The Student Room Group

My boyfriend avoids sexual contact, it upsets me but I can't break up with him...

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps he's gay
Reply 41
Original post by OedipusTheKing
A lot of women have said that to me and it was nonsense when they said it; would he be with you if he didn't find you attractive?

He says I am but he'd get in trouble if he said otherwise lol.
Reply 42
Original post by peace12456
Perhaps he's gay

He says he hates the thought of men with men, we've discussed it.
asexual or secretly gay
Reply 44
If you force him that's rape so be wary of how far you get him to go if he doesn't want to.

Maybe he has low testosterone levels, worth seeing a GP about, or he just doesn't like sex.
Original post by Anonymous
He's going to be tested for testosterone but he's also supposed to be on anti anxiety meds, could it make that much difference?

Yes, it absolutely could. I'm on SSRIs for bipolar and anxiety and I've been fine but a really common side effect is loss of sex drive. If that's the problem, get him to speak to his GP, they can switch you to another one until you find one that works.

Or alternatively, if his med really suits him, get him to be really really really good at foreplay. Still contact, doesn't require him having sex, you still get pleasured.
Reply 46
Original post by sabian92
If you force him that's rape so be wary of how far you get him to go if he doesn't want to.

Maybe he has low testosterone levels, worth seeing a GP about, or he just doesn't like sex.

I would never force him! He knows its important to me though and he does it sometimes because of that.

He had his testosterone levels checked and they came back normal, but we were then told they were wrong and he has to go back again, so it's just making things worse.
Reply 47
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Yes, it absolutely could. I'm on SSRIs for bipolar and anxiety and I've been fine but a really common side effect is loss of sex drive. If that's the problem, get him to speak to his GP, they can switch you to another one until you find one that works.

Or alternatively, if his med really suits him, get him to be really really really good at foreplay. Still contact, doesn't require him having sex, you still get pleasured.

I'll keep that in mind but if something was working I wouldn't want him to change and risk problems to help his sex drive.

He doesn't like foreplay either though :/
Reply 48
I would never force him! He knows its important to me though and he does it sometimes because of that.

He had his testosterone levels checked and they came back normal, but we were then told they were wrong and he has to go back again, so it's just making things worse.

I'm not suggesting you do but if you turned this situation round and you didn't want sex, and he was trying to get you to put out.... You can see where I'm going.

Does he suffer with depression? I do and it's been a killer in the bedroom.
I've tried to break up with him several times but I don't want to, at the same time and to put it simply, I want sex. We've been together over a year and have had sex but I'm a lot more keen to do it than him and it's always a struggle.

When we do anything now I feel guilty because I feel like I've made him do it. Either way I end up deeply upset because of it all. We've discussed it over and over again and he says he'll try but nothing's changed, and when I try to initiate things I can't tell if he's deliberately avoiding it or not getting it.

I'm really struggling to leave him but all I can think is I wouldn't have this trouble with someone else and I'm just carrying along with a relationship that isn't going to work.

Any advice on what to do?

I'm in this situation too OP, it hurts... We've been together nearly 4 years and it's steadily getting worse. It started off as once a week and now I'm lucky if I get it once a month...

I've decided to stick by him because I love him, but I can't pretend it's easy. I have a vibrator but it just doesn't do it for me - I'd rather have a real man than a cold bit of plastic. I also find that I don't want to use it, just in case he does want sex that day - what then? I'd feel awful if I rejected him then.

I already have problems with food as it is, but as I've put on a tiny amount of weight in those 4 years (gone from 8st to 8st6) I can't help worrying he isn't attracted o me anymore... He reassures me he is, but then he would say that wouldn't he?

Anyway this isn't about me. Just letting you know you aren't alone OP. I think you need to decide whether your love for him is enough to keep the relationship alive, and that's a decision only you can make. :hugs:
Reply 50
I've tried to break up with him several times but I don't want to, at the same time and to put it simply, I want sex. We've been together over a year and have had sex but I'm a lot more keen to do it than him and it's always a struggle.

When we do anything now I feel guilty because I feel like I've made him do it. Either way I end up deeply upset because of it all. We've discussed it over and over again and he says he'll try but nothing's changed, and when I try to initiate things I can't tell if he's deliberately avoiding it or not getting it.

I'm really struggling to leave him but all I can think is I wouldn't have this trouble with someone else and I'm just carrying along with a relationship that isn't going to work.

Original post by snowyowl
I'm in this situation too OP, it hurts... We've been together nearly 4 years and it's steadily getting worse. It started off as once a week and now I'm lucky if I get it once a month...

I've decided to stick by him because I love him, but I can't pretend it's easy. I have a vibrator but it just doesn't do it for me - I'd rather have a real man than a cold bit of plastic. I also find that I don't want to use it, just in case he does want sex that day - what then? I'd feel awful if I rejected him then.

I already have problems with food as it is, but as I've put on a tiny amount of weight in those 4 years (gone from 8st to 8st6) I can't help worrying he isn't attracted o me anymore... He reassures me he is, but then he would say that wouldn't he?

Anyway this isn't about me. Just letting you know you aren't alone OP. I think you need to decide whether your love for him is enough to keep the relationship alive, and that's a decision only you can make. :hugs:

I'm also in this situation. I love my partner deeply, but he just has a very low sex drive. We have been together for 4 and a half years and have a great relationship in every other aspect, but sex has been an issue since very near the start. Some men just have a very low sex drive. He has had medical issues; phimosis (tight foreskin) was a huge problem, which he got fixed a couple of years ago and had hoped that when sex stopped being painful for him he would want it more, but we still very rarely do anything.

However for me, the sex was in no way a deal breaker. He is a lovely, kind, gentle man and I love him so very much - he is my rock and most of the time helps me through my depression. In return I am there for him when he needs it. He is my best friend and I his. For me, this is so much more important and even though my sex drive is higher, I feel that it is something that I personally can compromise on. Especially as we have got older together and my sex drive has decreased slightly too due to medication.

OP, I don't know your exact situation and it won't be the same as mine. Do you feel that the emotional relationship is strong enough to withstand the difference in your sex drives?
You would be stupid to end the relationship with a good person over sex. Why don't you focus on being together and enjoying your relationship without sex? If you really love him then the absence of sex should not be an issue. Guys are always told to never pressure girls into sex, wait till shes ready, don't make her do what she doesn't want etc. Just because you are female doesn't mean you are different. You aren't with him for sex so you should be able to wait for when hes ready, pleasure yourself if necessary. Unless he has completely abstained from sex you should be able to wait for when he wants to do it. You don't sound like someone who is ready for a serious relationship, if I was your boyfriend I'd be worried that you have the potential to cheat. You should count yourself lucky for being with a guy who values other aspects of your relationship above sex, because that is really hard to find in men these days.
Original post by jennaz77
You would be stupid to end the relationship with a good person over sex. Why don't you focus on being together and enjoying your relationship without sex? If you really love him then the absence of sex should not be an issue. Guys are always told to never pressure girls into sex, wait till shes ready, don't make her do what she doesn't want etc. Just because you are female doesn't mean you are different. You aren't with him for sex so you should be able to wait for when hes ready, pleasure yourself if necessary. Unless he has completely abstained from sex you should be able to wait for when he wants to do it. You don't sound like someone who is ready for a serious relationship, if I was your boyfriend I'd be worried that you have the potential to cheat. You should count yourself lucky for being with a guy who values other aspects of your relationship above sex, because that is really hard to find in men these days.

This is so unfair. A lot of people need a healthy sex life to be really happy. It isn't about having sex so you can boast to your mates and feel like a stud, it's a very normal human instinct. Sexual frustration is a horrible feeling.

You say she isn't ready for a relationship, but I think it's normally immature teenagers who say sex sprint matter, most grown ups understand the impotence of a good sex life.

you need to find out why, if he is insecure and you dont know that but you break up with him then, you couldve made it work but didnt know how to. If you really like him, try to find out why, if you find out but cant do anything about it, you need to decide which you'd prefer, him or sex with another (maybe less trustworthy/nice) guy.
Reply 54
Original post by sabian92
I'm not suggesting you do but if you turned this situation round and you didn't want sex, and he was trying to get you to put out.... You can see where I'm going.

Does he suffer with depression? I do and it's been a killer in the bedroom.

He's not got great mental health that I can tell, but isn't on anything.

I understand but it's not getting someone to put out, it's trying to have a healthy sexual relationship.
Reply 55
I'm in this situation too OP...

Thank you, so good to know I'm not the only one going through this!
Reply 56
I'm in this situation too OP...

Thank you, so good to know I'm not the only one going through this!
Reply 57
maybe he has problems being turned on.... have a deep discussion with him about this
Reply 58
Original post by HmMusic
I'm also in this situation...

I don't know, I think part of the problem is this is my first relationship so I don't know if I'm missing out on anything, or if I'd love someone the same as I do him or we've got something special going on.

It's not the only issue we have either, although he is trying to be better.
Reply 59
Original post by HmMusic
I'm also in this situation...

Also, I have depression so I get very down about the whole situation and I'm worried its doing me no good carrying on with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending