The Student Room Group

Higher French 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
By the sounds of it we are all in the same position, not really done too much revision!
I'm cramming directed writing phrases because my grammar is horrific.
Fingers crossed the personal response is hobbies or something pretty simple.
Not revised one bit all year, today trying to learn my short essays, quite hard since I have 15 :s
Reply 142
Quick question: do you get penalised if you write over the word limit for your directed writing and short essay pieces? I can't seem to answer all bullet points in under 180 words (which tends to be the max. word limit) :confused:
Reply 143
Original post by srm4
Quick question: do you get penalised if you write over the word limit for your directed writing and short essay pieces? I can't seem to answer all bullet points in under 180 words (which tends to be the max. word limit) :confused:

I think you do, just write out your essay and cut out the stuff which isn't as good or phrases you are not sure of.
Reply 144
Original post by srm4

We were told that you can either be 15% over or 15% under the limits.. I doubt they will sit and count the exact number though. And unless it's clearly waaaaay over or under then you should be alright.
I did a directed writing earlier and it was around 205, but I think that would still be okay.. at least I hope so haha.
Reply 145
Does anyone have links to old listening's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 146
Original post by srm4

I'm the opposite to this, especially in the short essays where I can't think of things to say :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147
Could anyone tell me if this is correct or not?
1369746208887.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 148
Original post by Faye__1996
Not revised one bit all year, today trying to learn my short essays, quite hard since I have 15 :s

I recommend definitely not doing this - not only because the exam is tomorrow but also because you're better off memorising phrases from them instead. At least if you memorise selected phrases you can adapt them to the question in the exam much easier.
Reply 149
I think what happens if you are really over on the directed writing is they cross out all the words that you went over by and if you missed out the last bullet point once the words are crossed out then the max you can get is like a 6 or something. But I'm pretty sure you will get penalised. They wouldn't make a word limit if they didn't mind you going over it..
Reply 150
Do you have to write the word count?
Reply 151
I don't think so. I didn't on my higher german exam on friday. I counted it though to make sure it was long enough :smile:
Original post by Nfergs
Do you have to write the word count?

You just don't write below it. However if you write above the word count then nothing happens, providing that you are not making mistakes. You get no extra credit for having a longer piece. Keep it short and simple!
Reply 153
Original post by xoJennyox
You just don't write below it. However if you write above the word count then nothing happens, providing that you are not making mistakes. You get no extra credit for having a longer piece. Keep it short and simple!

I meant literally write the number of words below once you're finished :smile:
Original post by Nfergs
I meant literally write the number of words below once you're finished :smile:

I always write my word count paragraph by paragraph in the margin and then add it up at the end and double underline it, I think it saves the marker time, which gives him/her extra time to examine your piece. They don't always count the number of words though, if it looks about right they tend to just go with it
Original post by Nfergs
I recommend definitely not doing this - not only because the exam is tomorrow but also because you're better off memorising phrases from them instead. At least if you memorise selected phrases you can adapt them to the question in the exam much easier.

Really? My two teachers who mark for the SQA have told us all year the key is to learn your essays :s and learn a directed writing on work and one on school, good luck for tomorrow :smile:
Reply 156
Does anyone know if the same thing that came up for german could come up for french since the short essay was on future plans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
Just looked on the SQA site and there's not been a listening and short essay on health since 2005. :beard:
Reply 158
Do words such as l'on and j'ai count as two words in the Writing?
Reply 159
Does anyone have any good phrases/essay for health they would be willing to share as I don't have a sample one of it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending