The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

does this warrant extenuating circumstances?

Hello,

I was just wondering whether or not I should request a mitigating circumstance form. I have my history exam final on monday and ive just discovered earlier a close friend of mine has potentially committed suicide in his university flat.

To say im upset is a freaking understatement, i cant concentrate or really even revise. I feel sick..

What should I do, suck it up or say something ?

thanks for any help..
Reply 1
Hi,

First just to say that's an awful situation and I hope you're feeling alright! I think it ought to be a definite extenuating circumstance, although you may need to provide evidence to prove the incident, which may be tricky. Speak to the head of exams in your college and ask their advice.

Hope you went alright today, nobody can be expected to perform to their best with that happening, and I really hope you got the grades you needed regardless. May be an idea to send a letter to the uni directly and inform of the issue so they know what to expect on results day :-)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
The exam went well, I knuckled down and just got into that Nazi history mode! Fingers crossed:')
The only 'consideration' you will get is from the exam boards - your school will need to send a formal letter on your behalf if they think it affected your exam performance.
yes it is, you need evidence.
As terrible as this news is the exam boards will barely care :/ I forget what the amount they'll give you maximum in marks is but its a small percentage and apparently its of the marks you actually earned... I know because during my As exams I'd just developed narcolepsy and didn't know till a little while after and they really didn't give much consideration to the fact that I was pretty much unable to stay fully awake in several exams... Also a few years back someone at my school had a believe it was a brain tumour but it may have been another cancer and insisted on doing their tests they'd worked hard for for the years before-now I think they died either shortly before or shortly after their exam results :frown: (we were told in assembly) but basically the exam boards still gave them UK's and He's despite the fact they were in hospital and terminally I'll when taking them.... So hopefully you've done well and won't be relying on extenuating circumstances

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending