The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Best Accomodation For Mature Students

Hi All

I will be starting university in September and am making my accommodation choices. I have changed it 3 times now after reading your reviews, frankly I'm stuck as to the best choice.

The fact is I am a mature student in 40s....ish :redface: so my needs are slightly different I DON'T LIKE LOUD NOISE!:smile:

Seriously though I have chosen Parkwood flats because finance will no way allow me to go up market.

Any reasonable accommodation suggestions guys would be much appreciated.

J
Original post by juie4me
Hi All

I will be starting university in September and am making my accommodation choices. I have changed it 3 times now after reading your reviews, frankly I'm stuck as to the best choice.

The fact is I am a mature student in 40s....ish :redface: so my needs are slightly different I DON'T LIKE LOUD NOISE!:smile:

Seriously though I have chosen Parkwood flats because finance will no way allow me to go up market.

J

Hi juie4me,

In your accommodation application form there is a free-text book in which you can include any information you would like. If you would prefer to live with other mature students (since it might be less noisy!), you can write this in your application. If the student makes this request, the accommodation office tries to allocate mature students to the same corridor or house.

I hope this helps, but if you need any further information just ask!

Thanks,

Marta
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
I think it depends on your personality and tastes. I am also a mature student and have gone for a self contained room with toilet and shower. shared kitchen. with the flat shares they are already taking about house parties. being all around 18 they will love it but as we are both twice that age I personally would be happy with 1 party a month, if that. Check out the facebook kent freshers page. htere is also a mature students page with good info on it but hardly anyone uses it. Good luck for september. maybe i'll see you there.
Original post by juie4me
Hi All

J
Reply 3
Original post by University of Kent
Hi juie4me,

In your accommodation application form there is a free-text book in which you can include any information you would like. If you would prefer to live with other mature students (since it might be less noisy!), you can write this in your application. If the student makes this request, the accommodation office tries to allocate mature students to the same corridor or house.

I hope this helps, but if you need any further information just ask!

Thanks,

Marta

Hi Marta

Many thanks for your reply I will definitely do that.

Judith
:smile:
Reply 4
Many thanks Tobie for your helpful reply I will definitely check the Freshers Page.

All the best
Reply 5
Original post by juie4me
Hi All

J

Hey,

If you have considered living off campus (which is considerably cheaper!) I can offer you the opportunity to team up with two mature guys who have just finished their first year studying wildlife conservation.

I'm 27 and have been living in parkwood flats this past academic year. Even though I requested to live with mature students I still ended up with several teenagers and subsequently our flat became the hub for the entire block! I can't fault the en-suite rooms for comfort, but it is a block of flats which are far from soundproof.

I probably sound really miserable, haha. I'm just being honest though, in hindsight I definitely would've looked off campus.

If you're interested in my offer, let me know :smile:

Gareth
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by pork eye
Hey,

If you have considered living off campus (which is considerably cheaper!) I can offer you the opportunity to team up with two mature guys who have just finished their first year studying wildlife conservation.

I'm 27 and have been living in parkwood flats this past academic year. Even though I requested to live with mature students I still ended up with several teenagers and subsequently our flat became the hub for the entire block! I can't fault the en-suite rooms for comfort, but it is a block of flats which are far from soundproof.

I probably sound really miserable, haha. I'm just being honest though, in hindsight I definitely would've looked off campus.

If you're interested in my offer, let me know :smile:

Gareth

Many thanks Gareth

This advice was really useful I will certainly consider living off campus. I am particularly concerned about the sound-proofing as I have lived in my own flat for 8 years and the sound-proofing felt like I was living in my neighbours' flats at times. Not very practical where bedrooms are concerned!

Not so sure living by myself with 2 males is the best arrangement for me :rolleyes: I am however very grateful for the offer and conservation conversations would have been really interesting indeed.

All the best and thank you again

Judith

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending