The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2013 - Appeals FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Apologetic Cube

I got an A in the main Biology prelim but I missed the Unit 3 prelim due to illness. Would I be eligible for an appeal?

Eligibility is based on what you were predicted. If you were predicted an A then you're eligible but that does not mean you'll be successful, especially if you have no evidence from unit 3.
Hi i just got my SQA results through my door and to my surprise i got an F or " No Award " in INT2 maths, however in my prelim i got a B, im not sure what percentage. In other users opinion do i have an appeal case?
Reply 22
Original post by Connor Gallgher
Hi i just got my SQA results through my door and to my surprise i got an F or " No Award " in INT2 maths, however in my prelim i got a B, im not sure what percentage. In other users opinion do i have an appeal case?

I've moved your post to the Appeals 2013 thread where you can read our FAQ in the first post. To answer your question, you certainly do have a chance of a successful appeal, but nobody here can tell you whether or not you'll get one. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 23
I just phoned the SQA (surprisingly they pick up really fast). I told them how my prelims grades are terrible but my nab grades and AB test grades were A level, they said that is fine.
I got a C for Advanced Higher History. I was predicted an A, and I'm pretty sure my prelim was a high B.

What are my chances if my school appeals for a B? I realise an A is probably not possible. It doesn't hinge on my uni place, it's just that I've never had a C, or a B in an exam before :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I'm really distort about my results. I got AABBC but to get into medical school I need AAAA- the B's are physics and graphic communication. In my prelims I got, for physics 77% and 75%, for graphics I got 75%- A's. Would I have a chance of appealing the B's to A's as my prelims were AAAAC?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EllieSaysHeya
I got a C for Advanced Higher History. I was predicted an A, and I'm pretty sure my prelim was a high B.

What are my chances if my school appeals for a B? I realise an A is probably not possible. It doesn't hinge on my uni place, it's just that I've never had a C, or a B in an exam before :/

Hey! Don't worry too much about your grades - they're still great, and if your uni place doesn't need it, then it's time to celebrate! You don't have to get A's all the time, and there eventually comes a time when we all get our first sub-top result. I got my first B in 6th year, too!
You still have plenty to be proud of. :smile:

Unfortunately, we can't tell you the exact chances you've got in gaining a successful appeal - it's simply a too multivariate decision for us to give an intellectually honest prediction. All you can do is get in contact with your school and see if they'd be willing to put in an appeal for you.

Original post by Markmcculloch
Hey, I'm really distort about my results. I got AABBC but to get into medical school I need AAAA- the B's are physics and graphic communication. In my prelims I got, for physics 77% and 75%, for graphics I got 75%- A's. Would I have a chance of appealing the B's to A's as my prelims were AAAAC?

Could you appeal the subject that you got a C in your exams in to try to get it up to a B? Or is that the one where you got a C in your prelim?

I'm afraid I have to give you the same as I said above. We can't predict how likely you are to gain a successful appeal. Only thing you can do is get in touch with your school ASAP, and ask if they'll submit appeals for you.

Don't worry about not making the grades. There are tons of routes into medical school, and 5th year grades aren't the be-all and end-all. Chin up, bud. You can still do this if that's what you really want. :smile:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Hey! Don't worry too much about your grades - they're still great, and if your uni place doesn't need it, then it's time to celebrate! You don't have to get A's all the time, and there eventually comes a time when we all get our first sub-top result. I got my first B in 6th year, too!
You still have plenty to be proud of. :smile:

Unfortunately, we can't tell you the exact chances you've got in gaining a successful appeal - it's simply a too multivariate decision for us to give an intellectually honest prediction. All you can do is get in contact with your school and see if they'd be willing to put in an appeal for you.

Could you appeal the subject that you got a C in your exams in to try to get it up to a B? Or is that the one where you got a C in your prelim?

I'm afraid I have to give you the same as I said above. We can't predict how likely you are to gain a successful appeal. Only thing you can do is get in touch with your school ASAP, and ask if they'll submit appeals for you.

Don't worry about not making the grades. There are tons of routes into medical school, and 5th year grades aren't the be-all and end-all. Chin up, bud. You can still do this if that's what you really want. :smile:

No I can't appeal the subject I got a C in unfortunately, it's English and I've never been very good at English. I got a C in both- prelim and exam:smile:

Thanks a lot for the reply though, I just needed to know if I COULD appeal, not if I would get it:smile: First Prelim- AAAAC, 2nd- AAA, Exam- AABBC :frown:( I'm 100% sure one of the B's was marked wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I can't appeal the subject I got a C in unfortunately, it's English and I've never been very good at English. I got a C in both- prelim and exam:smile:

Thanks a lot for the reply though, I just needed to know if I COULD appeal, not if I would get it:smile: First Prelim- AAAAC, 2nd- AAA, Exam- AABBC :frown:( I'm 100% sure one of the B's was marked wrong.

Ah, well, then if you were predicted an A in the subjects that you got a B in, then you're definitely eligible for an appeal! Talk to your school ASAP to get it sorted! :smile:

I'm afraid even if you are successful and appeal to AAAAC, then your options for medicine as a school leaver would be severely restricted, however, they do still exist - at Aberdeen or Dundee for example!
Reply 29
Is it just my school that is closed on result day because I thought they were meant to be open today.
Am I mistaken :/
Ah, well, then if you were predicted an A in the subjects that you got a B in, then you're definitely eligible for an appeal! Talk to your school ASAP to get it sorted! :smile:

I'm afraid even if you are successful and appeal to AAAAC, then your options for medicine as a school leaver would be severely restricted, however, they do still exist - at Aberdeen or Dundee for example!

The teachers have organise for us all to go into school tomorrow if we want to appeal. Is that quickly enough or should I phone the school now?

I know, I am wanting to apply to Aberdeen- It's lower grades than other schools as it's AAAA and I have the un-academic requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The teachers have organise for us all to go into school tomorrow if we want to appeal. Is that quickly enough or should I phone the school now?

I know, I am wanting to apply to Aberdeen- It's lower grades than other schools as it's AAAA and I have the un-academic requirements.

Waiting until tomorrow would be totally fine. I'm glad to see your school's so organised! :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by kurt123
Is it just my school that is closed on result day because I thought they were meant to be open today.
Am I mistaken :/

They don't have to be open.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tomorrow is fine. It's not an urgent appeal so you have a couple of weeks :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Ecosse_14

Tomorrow is fine. It's not an urgent appeal so you have a couple of weeks :smile:

Oh ok, thanks. I wanted to ask about appeals but my school opens on Monday.

That's great, thanks a lot!

Waiting until tomorrow would be totally fine. I'm glad to see your school's so organised! :biggrin:

Thank god they are haha! Thanks for the reply!

[SIZE="1"]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE
Reply 35
Original post by regalrose
I just phoned the SQA (surprisingly they pick up really fast). I told them how my prelims grades are terrible but my nab grades and AB test grades were A level, they said that is fine.

so would they use these sort for evidence? I achieved a C in first prelim for maths, A for second and C for exam, do you think that the A i got could help in any way whatsoever to bump me to a B? I was genuinely ill over prelims and exams and have hospitals send notes to cover me, but I dont think they take personal experiences into consideration because they have hearts of stone.
Reply 36
Original post by Aay
so would they use these sort for evidence? I achieved a C in first prelim for maths, A for second and C for exam, do you think that the A i got could help in any way whatsoever to bump me to a B? I was genuinely ill over prelims and exams and have hospitals send notes to cover me, but I dont think they take personal experiences into consideration because they have hearts of stone.

Unfortunately they don't take circumstances like that into consideration. What was included in your second prelim? If it was all units then you'd definitely be in for a shot, assuming you were predicted higher than a C.
Reply 37
Unfortunately they don't take circumstances like that into consideration. What was included in your second prelim? If it was all units then you'd definitely be in for a shot, assuming you were predicted higher than a C.

I (stupidly) was predicted an A lol, and I can't remember. Can they not use both prelims which cover the full course, which would give me an average of a B?
Reply 38
Original post by Aay
I (stupidly) was predicted an A lol, and I can't remember. Can they not use both prelims which cover the full course, which would give me an average of a B?

Hmm, well they can send the evidence away but I don't know how the SQA will look at it if you got a C in your first prelim. They usually want to see pretty solid evidence and I'm not sure that is. Anyway, we can only speculate.. nobody here knows the answer! :smile:
Reply 39
Is it possible to appeal from a C to an A? I was predicted an A in product design as I got 87% in the first prelim and 79% in the 2nd. There is a design folio worth 50% of the grade so I don't know what brought me down as I was predicted mid 50s out of 70 in that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending