The Student Room Group

Choosing between guys

Hi

Recently I've been liking two different guys which wasn't too much of a problem as I was convinced that nothing would ever happen as one doesn't live too near me and I only see him every couple of months and the other seemed to like another girl and was going through a rough patch so I assumed he wouldn't be looking for a relationship.

But within the last week and a bit, both have admitted they liked me either directly to me or to my best friend, who didn't know the situation as I'm quite a private person and was just going on how she'd seen me acting around this guy and apparently from something I'd inferred in a conversation (this is the one who lives close to us). This meant that she egged this guy on a lot before she talked to me about everything so he doesn't know the full situation either. She thinks he's going to make a move very soon but I still can't decide between the two.

So my question is, is it fair to decide between them when I know I'm still going to have strong feelings for the other, bearing in mind I'm really struggling to do this as I'm so comfortable with both of them and they both make me happier than I've been in a long time or is it best for me to just tell them both that I can't be with either of them as it's not fair on any of us?

Thanks
Reply 1
I think you will find it the worst to not date either of them. I also don't think that if you spend more time with both of them you will work out which one you like more - it will only make it harder to choose ! You should think/list what you like about each person and then work out who suits you better. You probably have a different idea of relationship for each so which do you want more?

I am sorry if this was completely unhelpful or comes across unclear !
Reply 2
Thanks for your help, it's just hard making a decision because they're both so well suited to me in different ways. Obviously it would be easier to date the guy who lives close to me as I actually get to see him on a day to day basis but I've liked the other one for much longer and it'll probably be harder to get rid of my feelings for him
Reply 3
I've liked the other one for much longer and it'll probably be harder to get rid of my feelings for him

Surely this is your answer !
In the same boat with 2 women, choosing is awful, and impossible.
Reply 5
You have a point, and I have been thinking that way over the last week it'd just be hard as I see the other guy so much more and I've never tried long distance before

It's so stressful isn't it? :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

Recently I've been liking two different guys which wasn't too much of a problem as I was convinced that nothing would ever happen as one doesn't live too near me and I only see him every couple of months and the other seemed to like another girl and was going through a rough patch so I assumed he wouldn't be looking for a relationship.

But within the last week and a bit, both have admitted they liked me either directly to me or to my best friend, who didn't know the situation as I'm quite a private person and was just going on how she'd seen me acting around this guy and apparently from something I'd inferred in a conversation (this is the one who lives close to us). This meant that she egged this guy on a lot before she talked to me about everything so he doesn't know the full situation either. She thinks he's going to make a move very soon but I still can't decide between the two.

So my question is, is it fair to decide between them when I know I'm still going to have strong feelings for the other, bearing in mind I'm really struggling to do this as I'm so comfortable with both of them and they both make me happier than I've been in a long time or is it best for me to just tell them both that I can't be with either of them as it's not fair on any of us?

Thanks

Having 2 people vying for your affections must be really empowering. Why don't you sit on both their faces and let them have a rim-off?
I think you were right with the conclusion in your first post that you shouldn't date either - as you said, you'd still have strong feelings for the other. And anyway, I think when you find a guy that's right for you, it won't be so much of a 'choice' - he'll seem the only/best person to be with.
If you spend more time with both, you may find yourself feeling that way about one of them, and that would be the time to pursue it.
Original post by Polkadot2
I think you will find it the worst to not date either of them. I also don't think that if you spend more time with both of them you will work out which one you like more - it will only make it harder to choose ! You should think/list what you like about each person and then work out who suits you better. You probably have a different idea of relationship for each so which do you want more?

I am sorry if this was completely unhelpful or comes across unclear !

I disagree with the spending more time making it harder to choose - I mean, isn't that how relationships work? You spend time with someone and your feelings for them get stronger, you maybe fall in love and have a long-term relationship. You don't necesserily get this with everyone you 'like' - sometimes the romantic feelings wane and the relationship never gets to long term.
Same principle should apply, except she's not dating them, but still getting to know them better.
Reply 9
Original post by joker12345
I disagree with the spending more time making it harder to choose - I mean, isn't that how relationships work? You spend time with someone and your feelings for them get stronger, you maybe fall in love and have a long-term relationship. You don't necesserily get this with everyone you 'like' - sometimes the romantic feelings wane and the relationship never gets to long term.
Same principle should apply, except she's not dating them, but still getting to know them better.

I agree completely. There is no rush here. The best relationships grow from friendship. Just see how it goes and you will know it in your heart which , if any, is for you.
Reply 10
Original post by joker12345
I think you were right with the conclusion in your first post that you shouldn't date either - as you said, you'd still have strong feelings for the other. And anyway, I think when you find a guy that's right for you, it won't be so much of a 'choice' - he'll seem the only/best person to be with.
If you spend more time with both, you may find yourself feeling that way about one of them, and that would be the time to pursue it.

Thanks for the advice, after a lot of thinking I'm leaning towards agreeing with you on not dating either of them unless it becomes more obvious :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by smorga30
I agree completely. There is no rush here. The best relationships grow from friendship. Just see how it goes and you will know it in your heart which , if any, is for you.

Thanks a lot, after much thought I agree with you both too :smile:
Reply 12
I would say, don't date either as you could regret it either way, and you obviously aren't really into one of them, else there wouldn't be another one to choose between :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending