The Student Room Group

Shotokan karate and Muay Thai Benefits

I am looking to take two martial arts at University. The two martial arts are Shotokan Karate and Muay Thai. I was wondering if people with experience could tell me what the benfits of these two martial arts are.
Thank You :smile:
Reply 1
I don't know much (read: anything) about Shotokan except that as a form of karate it'll have katas. These are pre-practised displays of movements in that art.

Muay Thai will be more striking based and offensive and Shotokan will be more balanced, possibly leaning more to defensive? Both will toughen the **** out of you, maybe MT will it a bit more. In terms of general fitness I doubt you'll go wrong with either.

Having only gone into one that's all I can say.
Reply 2
Oh I didn't even see OP wanted to do both.

Yeah BJJ is an excellent complement to MT.
Reply 3
I've experience in both martial arts, and if you're looking to become a better fighter quicker, than Muay thai is the way forward. Complemeting it with shotokan will help diversify ur fighting by allowing you to be able to fight at a longer distance, and give you more kicks in you arsenal, such as the sidekick, but i feel it isnt enough on it's own to make u a competent stand up fighter. And sorry, kata are a waste of time.

However they're both stand up striking arts, why not try some grappling, like BJJ? It'll teach you to fight on the ground, where its a whole different world.
Reply 4
Original post by Alkain1607
I am looking to take two martial arts at University. The two martial arts are Shotokan Karate and Muay Thai. I was wondering if people with experience could tell me what the benfits of these two martial arts are.

When you say benefits do you mean health benefits or how it will improve your fighting?
I will say thought that Muay Thai is immense fun. It's my favourite out of any sport I've ever done. Hopefully you'll love it too.:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by tooosh
Oh I didn't even see OP wanted to do both.

Yeah BJJ is an excellent complement to MT.

What do you know about BJJ? Sorry to be nosy but I already do MT and was really interested in taking up BJJ if I can get a job to pay for it. How would it complement MT?:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by yepyepyep
What do you know about BJJ? Sorry to be nosy but I already do MT and was really interested in taking up BJJ if I can get a job to pay for it. How would it complement MT?:smile:

They don't overlap. MT is striking based and BJJ is groundwork. But I don't know much about BJJ other than what I've been told by friends who do MMA or both individually.
Reply 7
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
I've experience in both martial arts, and if you're looking to become a better fighter quicker, than Muay thai is the way forward. Complemeting it with shotokan will help diversify ur fighting by allowing you to be able to fight at a longer distance, and give you more kicks in you arsenal, such as the sidekick, but i feel it isnt enough on it's own to make u a competent stand up fighter. And sorry, kata are a waste of time.

However they're both stand up striking arts, why not try some grappling, like BJJ? It'll teach you to fight on the ground, where its a whole different world.

I remember Karate from two decades ago. I was most miffed at the concept of simply hardening your hands knuckles and wrists. I.e. pressups on your wrists.

I quit and took up Chow gar instead. Which is based on infighting and because I have very short stumpy legs.
Reply 8
Original post by tooosh
They don't overlap. MT is striking based and BJJ is groundwork. But I don't know much about BJJ other than what I've been told by friends who do MMA or both individually.

Hm yeah I was aware there is a lot of grappling involved in BJJ. I've never done a martial art involving groundwork before, making me a bit apprehensive. I guess I'll only find out more by trying it out.
Reply 9
Thank you to all the brilliant replies, I was wondering about the health benefits as well as self-defence wise :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by yepyepyep
Hm yeah I was aware there is a lot of grappling involved in BJJ. I've never done a martial art involving groundwork before, making me a bit apprehensive. I guess I'll only find out more by trying it out.

Yeah same. I'm planning on picking up MMA next year (as long as the days aren't ****e like they were this year - Friday and Sunday MT, Saturday MMA! When do I go out?!).
Original post by tooosh
Yeah same. I'm planning on picking up MMA next year (as long as the days aren't ****e like they were this year - Friday and Sunday MT, Saturday MMA! When do I go out?!).

Oh I know what you mean about bad days for sport.:frown: I've had a fair few hungover Sunday morning runs. Good luck if you do pick up MMA, sounds good.
Reply 12

Haha no way, I'm planning on doing those exact two with the addition of wu shu kung fu! I've been doing karate for the last few years and as well as being very good for fitness, it is extremely technique based and often incorporates a lot of traditional Japanese elements, like the discipline/respect and even fighting using a bo or sai. Pretty cool ^_^ I'd say Muay Thai is probably better for your general fighting style though, being a slightly more free martial art than karate. :smile:
Reply 13
Shotokan, as it is usually practised, is all but useless for self-defence.
Reply 14
Original post by tooosh
I don't know much (read: anything) about Shotokan except that as a form of karate it'll have katas. These are pre-practised displays of movements in that art.

Muay Thai will be more striking based and offensive and Shotokan will be more balanced, possibly leaning more to defensive? Both will toughen the **** out of you, maybe MT will it a bit more. In terms of general fitness I doubt you'll go wrong with either.

Having only gone into one that's all I can say.

Will Muay Thai help me gain muscle as well, if I'm looking to bulk up?
Reply 15
Will Muay Thai help me gain muscle as well, if I'm looking to bulk up?

Some. But diet is the bigger factor. Also unless you go at it hardcore, you won't get anywhere near as much as someone who lifts weights.

Why not do both?
Reply 16
Original post by tooosh
Some. But diet is the bigger factor. Also unless you go at it hardcore, you won't get anywhere near as much as someone who lifts weights.

Why not do both?

Thanks so much for your help, I'd rep you for it- but it seems I have already done so recently :smile:
Reply 17
Thanks so much for your help, I'd rep you for it- but it seems I have already done so recently :smile:

Don't worry about it :smile:
Reply 18
Don't know about Shotokan but I've done Muay Thai for a good few years along with MMA on the side, and MT is really awesome. Like others said, it'll toughen you up, drastically increase your fitness level if you keep a good diet and do it regularly, and all in all improve your body - I even found myself being more flexible after a while. When it comes to fighting, MT is as good as it gets, it's an art based on offence mainly rather than defence, but if you decide to spar then your dexterity will improve along with your ability to take a hit.

If you're interested in BJJ, it's a really good martial art to do alongside MT if you're interested in starting up MMA, basically as soon as you go to the ground where MT isn't applicable you can use BJJ, which is also pretty offense based. That said, I've only ever done BJJ when i've done MMA, I haven't actually gone to any individual BJJ lessons or anything.

Sorry I can't give you any info about the Shotokan, it might be worth making a thread on a martial art forum and seeing what they have to say about it?

Quick Reply

Latest