The Student Room Group

Is there anyone else studying a BTEC who wants/applied to a Russell Group university?

I currently study BTEC Public Services and would am thinking of applying to:
1. University of Bath
2. University of Nottingham
3. University of Sheffield
4. University of Surrey
5. University of Sussex/Exeter

To study Politics (and International Relations)
I know that I need DDD or DDM to study at all of these, is anyone else applying to university 2014 who studies a BTEC?
Scared I won't be taken too seriously because I didn't study A Levels.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not going to sugarcoat it, you will undoubtedly not be treated the same as those with A*/A grades at A-Level. Simply because BTEC is vocational and almost all universities are heavily exam based, and they think you won't have the skills to cope.

If you have a DDD then, there's a large chance you'll be considered for entry. However although they say they offer DDM BTEC, if you have DDM you'll probably be rejected.

I'm not going to lie to you, they always take the high grade A-Level students first. So you have to be a DDD BTEC student if you want any chance of getting in or being considered.
Reply 2
You will get filtered out systematically. Your application won't even be reviewed by a human probably.
I applied to Queens in Belfast (RG) and got an offer of D*D*D* which was very surprising... my lecturers have only heard of one person ever getting into the uni with a BTEC. But with recent events and RG uni's not filling places you have a better chance than ever, but expect a higher than usual offer.
Ow and I'm going to Surrey this September :smile: with my BTEC :P

My offer was DDD - I'm on track for D*D*D*.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jam'
You will get filtered out systematically. Your application won't even be reviewed by a human probably.

How would you know? Don't post useless crap when someone is asking for advice.
Original post by yellowcopter
I'm not going to sugarcoat it, you will undoubtedly not be treated the same as those with A*/A grades at A-Level. Simply because BTEC is vocational and almost all universities are heavily exam based, and they think you won't have the skills to cope.

If you have a DDD then, there's a large chance you'll be considered for entry. However although they say they offer DDM BTEC, if you have DDM you'll probably be rejected.

I'm not going to lie to you, they always take the high grade A-Level students first. So you have to be a DDD BTEC student if you want any chance of getting in or being considered.

I think you will find the RG uni's are finding it hard to fill places and are letting in people with below B's in alevels and I'm 100% certain they would take any DDD BTEC at this current time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10020516/Universities-forced-to-lower-entry-grades-to-fill-places.html

This article will open your eyes, maybe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AccountingBabe
I think you will find the RG uni's are finding it hard to fill places and are letting in people with below B's in alevels and I'm 100% certain they would take any DDD BTEC at this current time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10020516/Universities-forced-to-lower-entry-grades-to-fill-places.html

This article will open your eyes, maybe.

Stop thinking everyone is against you. Read my post thoroughly, where did I say that if you have a DDD you can't get in? I'm just saying they would take someone who wanted to go to a RG Uni with A*A*A* A-Level over a DDD student. Which is true.

I know anyone with DDD can easily get in, that's why I said if you have a DDD BTEC you'll get in no problem. But, as sad as it is to say, they will still take those with B grades in A-Level over those with MMM or DDM even.

All that article says is they'd rather take on dumber A-Level students then take on high BTEC students. Unless those BTEC students are all Distinction off the bat.
(edited 10 years ago)
Stop thinking everyone is against you. Read my post thoroughly, where did I say that if you have a DDD you can't get in? I'm just saying they would take someone who wanted to go to a RG Uni with A*A*A* A-Level over a DDD student. Which is true.

I know anyone with DDD can easily get in, that's why I said if you have a DDD BTEC you'll get in no problem. But, as sad as it is to say, they will still take those with B grades in A-Level over those with MMM or DDM even.

All that article says is they'd rather take on dumber A-Level students then take on high BTEC students. Unless those BTEC students are all Distinction off the bat.

Fair enough.

Yeah because there are no coursework based assessments at university at all...

That is not the reason why universities do not like BTECs. That is the same as saying that someone who studied Maths, History and Further Maths at A-level won't be treated the same as other A-level applicants because they didn't do any coursework and therefore the university thinks they do not have the skills to cope with the coursework side of the degree.

They do not like BTECs because there is no solid way to prove how it has been taught. Edexcel will give rules and do their best to moderate it, but really it is next to impossible and you will often get schools/colleges spoon-feeding their pupils and allowing them to re-sit modules several times. On top of that, all the graded work for BTECs are done with a textbook open, in other words not under exam conditions so the student wouldn't have revised the content in the same depth as someone studying for A-levels who needs to learn the entire module for one exam by heart if the want to do well.

It has nothing to do with the university thinking you lack examination skills.

A chance of being considered with DDD? They always take high grade A-levels first? You clearly know nothing about BTECs and know nothing about universities' admission process. Have you even applied to university yet or was your entire post nonsensical speculation based on what GCSE students on TSR have said about BTECs?

I applied to Queens in Belfast (RG) and got an offer of D*D*D* which was very surprising... my lecturers have only heard of one person ever getting into the uni with a BTEC. But with recent events and RG uni's not filling places you have a better chance than ever, but expect a higher than usual offer.

I've heard of plenty of people getting offers for Queen's with BTECs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Yeah because there are no coursework based assessments at university at all...

That is not the reason why universities do not like BTECs. That is the same as saying that someone who studied Maths, History and Further Maths at A-level won't be treated the same as other A-level applicants because they didn't do any coursework and therefore the university thinks they do not have the skills to cope with the coursework side of the degree.

They do not like BTECs because there is no solid way to prove how it has been taught. Edexcel will give rules and do their best to moderate it, but really it is next to impossible and you will often get schools/colleges spoon-feeding their pupils and allowing them to re-sit modules several times. On top of that, all the graded work for BTECs are done with a textbook open, in other words not under exam conditions so the student wouldn't have revised the content in the same depth as someone studying for A-levels who needs to learn the entire module for one exam by heart if the want to do well.

It has nothing to do with the university thinking you lack examination skills.

A chance of being considered with DDD? They always take high grade A-levels first? You clearly know nothing about BTECs and know nothing about universities' admission process. Have you even applied to university yet or was your entire post nonsensical speculation based on what GCSE students on TSR have said about BTECs?

Good luck getting into all the best universities with your BTEC. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Im doing a BTEC at the moment and was accepted by all five of my university choices :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck getting into all the best universities with your BTEC. :rolleyes:

Thanks, but no thanks. I don't need it. Already got an unconditional offer for UEA after I pulling out of York.
Thanks, but no thanks. I don't need it. Already got an unconditional offer for UEA after I pulling out of York.

Wow, UEA?! So jealous.
Reply 14
I'm doing a BTEC as well in Public Services, one of my Uni's I'm going to apply too is Liverpool which is in the RG
Wow, UEA?! So jealous.

Yeah well you see, as a little boy in a school with no experience of the real world I can expect childish remarks from you. It doesn't phase me one bit, you know why? Because I know that when it comes to graduate jobs the reputation of a university doesn't really matter, at least not the reputation differences between the likes of UEA and most of those in the Russell Group. What matters is the educational, work and personal experiences along the way combined with various other factors. UEA offered things that other universities I had offers for such as York and QUB couldn't offer.

On a side note I think it is rather amusing that you looked past the universities I had unconditional offers for to try and insult me by making the university I was going to out to be inferior. If you only took a step and and thought 'would a person who picks such a university over 'better' universities really care about a snide little comment from a little boy such as myself?'

I think you'll find the answer to that, is indeed no, I could not care what little boys like you think of my educational choices nor do I care what anyone thinks of it for that matter.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16

*******s I know several people at Queens with BTECs.
Yeah well you see, as a little boy in a school with no experience of the real world I can expect childish remarks from you. It doesn't phase me one bit, you know why? Because I know that when it comes to graduate jobs the reputation of a university doesn't really matter, at least not the reputation differences between the likes of UEA and most of those in the Russell Group. What matters is the educational, work and personal experiences along the way combined with various other factors. UEA offered things that other universities I had offers for such as York and QUB couldn't offer.

On a side note I think it is rather amusing that you looked past the universities I had unconditional offers for to try and insult me by making the university I was going to out to be inferior. If you only took a step and and thought 'would a person who picks such a university over 'better' universities really care about a snide little comment from a little boy such as myself?'

I think you'll find the answer to that, is indeed no, I could not care what little boys like you think of my educational choices nor do I care what anyone thinks of it for that matter.

Usually someone who doesn't care, doesn't choose to prove themselves in 2 paragraphs. Hmm.

I almost forgot to ask, why did you choose to do BTEC subjects over A-Level subjects?
Usually someone who doesn't care, doesn't choose to prove themselves in 2 paragraphs. Hmm.

I almost forgot to ask, why did you choose to do BTEC subjects over A-Level subjects?

I just like putting little boys such as yourself in their place when they suggest they know something about a topic they are obviously clueless in. It wasn't even 10 lines, hardly much effort.

I didn't choose a BTEC over A-level subjects. When did I say I did a BTEC? Your misinformed mindset assumed I did because I exposed your obvious gaps in the topic, you then resorted to petty insults to try make yourself feel better which included convincing yourself I did a BTEC and was therefore inferior to you.
Original post by Sgany
*******s I know several people at Queens with BTECs.

Fair enough, but the from what the lecturers at South West College have said, they believe it not to be the normal.

Also this is for Accountancy, not courses like drama or nurse courses where BTEC's are more specified in these areas.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending