The Student Room Group

How come people can lift weights but not their wn body weight?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sylosis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaiYRCEwAXQ

30 pull ups after 600lb deadlift x 9 (can see how that would be taxing perhaps cut him short of 10 reps).
Thank you and goodday sir.

He's a professional weightlifter?
Reply 41
Original post by bertstare
Well this isn't really specific steroid discussion, just whether he was found to be not natural and the stimulant was used to cover it up

I know but previous forums I've been on have been very harsh with this. I've been negged enough, can't afford another ban.
Original post by Darth Stewie
Strength to weight ratio is worked out by determining the maximum amount of weight you can lift at one time (squats for lower body, bench press for upper body), you then divide this by your body weight which gives you your upper and lower ratio at which point you use the average of the two. That's only a rough estimation to get an accurate result you have to use a body composition pod.

How does the pod tell you how strong you are?
Reply 43
He's a professional weightlifter?

He's a powerlifter. What do you mean by weightlifter?
It comes down to strength to body weight ratio, Boxers for instance tend to excel at pull ups as they have a very high strength to body weight ratio (as they need speed, reflexes, endurance and functional strength) where as weight lifters have a very low strength to body weight ratio due to the focus being on size and non-functional strength.

I guess that makes sense. Would you say then if someone wanted to be a faster sprinter they should do squats/weights with high reps (say 15) and less weight as opposed to high weight and low rep? Since they would need low body weight/functional strength for speed so wouldnt want to bulk at all. Just wondering for myself lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 45
Compared to:

No, i'm guessing you lift weights? Assuming you don't do any training for other sports how much time do you honestly spend running agility drills? Not trying to insult you or anything like that, lifting requires many things agility isn't one of them.

Why are you comparing it to gymnastics? I said weightlifters require good flexibility and agility, and they do. Showing other athletes who are more flexible or agile doesn't refute that point.

That's strength not speed, well i suppose it could be considered speed in the sense of applying all their force quickly however that has much more to do with standing, breathing and practicing properly.

Yes, you have to be strong to move that much weight. But you also need to be fast to get it over your head that quickly. When we're talking about how fast they can move something of course speed is relevant.

Strength to weight ratio is worked out by determining the maximum amount of weight you can lift at one time (squats for lower body, bench press for upper body), you then divide this by your body weight which gives you your upper and lower ratio at which point you use the average of the two. That's only a rough estimation to get an accurate result you have to use a body composition pod.

So you think strength athletes, who train the squat and other lifts, have a lower strength to body weight ratio than footballers :confused:

:lolwut: What's a body compostion pod? And how would it better tell you how much you can squat versus actually squatting?

Because the whole concept of strength to weight ratio is based around excess weight being a problem, for strength athletes it isn't.

Of course it is. Strength athletes compete in weight classes, if they weigh too much they won't end up in the right class. The only time when it wouldn't be a problem is for male lifters in the 105kg + class and female lifters in the 75kg+ for oly lifters and the equivalent for powerlifting/strongman.
Reply 46
Original post by inthedark1
I guess that makes sense. Would you say then if someone wanted to be a faster sprinter they should do squats/weights with high reps (say 15) and less weight as opposed to high weight and low rep? Since they would need low body weight/functional strength for speed so wouldnt want to bulk at all. Just wondering for myself lol

No
Original post by The Troll Toll
How does the pod tell you how strong you are?

They measure/weight you then attach loads of little wires to you then make you lift as much as you can on a bench press, squat and a leg machine (don't know the technical term sorry, you sit down and push back), then they make you run on a treadmill for a while then you have to hold out your arms with 2kg weights. Then they make you get in the pod while wearing a surprisingly snug spandex type number.
Reply 48
Original post by ZRO
I believe Chris Jones is natty srs no homo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

CJ has god sent genetics or he's on cell tech.. guess we'll never know.
Reply 49
They measure/weight you then attach loads of little wires to you then make you lift as much as you can on a bench press, squat and a leg machine (don't know the technical term sorry, you sit down and push back), then they make you run on a treadmill for a while then you have to hold out your arms with 2kg weights. Then they make you get in the pod while wearing a surprisingly snug spandex type number.

How would squatting/bench pressing with loads of little wires be better than doing so without? No serious strength athlete cares about leg pressing. Why would anyone use running on a treadmill for a measure of strength? How would sitting in a pod wearing spandex measure your strength/strength to weight ratio?
Original post by inthedark1

Short distance sprinters tend to have quite a lot of muscle and if you want to improve speed you probably want to look at squat workouts that build muscle rather than high rep ones. Having more Muscles doesn't equal slow providing you know how to use them so to speak. If you aren't looking to bulk up though i probably would recommend picking another running discipline rather than sprinting as they tend to be quite built for explosive speed off the line.
Original post by rlw31
How would squatting/bench pressing with loads of little wires be better than doing so without? No serious strength athlete cares about leg pressing. Why would anyone use running on a treadmill for a measure of strength? How would sitting in a pod wearing spandex measure your strength/strength to weight ratio?

Doesn't just give you the strength to weight ratio, gives all kinds of medical information like your thoracic gas levels, energy expenditure, how fat you are, CO2 intake ect.
Reply 52
Doesn't just give you the strength to weight ratio, gives all kinds of medical information like your thoracic gas levels, energy expenditure, how fat you are, CO2 intake ect.

But why would squatting with wires attached to you better tell your strength/bodyweight ratio in the squat than just squatting???
Original post by rlw31
But why would squatting with wires attached to you better tell your strength/bodyweight ratio in the squat than just squatting???

I'm not a doctor but i assume it's because they get a much better reading of your muscle activity all the while monitoring your other vitals which they then use in a very complicated calculation which results in a very accurate ratio.
Reply 54
I'm not a doctor but i assume it's because they get a much better reading of your muscle activity all the while monitoring your other vitals which they then use in a very complicated calculation which results in a very accurate ratio.

But your strength to body weight ratio is just that, what you can lift versus your weight. It's website says it's used for body composition.

That feel when men in white coats use science to trick you into living out their homoerotic fantasies
Short distance sprinters tend to have quite a lot of muscle and if you want to improve speed you probably want to look at squat workouts that build muscle rather than high rep ones. Having more Muscles doesn't equal slow providing you know how to use them so to speak. If you aren't looking to bulk up though i probably would recommend picking another running discipline rather than sprinting as they tend to be quite built for explosive speed off the line.

I have a lot of muscle on my upper thighs/leg but also a bit of fat there too. I want to lose the fat but I know building muscle means putting fat on too (according to bodybuilders) so I dont really want to do high reps. I have powerful quads (according to a physio) but lack speed. I found this, quite old but looks at squats/speed and strength in depth http://faculty.fullerton.edu/leebrown/PDF%20Files/Academic/McBride-heavy%20vs%20light%20load%20training.pdf

Id like to find some similar more recent studies but after a quick google none really showed up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by civilstudent
How come you get strong lads/men lifting big weights but they cant lift there own body weight ie cant do pull ups? Im female and can do pull ups so can lift my own body weight yet I don't think I could lift heavy weights/barbells.

Yes! Calisthenics is where its at. Bodyweight training and gymnastic strength training has a vast carryover to lifting external weight.

However, weight training has little to none to calisthenics.

I used to lift weights but moved to calisthenics about a year ago and have watched my athleticism, endurance and strength sky rocket.

Women doing pullups = Hot AND strong.
Reply 59

I am by no means strong and could probably hold out 2kg dumbbells until I was pretty bored.

Quick Reply

Latest