The Student Room Group

RS A-Grade Essay structure - HELP!

Hi there,

I think everyone has the content grasp of most subjects, it's the way they structure it which proves to be the difference between a grade C and a grade A for example.

Can anyone show me a good essay structure to follow? I am really stuck at the moment..

Any help will be much appreciated my exam is in less than a week!

It depends on the question, but if for example I was asked to write about the main themes of Ignatius' writings I would do the following:

Paragraph One: Introduction / Background of Ignatius' life, i.e. when he became bishop, information (or lack thereof) about his family/birth. This paragraph is mainly a general paragraph to create the flow of the essay.

Paragraph Two: I would then discuss one of the major themes of his writing, i.e. Unity. So a load of general unity **** with quotes and whatnot, with a micro-conclusion at the end of this paragraph so I don't seem to abrupt starting to next paragraph.

Paragraph Three: Another theme such as heresy in the Church. Same as paragraph two basically.

Paragraph Four: At this point I'd probably be running out of time and would compress the final two themes of organisation in the Church and his martyrdom into this final main paragraph.

Paragraph Five: Conclusion. Summarise the main points you've made and include extra analysis.

Generally the first paragraph would be the introduction, the three middle paragraphs would be analysis of the question, and the final paragraph would be the conclusion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending