The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe you're the first.
Reply 2
Original post by A-Dog
Maybe you're the first.

I doubt it. There are people who come out with thirds and 2:2s at Cambridge.
Reply 3
Original post by Egolessness

Well then, you have answered your question, and my work here is done
Reply 4

You're implying that anyone getting 2:2 or below from Cambridge are stupid?

Therefore further implying that anyone with average intelligence must get at least a 2:1 from consistently one of the best and most demanding places of learning on the planet?

Good heavens, we're surrounded by idiots then.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

And they're not stupid. In my first year, 40% of the people (at least) got a 2.ii or a third. Are you saying 40% of people admitted to Natural Sciences at Cambridge are stupid?

Some subjects have over 30% of the year group getting below a 2.1. They are certainly not all stupid.
Reply 7
I am a total moron who seems to be superseded by the abilities of other people fairly often yet I, somehow, possess a Cambridge offer. I'm just wondering if there will be other utter morons there who I will be able to relate to rather than feeling constantly inferior to my intellectual superiors...

At one freshers' intro the tutor asked the audience how many thought their offer was probably a mistake and rumour has it well over half the audience put up their hand. Whilst they do make mistakes I don't think anybody who gets in qualifies as stupid. It is normal to be daunted by the realisation that the average ability will be higher than it was at school and many people find it take a while to adjust to not always being "top" without going to the other extreme and being too pessimistic.
Reply 8
Original post by Topaz_eyes
And they're not stupid. In my first year, 40% of the people (at least) got a 2.ii or a third. Are you saying 40% of people admitted to Natural Sciences at Cambridge are stupid?

They must be.
They must be.

So you think the Cambridge engineering/medicine/maths/NatSci departments regularly fill 35% of their intake with stupid people, despite being some of the most competitive courses in the country?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Chief Wiggum
So you think the Cambridge engineering/medicine/maths/NatSci departments regularly fill 35% of their intake with stupid people, despite being some of the most competitive courses in the country?

No, but they are noticeably less intelligent than the other students.
(edited 10 years ago)
No, but they are noticeably less intelligent than the other students.

So, your definition of a "stupid person" is "someone below the average intelligence of a Cambridge student"?

Besides that being a completely ridiculous definition, then what was the point of this thread? By definition there'll be people below the Cambridge average in Cambridge.
Reply 12
So, your definition of a "stupid person" is "someone below the average intelligence of a Cambridge student"?

Besides that being a completely ridiculous definition, then what was the point of this thread? By definition there'll be people below the Cambridge average in Cambridge.

Yes my definition is along those lines, although I do recognise that many people who do not go to Cambridge exceed the average intelligence of a Cambridge student by miles. The point of the thread was the gauge whether those people who are below the Cambridge average standard will be more relatable.
Yes my definition is along those lines, although I do recognise that many people who do not go to Cambridge exceed the average intelligence of a Cambridge student by miles. The point of the thread was the gauge whether those people who are below the Cambridge average standard will be more relatable.

What do you mean by relateable?

I don't notice any relationship between how "normal" someone is, and how well they do academically here.
Reply 14
What do you mean by relateable?

I don't notice any relationship between how "normal" someone is, and how well they do academically here.

"Relateable" isn't a word. I don't make friends with "normal" people, I make friends with people who I don't consider myself to be academically and intellectually inferior to hence my question about relating to smart people at Cambridge who aren't going to outshine or undermine me in every single conversation I have with them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just my opinion - but on the topic of 2:2s etc. from cambridge - from my friend's experience of oxford the 2:2s from oxbridge are probably worth more than 1sts from other places - they don't indicate people are stupid.
Reply 16
Where did I say that?
You're probably not a moron at all. The problem will be that you've been brought up in the wrong value system, so everyone seems superior to you only by cultural standards, as opposed to universal intellectual standards. Your strengths and weaknesses in your upbringing may have been totally opposite if you were born into a different country, different lifestyle, or whatever. So you're probably judging yourself with the wrong perspective, and I guess admissions departments, specially for a place like Cambridge, can quickly see through the more simple/unnecessary measurements of character.

I do maths so I know somewhat more about it that other subjects. The worst Cambridge students have achieved pretty decent marks in STEP, an exam which is in my opinion far more challenging in terms of problem-solving element than the durham undergrad exams (although obviously less material-wise). Almost all of those people would get a first at durham, which is one of the top UK universities.

I imagine it is similar in other subjects. No-one at Cambridge is stupid.
Reply 19
One of my seminar tutors is a Cambridge grad and they're a bit of a moron so I guess you won't be alone.

Latest

Trending

Trending