Hi,

For A Level, which of the three sciences, in order, are:

Hardest
Most respected
Number of exams
Most enjoyable

Thanks a much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a completely subjective decision. The hardest science is debated - if you find maths hard, then physics is hard. If you find it hard to memorise facts, biology is hard. None of them are intrinsically the most respected, although possibly the general public think most of physics (but universities don't care). The most respected/useful might change depending on what you want to study at university. If you plan to study something mathematical/logical, then physics is best. If you plan to study something like psychology, biology might be most appropriate.

Most enjoyable is also up for debate - it depends on what you like, and what you are interested in. Personally, I would say chemistry, but then it is my favourite subject. Like I've said before - physics is heavily mathematical, although it requires no maths knowledge beyond GCSE (perhaps some basic logarithms) and physics is also based on understanding key concepts, whereas biology is more fact-based, and chemistry is somewhere in between.
Thank you! I'm hoping to study Law at university but I love science! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hardest: Definitely Chemistry. Always has the lowest grade boundaries for an A (reflecting on difficulty of papers)

Most respected: Both Physics and Chemistry are well respected, probably more than Biology which is still at AS more about memorising stuff than thinking.

Number of exams: Depends on your board, usually there is no difference for written exams (2 papers), although in Chemistry there are usually more assessed practicals , but again depends on exam boards.

Most enjoyable: Really dependant on yourself, and it's probably more important to base your potential enjoyment on your school's own departments - some people in other classes are hating physics with a new teacher, though I have a really eccentric physics teacher and everyone loves his lessons - it's really the teacher that makes it enjoyable.

Really you can't go wrong choosing any of the three sciences. You might find Physics more challenging if you're not so keen on maths (I knew someone who got a D in physics AS after choosing it over maths... she dropped it at A2 and managed to get into medicine in the end though), but then you need to put in quite a lot of effort to do well in Biology, as it's very heavy on content. Chemistry is kind of the middle child, you need to do quite a lot of learning when going onto organic mechanisms and remembering chemical tests for stuff... but then there's quite a lot of calculations as well, especially at A2 with the Arrhenius equation, pHs etc. which is why so many people find it hard. And of course you're a lot more likely to kill yourself in chemistry if you mess up practicals in handling carcinogenic organic compounds in practicals..... :tongue:. In all seriousness you'll probably get annoyed at doing assessed practicals, as mark schemes are so anal and obsessive - OCR is the worst culprit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Piguy
Hardest: Definitely Chemistry. Always has the lowest grade boundaries for an A (reflecting on difficulty of papers)

Most respected: Both Physics and Chemistry are well respected, probably more than Biology which is still at AS more about memorising stuff than thinking.

Number of exams: Depends on your board, usually there is no difference for written exams (2 papers), although in Chemistry there are usually more assessed practicals , but again depends on exam boards.

Most enjoyable: Really dependant on yourself, and it's probably more important to base your potential enjoyment on your school's own departments - some people in other classes are hating physics with a new teacher, though I have a really eccentric physics teacher and everyone loves his lessons - it's really the teacher that makes it enjoyable.

Really you can't go wrong choosing any of the three sciences. You might find Physics more challenging if you're not so keen on maths (I knew someone who got a D in physics AS after choosing it over maths... she dropped it at A2 and managed to get into medicine in the end though), but then you need to put in quite a lot of effort to do well in Biology, as it's very heavy on content. Chemistry is kind of the middle child, you need to do quite a lot of learning when going onto organic mechanisms and remembering chemical tests for stuff... but then there's quite a lot of calculations as well, especially at A2 with the Arrhenius equation, pHs etc. which is why so many people find it hard. And of course you're a lot more likely to kill yourself in chemistry if you mess up practicals in handling carcinogenic organic compounds in practicals..... :tongue:. In all seriousness you'll probably get annoyed at doing assessed practicals, as mark schemes are so anal and obsessive - OCR is the worst culprit.

Wow, that's really helpful! Thank you!

I love the teacher Ihave for all 3 sciences now, who teaches Biology at a Level. I like maths but I still find Physics very hard. I guess when it comes to choosing for final, I'll base it on:

GCSE Grade
Enjoyment through GCSE
Teacher
Etc.

This sound good?

Thank you so much for your reply! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Study_Read_Smile
Wow, that's really helpful! Thank you!

I love the teacher Ihave for all 3 sciences now, who teaches Biology at a Level. I like maths but I still find Physics very hard. I guess when it comes to choosing for final, I'll base it on:

GCSE Grade
Enjoyment through GCSE
Teacher
Etc.

This sound good?

Thank you so much for your reply! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The main key to success in A-Level physics is being Really-Profient in your maths skills. Also it can depend on your teacher, if you have a **** teacher than it can really mess you up. I guess Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths are all top-respected A-Levels however the end of the day it is all about YOUR ablitiy, if your a person who can memorise contexts of information and can explain stuff well, Biology should be easy for you.

(Source: I am currently finishing studying AS Level Maths, Physics, Chem, Bio)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending