The Student Room Group

Going to university without visiting first, Brave or Stupid?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I haven't seen my uni yet! but its only a building, the course that matter.
I didn't visit my uni before I went and I ended up hating it and dropping out lolz
Reply 42
Okay - so I know it's easier for me because I live in Scotland and was going to a Scottish uni.

I visited all the pre 1992 uni's that do my course before I decided where to apply.
I applied for 5 uni's, I got offers from them all.
I visited all 5 unis again before I decided which one to accept.

Before I visited any I thought I knew my order of preference.
After the first visit this changed completely - my first choice became a uni I wasn't even going to apply for.
After second visit my first choice was the same but the others changed order.

I would visit - you're going to spend years there - it's worth it.
Now I'm at a uni that I wasn't even going to apply for and I love it so much I can't even explain.
Reply 43
Damn . It's not a good idea to read this thread, after firming Edinburgh . . . I hope I won't regret it. I really do.
Reply 44
I really don't see how it makes you brave... :lolwut:
But yeah I will be doing same as you OP:smile:
Reply 45
Original post by _Emilyy
So I was just wondering if anybody would go to a university that they really liked the look of but didn't visit before starting their course? I am thinking of doing this because the uni I'm thinking of looks great but I thought the same about another one, visited it and ended up hating it. So what does everyone think; is it stupid to take such a risk? Or is it brave to just go for it?
And has anyone started at a uni that they hadn't previously visited? What were your experiences like? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Currently just finished my first year of uni. I applied to where I am and I did not visit it before hand. I was called for an interview and I hated the place when I went. I thought it was just nerves which made me hate the place so I accepted the offer and ended up going there. Turns out I still hate the place and it is rare for a week to go by without me thinking about the stupidity in my choice back then.
Reply 46
Original post by Promilla
Damn . It's not a good idea to read this thread, after firming Edinburgh . . . I hope I won't regret it. I really do.

Hmm Edinburgh - my first choice on paper, dropped to bottom following a visit. However, that's me - no reason why you shouldn't like it.
nope, I hadnt visited either of mine - however I did know the cities very well and researched deeply online

one uni was only for 3/4 month course so not a massive commitment and it was the uni my aunt attended

the other I already knew several students (and had even crashed with friends in the halls before)

out of my 5 practical choices (I cant move due to very ill family members) there was only 3 that offered my course and one of them wasn't accredited so that only left two and I really didn't want to go to Durham (I grew up as a Durham local and we hate the students a Durham, they tend to be so rude and self important and trample our tiny city although that is probably the minority it leaves an impression) so my uni was the only sensible one for me anyway
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm doing this!

"YOLO" (prepares to get negged)
Reply 49
Visit several imo, visit the local uni even if you don't intend to apply there just to get a wider basis for comparison.

To state the obvious you're not guaranteed to hate it and drop out if you don't visit. You're reducing the odds against yourself at a fairly minor expense.
I think it's probably most important if you're the first in your family to go to a uni, perhaps least so if your parents, aunties, uncles and their ancestors all went to the same place you're applying to.
Original post by daisystones
Hi,

I want to put 2 Scottish universities down for my choices (Edinburgh and St Andrews). I live in Lincolnshire which is about a 6-hours drive away, my Mum suggested that I apply without visiting, and then visit if I get an offer. This is an awful idea, if you get an offer, then visit and hate it then you'll have wasted a choice and it will all have been a waste. My teachers at school all feel the same way so now my Mum has agreed to drive me.

If you struggle to get to an open day then you can always make alternative arrangements with the university. But I think applying without visiting is a bad decision!

I think your mum is right. I applied to both of them but didn't visit first because it cost a fortune when I went to look at glasgow. I didn't get an offer from St Andrews and I'm glad I didn't waste money going up there. Just look at lots of reviews and videos before you apply to see if the life there could suit you.
Reply 51
Original post by Short Story Long
I think your mum is right. I applied to both of them but didn't visit first because it cost a fortune when I went to look at glasgow. I didn't get an offer from St Andrews and I'm glad I didn't waste money going up there. Just look at lots of reviews and videos before you apply to see if the life there could suit you.

putting that expense in perspective... If all goes well you're probably going to need to make 3 return journies per year for 4 years.
Its very stupid. You can take one day out of your life to visit a place which will be your home and place of study for the next three years (potentially four or five depending) or you can leave it up to chance? When I visited universities, I was looking for a feeling of 'Yeah I can see myself being here' or 'Yes I want to be here!'

I did exactly the same thing last year and applied to universities without visiting them, I was settled on my offer to study History at the University of Bristol, but eventually I did visit the university but only after I'd made my choices. It turned out that it wasn't for me, I got there and felt nothing for it. A year later, on my gap year, I visited three universities to see if they were for me, two of them were, I had a gut instinct and fell in love with them. That's why its so important because your decision on your choice of university shouldn't be based on league tables, "prestige" or being a Russell Group, it should be based on your individual connection to a university that is suitable to you.
Reply 53
I applied to universities without ever visiting them but with I saw the inside of the university when I went on my interviews.

I don't think it makes a difference whether you go to the open day or not, I'm not sure why anyone would go in fact, unless brick walls, lecture rooms and libraries are fun activities for you.
Reply 54
Original post by MissL
Hmm Edinburgh - my first choice on paper, dropped to bottom following a visit. However, that's me - no reason why you shouldn't like it.

Could you say perhaps, why you didn't like it? Of course, I cannot change anything now, but I would like to know.
Original post by _Emilyy
So I was just wondering if anybody would go to a university that they really liked the look of but didn't visit before starting their course? I am thinking of doing this because the uni I'm thinking of looks great but I thought the same about another one, visited it and ended up hating it. So what does everyone think; is it stupid to take such a risk? Or is it brave to just go for it?
And has anyone started at a uni that they hadn't previously visited? What were your experiences like? :tongue:

Definitely visit it if you can! Such an important decision you really don't want to leave it to chance. If it's too expensive, though, which uni is it? Maybe posting on the forums here and asking current students what the campus etc. is like will give you a feel for what it's like if you honestly can't visit :smile:
Original post by Joinedup
putting that expense in perspective... If all goes well you're probably going to need to make 3 return journies per year for 4 years.

I really wouldn't mind that, that to me is worthwhile expense, but to go visit them when I didn't know if there was even a chance for me to get an offer wasn't. If I got the offer I would have gone to see St Andrews.
It's neither brave nor stupid. I joined my uni without actually visiting first because I had two main choices but could only afford to visit one. I just did a lot of research on the other (the one I chose) to see if I would like it. I certainly don't regret my decision.
(edited 10 years ago)
I didn't visit my UNi before I went and have just received a 2:1 from there which is great , I loved every second and had an amazing time . Having said that, you have nothing to lose in going to visit the place , there is a chance you could go and hate it and you don't want that. Good luck xox
Reply 59
Original post by Promilla
Could you say perhaps, why you didn't like it? Of course, I cannot change anything now, but I would like to know.

I'm not sure it was anything really specific - I just didn't feel very comfortable there. The open day consisted of being herded round lecture theatres. As a science student I would have liked to see the labs, but even though they were empty they were shut. At all the other places I visited they couldn't do enough for you, they made you and your parents feel really welcome and did small group tours of the labs and other facilities and generally made me feel that they would like to have me there.

I have plenty of friends at Edinburgh and they all love it - i just didn't feel it was for me.

Edited to add this :- Edinburgh was my first choice until I visited, before that I hadn't really thought about going anywhere else, but I liked everywhere else better after visiting.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending