The Student Room Group

2 Q's - 'Withdrawn' & Clearing

On my application, my first two choices were unsuccessful and my final one was 'withdrawn' - I don't understand what this means and why!

Secondly, on my track it says 'Add clearing choices' - I don't understand this as I thought I had to wait until August to know which Uni's even offered clearing.

Do I just add the Universities I applied to in the first place in the add 'clearing' choice section?
'Withdrawn' - this is probably because either the course isnt running this year or its already full. Phone the Uni and check.

Clearing is already available to those who are not holding any offers but already have known results. For everyone else it starts on Results Day. See http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/results/if-you-have-no-offers

So if this applies to you, you can start looking for other courses and start phoning Unis to see if they would accept you as a Clearing applicant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
'Withdrawn' - this is probably because either the course isnt running this year or its already full. Phone the Uni and check.

Clearing is already available to those who are not holding any offers but already have known results. For everyone else it starts on Results Day. See http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/results/if-you-have-no-offers

So if this applies to you, you can start looking for other courses and start phoning Unis to see if they would accept you as a Clearing applicant.

Thank you.

I'm a bit confused though.

I know my A-Level results, and I've got my results for my first year of Uni (I'm at Uni now but want to change course).

So I applied this year (but I only applied with my A-Levels, not first year of Uni because at the time I didn't know my grade).

Does that mean I can apply to clearing now with the grades I've got?
If you are applying for entry to the 1st year of a course, yes you can go through Clearing now as a place wouldnit be dependent on your other Uni results.
Reply 4
If you are applying for entry to the 1st year of a course, yes you can go through Clearing now as a place wouldnit be dependent on your other Uni results.

Yeah I am, although the course I'm applying for (Midwifery) is ridiculously competitive so I know my chances are low but it's worth a go.

So do I simply ring up the Universities I applied to/ want to go to (some like Manchester I didn't apply to as I applied very late and it wouldn't let me) and ask them if Midwifery is open for clearing and if there are any places left?
Original post by ant&bee
Yeah I am, although the course I'm applying for (Midwifery) is ridiculously competitive so I know my chances are low but it's worth a go.

So do I simply ring up the Universities I applied to/ want to go to (some like Manchester I didn't apply to as I applied very late and it wouldn't let me) and ask them if Midwifery is open for clearing and if there are any places left?

Yes.

But I would suggest you phone the other Unis and find out why you were Rejected.

The most common reason on Nursing/Midwifery courses is 'lack of experience' - you need experience of working/volunteering in a health-care setting to show you understand the demands of the course and the career you are training for. If it was this reason, then its likely all other Unis (especially somewhere demanding like Manchester) will also reject you. This would mean it was a waste of time going through Clearing when you might be better off either applying for a different course, or getting the required practical experience and reapplying next year.
Reply 6
Yes.

But I would suggest you phone the other Unis and find out why you were Rejected.

The most common reason on Nursing/Midwifery courses is 'lack of experience' - you need experience of working/volunteering in a health-care setting to show you understand the demands of the course and the career you are training for. If it was this reason, then its likely all other Unis (especially somewhere demanding like Manchester) will also reject you. This would mean it was a waste of time going through Clearing when you might be better off either applying for a different course, or getting the required practical experience and reapplying next year.

I have a feeling it's because my grades simply aren't good enough, and no I don't have any experience, I kind of know why I haven't been accepted - I applied as a kind of risk, I thought I've got nothing to lose.

I'm hoping to get experience this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending