The Student Room Group

How to prepare for A levels over summer?

Hi, I have just finished my i/gcse's and am taking the following subjects at AS level as of September:
Math (edexcel)
Chemistry (edexcel)
Biology (edexcel)
Religious studies (OCR)

If there are any preparations that you did that helped or that you think would help, please let me know :smile: I am most worried about Chem&Math.

Oh, and can someone also explain to me how the modules work? I don't really understand.

Thanks!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
In AS maths there are 3 modules c1/c2/s1 which is statistics. examsolutions is a fantastic website for maths tutorials and past papers.
Reply 2
Original post by qr95
In AS maths there are 3 modules c1/c2/s1 which is statistics. examsolutions is a fantastic website for maths tutorials and past papers.

Thanks! I will be sure to check it out :smile:
Original post by ella345
Hi, I have just finished my i/gcse's and am taking the following subjects at AS level as of September:
Math (edexcel)
Chemistry (edexcel)
Biology (edexcel)
Religious studies (OCR)

If there are any preparations that you did that helped or that you think would help, please let me know :smile: I am most worried about Chem&Math.

Oh, and can someone also explain to me how the modules work? I don't really understand.

Thanks!!!

The best preparation is to revise all your GCSE work just before starting - I found this particularly useful for Chemistry. You will probably spend the first couple of weeks at college basically revising this stuff anyway but it is still a very good idea to make sure you are ahead of everyone else! Just make sure you are at a good A/A* level - most students probably achieved these grades at GCSE and so it is important that you are at the same standard (at least) as everyone else - otherwise you will get confused when one new thing you learn builds upon something else that everyone else (except you) had learnt at GCSE, then you won't understand the next bit, then you'll fall behind the rest of the class. Which brings me on to my next point - keep on top of the work! We were set pre-enrollment work to do before we started college, make sure you answer all the questions and have understood it all before you start college. And keep up with all the work throughout your time at college - there is less checking-up on your progress and sometimes teachers don't check that you have done your homework/ set you 'optional' homework, but do it anyway! Just make sure you understand everything as you go along and don't be afraid to ask for help/ go to lunchtime workshops if you are struggling :smile:
Reply 4
I do edexcel maths, and i got an A (90% UMS) at AS. what i did was go through the book, don't go through every question, but read the examples in the edexcel books, THEY ARE THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER USED. Do the exam style questions at the end, it's in the mixed exercise. Ask your school for the CD that comes along with the book or order it yourself, since there's only answers for the questions, no actual step by step break down. Don't do LOTS of past papers, do past papers, but take time to understand where you went wrong, it's not about how much you do, but rather how you do it. I only did about 6 past papers for Core 2, and got 94 UMS.

I do AQA chemistry, and biology.

For AS biology, it's all about the your exam technique, i was rather crap at this, i got a B in unit 1, i then resat it and got an A. Make sure you highlight words, and learn the keywords, don't just regurgitate facts, that will not get you anywhere in a level. For bio, i'd say do past papers, the more you do, the better, because bio is all about application questions, especially A2. AQA have lots of past papers that you can find by asking your teachers. I used the CGP book for AS bio, and unit 4 bio, because the cgp books are really good for a level biology, apart from unit 5.

For chemistry, it's more about understanding the science, like maths, you have to understand why it happens. So, rather than just doing past papers, make sure you understand the content. Chemistry was my best subject at AS, even better than maths, lol. And what i did was to go through the specification, make sure you understand every little bit, and always do the summary questions in your book (AQA).

Hope this helps, i have core 4 edexcel tomorrow, and it's a replacement paper, yay!!!! (Sarcasm)
Reply 5
Will do! Thanks you are an angel :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by dragonkeeper999
The best preparation is to revise all your GCSE work just before starting - I found this particularly useful for Chemistry. You will probably spend the first couple of weeks at college basically revising this stuff anyway but it is still a very good idea to make sure you are ahead of everyone else! Just make sure you are at a good A/A* level - most students probably achieved these grades at GCSE and so it is important that you are at the same standard (at least) as everyone else - otherwise you will get confused when one new thing you learn builds upon something else that everyone else (except you) had learnt at GCSE, then you won't understand the next bit, then you'll fall behind the rest of the class. Which brings me on to my next point - keep on top of the work! We were set pre-enrollment work to do before we started college, make sure you answer all the questions and have understood it all before you start college. And keep up with all the work throughout your time at college - there is less checking-up on your progress and sometimes teachers don't check that you have done your homework/ set you 'optional' homework, but do it anyway! Just make sure you understand everything as you go along and don't be afraid to ask for help/ go to lunchtime workshops if you are struggling :smile:

Alrighty, thank you! Yeah, I need to go over a few topics that I struggled with for igcse
Reply 7
Original post by Aillias
I do edexcel maths, and i got an A (90% UMS) at AS. what i did was go through the book, don't go through every question, but read the examples in the edexcel books, THEY ARE THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER USED. Do the exam style questions at the end, it's in the mixed exercise. Ask your school for the CD that comes along with the book or order it yourself, since there's only answers for the questions, no actual step by step break down. Don't do LOTS of past papers, do past papers, but take time to understand where you went wrong, it's not about how much you do, but rather how you do it. I only did about 6 past papers for Core 2, and got 94 UMS.

I do AQA chemistry, and biology.

For AS biology, it's all about the your exam technique, i was rather crap at this, i got a B in unit 1, i then resat it and got an A. Make sure you highlight words, and learn the keywords, don't just regurgitate facts, that will not get you anywhere in a level. For bio, i'd say do past papers, the more you do, the better, because bio is all about application questions, especially A2. AQA have lots of past papers that you can find by asking your teachers. I used the CGP book for AS bio, and unit 4 bio, because the cgp books are really good for a level biology, apart from unit 5.

For chemistry, it's more about understanding the science, like maths, you have to understand why it happens. So, rather than just doing past papers, make sure you understand the content. Chemistry was my best subject at AS, even better than maths, lol. And what i did was to go through the specification, make sure you understand every little bit, and always do the summary questions in your book (AQA).

Hope this helps, i have core 4 edexcel tomorrow, and it's a replacement paper, yay!!!! (Sarcasm)

Okay, thanks! I will see which books my school gives me and if they aren't those ones I will order them...I already bought the CGP revision books for my topics but I haven't really looked at them yet. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I will try to use it lol, and good luck for your exam!
Reply 8
Yeah could anyone recommend the best A level maths textbooks, that I could get started on over summer, to get ahead?
Reply 9
Take a look at this website has tutorials. In AS you will defo be doing c1 and c2. And either s1 or m1 depending on if your doing physics and chemistry I think

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/specification.php

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by qr95
Take a look at this website has tutorials. In AS you will defo be doing c1 and c2. And either s1 or m1 depending on if your doing physics and chemistry I think

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/specification.php

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks! Will do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest