The Student Room Group

How long after taking Rigevidon am I protected?

Hello everyone

I have started taking the pill this month. (21 day packs with 7 day breaks)
I started taking my pill on the first day of my period (since June 14th) and I have taken it at exactly the same time since then.

I am due to visit my boyfriend on June 30th, by that time I would have taken 16 or 17 pills before we have sex. I will take the four remaining pills at his house at the scheduled time.
Since I started my pill on the first day of my period and it would have been more than 2 weeks since starting it, can we have unprotected sex?

A lot of companies and sites say if taken on the first day of your period immediate protection happens, and if taken any other time after 7 days of taking it correctly you will not get pregnant, so I should be fine right?

Thank you!

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Yes, you will be fine after 7 days of taking the pill at the same time every day. Did the GP who gave you the prescription for Rigevidon not explain this? I'm on Rigevidon myself but I always use condoms as well as the thought of getting pregnant makes me anxious.
Reply 3
Nope he didn't say anything about it. He wasn't very nice to me actually, I asked about having counselling for anxiety/personal problems and he basically told me to get over it and said that "if i'm confident enough to go to the doctor for birth control I don't need help"!!! (I was actually with a family member.) He wasn't very nice and I didn't stick around for long. He made me feel like a time waster.

Anyway, thank you very much! You have put my mind at ease :smile:

I wouldn't mind more answers/insight from other posters as well guys :smile:
Original post by kittenpaw
Nope he didn't say anything about it. He wasn't very nice to me actually, I asked about having counselling for anxiety/personal problems and he basically told me to get over it and said that "if i'm confident enough to go to the doctor for birth control I don't need help"!!! (I was actually with a family member.) He wasn't very nice and I didn't stick around for long. He made me feel like a time waster.

Anyway, thank you very much! You have put my mind at ease :smile:

I wouldn't mind more answers/insight from other posters as well guys :smile:

You're supposed to be protected immediately after taking the first pill on the first day of the month however some people say to make sure you use back up protection for the 1st 7 days or month of taking the pill. This is because your body may not be used to it yet and it may not be so protective against pregnancy. I'm on the same pill as you and I waited a month just to be cautious! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
You're supposed to be protected immediately after taking the first pill on the first day of the month however some people say to make sure you use back up protection for the 1st 7 days or month of taking the pill. This is because your body may not be used to it yet and it may not be so protective against pregnancy. I'm on the same pill as you and I waited a month just to be cautious! :smile:

Thanks a lot! Is there a way to test if it has become effective? I've had no bad side effects, like headaches or nausea or no sickness. Would I be able to be tested to see if it has worked? Sounds dumb but I'm curious.
When I get there I'll only have 4 pills left so that's close enough to the months supply right?

I feel better now, I think I will go with the internet information and not use another backup, if this fails it will be my fault but seeing as I only see my boyfriend 2 - 3 times a year if I'm lucky then I will take the risk because this is a special bonding thing for us. :smile:
I started the pill four days ago and had (accidentally) unprotected sex the 5th day. I came off my period the 4th day. Do I need emergency contraceptives? Help please!!
Reply 7
Original post by fenfromthehills
I started the pill four days ago and had (accidentally) unprotected sex the 5th day. I came off my period the 4th day. Do I need emergency contraceptives? Help please!!

When did you start taking it? If you started on the first day of your period youre fine. If any other day, or if you have missed any pills or been sick etc then no, you're not covered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been taking this pill for 5 days now but I didn't start it on he first day of my period. Since then u have had unprotected sex 4 times but he only ejaculated in me 2/3 times i think,
Basically I just want to know if I'm covered or not!?
Reply 9
Original post by Flylikeabird98
I have been taking this pill for 5 days now but I didn't start it on he first day of my period. Since then u have had unprotected sex 4 times but he only ejaculated in me 2/3 times i think,
Basically I just want to know if I'm covered or not!?

No, you're not covered. It takes 7 days if you didn't start it on the first day of your period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My girlfriend has been on pill for 10years!jst had her period not taking the pill in a week to 10 days we had unprotected sex on the Tuesday and she forgot to take it till sat morning?are we ok or should be worried?any info would be great folks

Thank you
I started taking the same pill last Tuesday evening. last night (Monday) I had unprotected sex, Ive taken 7 pills so far. Am I protected asim not sure if this is after the 7 day period or if I'm still in it!
Reply 12
Original post by Chloepeng
I started taking the same pill last Tuesday evening. last night (Monday) I had unprotected sex, Ive taken 7 pills so far. Am I protected asim not sure if this is after the 7 day period or if I'm still in it!

After 7 days of taking the pill regularly, you are protected. If you missed any then you are advice to use condoms
Reply 13
i take the pill regularly everyday and wait the seven days as it says on the packet. After i too the seven day break i started taking the pill again, after four days i had unprotected sex, will i be protected?
Can you get pregnant with unprotected sex whilst taking rigevidon I have only taken four?
Reply 15
I have stopped taking the rivegdon pills for nearly a month now is their a chance I would get pregnant if I had unprocted sex and if Iv been taking them for 7months?? What are my chances
Reply 16
Iv been on the rivegdon pills for 7month. Stopped taking them for a month now today I had unprocted sex what’s the chances of me getting pregnant
Hello,I started taking the pill on the first day on my period. But my periods hasn’t stopped and it’s the 2nd day. Just wondering when will they stop?
i have just started taking the rigevidon pill 5 days ago and today the condom accidentally slipped off inside me but didnt realise til afterwards, but certain it was near the end that it came off. it had a lot of sperm inside the condom so do you think the 5 days of taking the pill plus the likelihood of most sperm being caught by the condom be enough cover for me not getting pregnant? please reply im extremely nervous and it is eating away at me

Quick Reply

Latest