The Student Room Group

A-Level Choice Advice

So far I'm thinking of History, English, Spanish and Geography. I know that none of them are scientific but its not that I feel I'd be unable to do a science or maths, just that I don't enjoy them so much. At the minute I'm hoping to study history at uni so I didn't think I'd really need any scientific ones.

Do you think those 4 would work well with each other in getting into a (top) uni for history? Any course recommendations? Any thoughts or experiences on the 4 I'm thinking of?

Thanks
Reply 1
Yes, they are all respected so should be fine for applying to top universities. English Literature rather than language will be more useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarah09_
Yes, they are all respected so should be fine for applying to top universities. English Literature rather than language will be more useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do density should I stay at my current school and do english laguage a long with the three science or go to a grammar and do english lit and Lang combined ??
Reply 3
If you want to get into a top uni, then History and English Literature will be most useful to you. Geography is partially science based, and a foreign language is a good choice to round out.
English Language doesn't compare to Literature in the eyes of the Russell Group, so you'd be better off going to a grammar school and doing the two combined.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies. Yes, by English I did mean English Lit not Lang, sorry. Those 4 (English Lit, History, Geography and Spanish) should be a good selection, then?
Reply 5
They are a very nice combination. You are closing almost all maths / nat/med science / economics / engineering options, but if you are sure about that, fair enough.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I definitely do not see myself wanting to study medicine/engineering or anything scientific, so I'm alright with that. I had thought of swapping geography for biology as I do enjoy it, but have heard that its particularly hard and I doubt I'll ever need it (don't want to make it harder than need be).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Thiscantbeblank
I want to do density should I stay at my current school and do english laguage a long with the three science or go to a grammar and do english lit and Lang combined ??

I don't know, sorry. Lit is usually valued more than Lang but I don't know how compares to Lit and Lang combined. Might have to make your own thread or see who comes along.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
If you want to get into a top uni, then History and English Literature will be most useful to you. Geography is partially science based, and a foreign language is a good choice to round out.
English Language doesn't compare to Literature in the eyes of the Russell Group, so you'd be better off going to a grammar school and doing the two combined.

I can't do geography or history or a foreign language as I didn't take them for GCSE I regret this very much :/ but yeh I will definitely think about going to the grammar though especially as my course is so competitive !! Thanks for the advice :smile:
Geography is classed as a science quite a lot of the time.
It's a good subject I'd recommend it.
I chose it because It was interesting, not because I was good at it. I think I got a B or C at gcse

Posted from TSR iPad. Don't judge me by my red gems

Quick Reply

Latest