The Student Room Group

Is it sad to go camping on your own?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justforlolz
Hey guys

I love camping in the lake district but no one i know is free to go anytime soon. Im thinking of just going on my own for a week, camping up a mountain for that entire time and bringing enough food and supplies with me etc. ive done it before but with someone and it was awesome. But is it a bit sad and pathetic to do iton your own?

What are views?

:smile:

For obvious reasons do take a mobile phone, tell people where you are going and when (down to a grid reference) and preferably stay at a proper campsite or in an area covered by a ranger service. Don't go hiking up high mountains alone - bear in mind the effects of the cold, sudden illness, poachers, weird people, no phone signal, poor or even terrible weather..

You might find it helpful to create a plan of "what ifs", e.g. "Thunder and Lightning storm", "Vomiting", "Loss of phone signal" etc - and work through a plan..

Have camped in conditions where someone developed a vomiting bug, someone had a hyperventilation attack (not serious but distressing for the sufferer), tent collapsed, food was cooked on an open fire (which requires someone to feed, and someone to gather kindling unless you want to spend hours trying to get supper!), tent leaked and most stuff ended up soaking.. All of those things were helped by the fact that there was a group of us and we could all take on specific roles in sorting situations out.

It *is* possible - I know it is, because when I was a girl guide and sat a specific award solo bivouacking was one of the challenges offered to us. It just doesn't seem worth it though..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by cosimakarateman
ok, chavs from the local council estate then. haven't you seen that camping film Eden Lake

No council estates up the mountains bro
Reply 22
Thanks to all who left nice, sensible comments :smile:
Reply 23
Camping alone is a different experience to camping with someone else. It could get boring, especially if you're wild camping. A week-long of camping may be a bit too ambitious and long so I would suggest reconsidering the duration.

Nevertheless, I'd encourage solo-camping if you can't find anyone to go with you. It's not sad and pathetic; many people camp alone. Don't let the absence of like-minded friends get in the way of what you want to do.
Reply 24
yes very sad
Yes it is a bit, unless you are a hobbyist mountaineer: I suggest you find a local mountaineering club as I appreciate how hard it must be to convince people to spend a weekend up a windy mountain.

I've been up Scafell Pike myself and it was amazing! I wouldn't let it stop you going if you really want to, but in the long term I suggest you join a club.
Reply 26
There is nothing wrong, but it might get a little boring.
Reply 27
I love camping, however it probably won't be anywhere near as fun without someone to share the experience with and a week may be a pretty long time to spend by yourself. As others have pointed out there are safety issues, I would take their advice and stay at a campsite with other people nearby in case of any kind of emergency.
Reply 28
Hey guys

I love camping in the lake district but no one i know is free to go anytime soon. Im thinking of just going on my own for a week, camping up a mountain for that entire time and bringing enough food and supplies with me etc. ive done it before but with someone and it was awesome. But is it a bit sad and pathetic to do iton your own?

What are views?

No, not at all!
FU

No thanks.
Reply 30
No, it's not sad. I like spending time on my own and could imagine it being rather relaxing.

You might as well try it and if you get bored you can just go home.
My dad told me he used to go camping by himself and I thought it was a bit odd.

But it doesn't really matter what other people think. It's nice to be independent.
Reply 32
I'd say go for it, don't let what others think hold u back! Just make sure you take proper safety precautions ect, as you wont have a friend to help you out if you get in a muddle.
Hey guys

What are views?

I say go for it!

I've done a few similar things on my own in the past, it's a good opportunity for some you time and to clear your head.

Although, I hiked the South Downs Way a few years ago on my own, camping too. By the fourth day I did go slightly crazy from being on my own for too long. I had one too many conversations with myself... :crazy:

Do take a mobile with back up power (Battery USB Chargers are handy), and make sure friends/relatives know where you're going to be too.
Who cares what people think, I personally think if you've got the skills/don't mind being on your own for a while go for it. I wish I had the guts to do something like that on my own!

And to all the people saying it is sad, would be curious to see what interesting hobbies/skills you have! :smile:
Reply 35
Not sad, just make sure you're prepared for anything that could happen and have a solid evac plan for if it all goes wrong. I travel alone a lot, my friends and parents are rather less adventurous than me (I can happily tramp around the countryside for weeks on end, my mum can't bear to leave her hair dryer :tongue:). It's quite liberating in a way, you don't have to deal with anybody else and you're completely free to do what you want. I'm off to Cornwall for 3 weeks this summer, going to be backpacking along the coast and surfing and swimming and generally having a great time with whoever I meet along the way :smile:
Reply 36
If I was you, I'd camp alone. No point in taking someone you don't want to and its a good place to clear you're head
Reply 37
Theres no wild bears in england bro

:holmes:
Reply 38
Theres no wild bears in england bro

You've obviously never seen the women where I live then.
On a kind of related note, have you seen the Swedish guy who got rid of his house and everything and moved into the woods with his tent and his laptop? He said he's gonna stay homeless until his business takes off. He's a computer programmer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest