The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Diety
I'm quite well thank you :smile: hows yourself?

Could you explain what a Salvationist is?

Salvation Army.
Original post by tasha96
Playing at a gig tonight. :afraid: Anxiety playing up big style, prayers would be much appreciated!

Praying for you hun - am sure you'll do a great job :h:
Reply 2902
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Salvation Army.

Ah, not me I'm afraid...
Reply 2903
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Salvation Army.

My gran goes to the Sally Army every week for an OAPs lunch with friends. They care a lot for the local communities they are in.
“We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties.” Oswald Chambers :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Praying for you hun - am sure you'll do a great job :h:

Thanks lovely. :hugs: It went well! :biggrin:
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
“We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties.” Oswald Chambers :smile:

PRSOM. :sad:
Original post by tasha96
Thanks lovely. :hugs: It went well! :biggrin:

:ahee: :king1: :woo:
Just wanted to share something which will hopefully help someone else today.

I've a lot going on at the moment (like all of us) and lots of pressures, things to do and get through.

I went for a walk this morning to clear the old head. As I walked past the edge of a local park my eye caught sight of a mug, a drinking mug, lying in the brambles. It caught my eye and it had some words printed on it which really made me smile. I have found in the past that God has a good sense of humour.

The mug said, printed on it, the words 'TRUST' and 'PERSEVERE' hahahah, just the two words I needed for some direction I was seeking from God, I mean who has ever seen anything sensible printed on a mug?

He sure does work in mysterious ways.:tongue:
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
Just wanted to share something which will hopefully help someone else today.

I've a lot going on at the moment (like all of us) and lots of pressures, things to do and get through.

I went for a walk this morning to clear the old head. As I walked past the edge of a local park my eye caught sight of a mug, a drinking mug, lying in the brambles. It caught my eye and it had some words printed on it which really made me smile. I have found in the past that God has a good sense of humour.

The mug said, printed on it, the words 'TRUST' and 'PERSEVERE' hahahah, just the two words I needed for some direction I was seeking from God, I mean who has ever seen anything sensible printed on a mug?

He sure does work in mysterious ways.:tongue:

PRSOM. Love it! :biggrin:
I've been around here before, back when I had a different username/account (I didn't post more than a couple of times though, so probably not worth mentioning my old name) but I feel as though I need some kind of Christian community right now. Basically I haven't been to Church for 5 or 6 years because of my agoraphobia and anxiety making it difficult for me to go out especially when it involves sitting/standing anywhere for an extended amount of time. I've recently been thinking about going back because I feel as though my ability to cope in social situations is improving and I really miss Church, so I guess I just feel like talking to some Christians to kind of pluck up my courage to go, and also to talk about the kind of things that I don't really get a chance to talk about in every day life. My anxiety suffered a blip today, I felt particularly bad when I was out even though I was with someone (as I basically always am, at the moment) so I suppose that's what made me feel like posting something here today.

Anyway, I'm Natalie and that was my extended introduction. Hi.
Since Barack Obama met the Pope today, maybe we can pray for greater striving for understanding and acceptance of religious freedom, by politicians :yes:

We in Cath Soc continue to pray for expectant mothers, people affected by the Malaysian plane crash, A Level students, peace in the Crimean region, those discerning calls to ministry, those presently in ministry, and all other intentions previously stated :h:

We invite you to join your prayers with ours, in whatever way you see fit :smile:

Original post by mscaffrey
I've been around here before, back when I had a different username/account (I didn't post more than a couple of times though, so probably not worth mentioning my old name) but I feel as though I need some kind of Christian community right now. Basically I haven't been to Church for 5 or 6 years because of my agoraphobia and anxiety making it difficult for me to go out especially when it involves sitting/standing anywhere for an extended amount of time. I've recently been thinking about going back because I feel as though my ability to cope in social situations is improving and I really miss Church, so I guess I just feel like talking to some Christians to kind of pluck up my courage to go, and also to talk about the kind of things that I don't really get a chance to talk about in every day life. My anxiety suffered a blip today, I felt particularly bad when I was out even though I was with someone (as I basically always am, at the moment) so I suppose that's what made me feel like posting something here today.

Anyway, I'm Natalie and that was my extended introduction. Hi.

Hi Natalie! We welcome you back with big hugs and open arms! I'm so glad you felt you wanted to come back, and that you were able to.

I'm so sorry to hear of your anxiety and agoraphobia. I can empathise somewhat since I too have developed an aversion to churches and religious buildings, due to my psychosis. I tend to hear voices and quickly get quite ill if I go into a religious building and can't escape (due to having to stay for a whole service, for example, as opposed to popping in for 5 mins of Adoration of the Eucharist). It really hurts, not being able to go to church, doesn't it? I was never one to go every week but I hate feeling that I can't go at all :frown:

It sounds like you are fighting hard and are making some progress - so well done for that! Keep the faith and don't lose hope.

Do you mind me asking: have you seen a doctor about your anxiety and agoraphobia? I appreciate that's somewhat of a dumb question if you're too afraid to leave your house a lot of the time, but I just wonder what support you are receiving atm?

Either way, welcome back! :biggrin:
Since Barack Obama met the Pope today, maybe we can pray for greater striving for understanding and acceptance of religious freedom, by politicians :yes:

We in Cath Soc continue to pray for expectant mothers, people affected by the Malaysian plane crash, A Level students, peace in the Crimean region, those discerning calls to ministry, those presently in ministry, and all other intentions previously stated :h:

We invite you to join your prayers with ours, in whatever way you see fit :smile:

Hi Natalie! We welcome you back with big hugs and open arms! I'm so glad you felt you wanted to come back, and that you were able to.

I'm so sorry to hear of your anxiety and agoraphobia. I can empathise somewhat since I too have developed an aversion to churches and religious buildings, due to my psychosis. I tend to hear voices and quickly get quite ill if I go into a religious building and can't escape (due to having to stay for a whole service, for example, as opposed to popping in for 5 mins of Adoration of the Eucharist). It really hurts, not being able to go to church, doesn't it? I was never one to go every week but I hate feeling that I can't go at all :frown:

It sounds like you are fighting hard and are making some progress - so well done for that! Keep the faith and don't lose hope.

Do you mind me asking: have you seen a doctor about your anxiety and agoraphobia? I appreciate that's somewhat of a dumb question if you're too afraid to leave your house a lot of the time, but I just wonder what support you are receiving atm?

Either way, welcome back! :biggrin:

It is horrible not being able to go and enjoy a service. I really miss the feeling of being in a Church, which is something I really have never been able to get outside of a Church. And I miss the community and structure of it all too. I actually had thoughts about religious life/being ordained before all this struck, so I kind of feel as though my future has been put on hold at the moment. I'm sorry to hear you have problems going to services too :frown:

I do see my GP every so often. She's known me pretty much since the beginning of my agoraphobia, but all she's been able to offer me is referral to the mental health team for CBT (which I'm currently attempting with a new therapist after a bad experience with my first-she didn't think I was learning enough from the exposure I was doing, and got quite frustrated with me not making progress even though I'd only been seeing her for 4 weeks-she had very little time for listening to how much progress I'd made on my own while waiting for CBT). I sometimes feel as though my GP doesn't fully understand how much my anxiety is affecting me-she's always encouraged me to aim again for university, and she's even told me to try commuting every day but that's an impossibility for me right now. I do go out, but for the past 4 years I've only ever been out and on public transport when someone's been with me. I don't think that's the best place to be in when starting university. But it's difficult to explain to her how I'm feeling/coping because the appointment time is so short and I always seem to be calm when I'm in the room with her.
It is horrible not being able to go and enjoy a service. I really miss the feeling of being in a Church, which is something I really have never been able to get outside of a Church. And I miss the community and structure of it all too.

Yeah there's something about attending church regularly that is very comforting. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. But it's something that leaves a lasting impression, if one has a good priest and a good church community :yes:

I actually had thoughts about religious life/being ordained before all this struck, so I kind of feel as though my future has been put on hold at the moment. I'm sorry to hear you have problems going to services too :frown:

Oh gosh. That must be heartbreaking for you. I'm so sorry :frown: Don't give up on those dreams yet. It might just take you longer than you'd hoped. Or maybe it's God's way of telling you that He has a greater plan for you. I dunno. But don't cast your plans aside completely :hugs:

I do see my GP every so often. She's known me pretty much since the beginning of my agoraphobia, but all she's been able to offer me is referral to the mental health team for CBT (which I'm currently attempting with a new therapist after a bad experience with my first-she didn't think I was learning enough from the exposure I was doing, and got quite frustrated with me not making progress even though I'd only been seeing her for 4 weeks-she had very little time for listening to how much progress I'd made on my own while waiting for CBT). I sometimes feel as though my GP doesn't fully understand how much my anxiety is affecting me-she's always encouraged me to aim again for university, and she's even told me to try commuting every day but that's an impossibility for me right now. I do go out, but for the past 4 years I've only ever been out and on public transport when someone's been with me. I don't think that's the best place to be in when starting university. But it's difficult to explain to her how I'm feeling/coping because the appointment time is so short and I always seem to be calm when I'm in the room with her.

I'm glad you're having CBT, though I'm sorry to hear about the first therapist. Some therapists are really hit and miss. I've had awful counsellors and therapists in my time in the mental health and Uni Counselling Services :sadnod: But I've had some good experiences too! So stick with this new one and see how she goes. Don't be afraid to stick up for yourself :hugs:

It does sound like your GP doesn't quite understand. Have you ever tried bullet pointing what you really need to tell her and then handing it over to her? I did that with my psychiatrist and it finally got him to take me seriously :yep:

Also anytime you feel like a chat, do feel free to PM me, if that would help at all :h:
Just thanking God so much recently. He has done awesome things in my life, and I have faith that He will continue to do so.

Listen to this fantasticness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg5qDljEw7Q
Reply 2915
It is horrible not being able to go and enjoy a service. I really miss the feeling of being in a Church, which is something I really have never been able to get outside of a Church. And I miss the community and structure of it all too. I actually had thoughts about religious life/being ordained before all this struck, so I kind of feel as though my future has been put on hold at the moment. I'm sorry to hear you have problems going to services too :frown:

I empathise with you, However, the house of God is very important. I will like to share this with you and a host on others on this thread:
The psalmist said "I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the house of the lord", it is a place I personally cherish, and the altars in the church are comfort to me when I knee on them to speak to my maker.
when we consider the main reason why we have to go into church, it is to go and Worship God and we are blessed for it.
I don't know if you have heard the story of the woman with the bad back who could not walk properly for 18 yrs but met Jesus in the temple who healed her and changed her life forever. Going to church is ever important, one never know when his/her blessing will brought down.
Yeah there's something about attending church regularly that is very comforting. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. But it's something that leaves a lasting impression, if one has a good priest and a good church community :yes:

Oh gosh. That must be heartbreaking for you. I'm so sorry :frown: Don't give up on those dreams yet. It might just take you longer than you'd hoped. Or maybe it's God's way of telling you that He has a greater plan for you. I dunno. But don't cast your plans aside completely :hugs:

I'm glad you're having CBT, though I'm sorry to hear about the first therapist. Some therapists are really hit and miss. I've had awful counsellors and therapists in my time in the mental health and Uni Counselling Services :sadnod: But I've had some good experiences too! So stick with this new one and see how she goes. Don't be afraid to stick up for yourself :hugs:

It does sound like your GP doesn't quite understand. Have you ever tried bullet pointing what you really need to tell her and then handing it over to her? I did that with my psychiatrist and it finally got him to take me seriously :yep:

Also anytime you feel like a chat, do feel free to PM me, if that would help at all :h:

I'm hoping this new one will be one of the good experiences, I went to my first appointment and he was really good at explaining things in a more scientific way to me. I've grown really tired of the usual worksheets about anxiety and the anxious response and he did well in changing it to suit my type of thinking. I've never really bullet pointed when going in to discuss my anxiety, but I might try it. That worked well when I had to keep a migraine diary for her, she actually spent time reading through it. I don't know why I haven't done it before, actually.

And thank you, I might take you up on that :smile:
I'm hoping this new one will be one of the good experiences, I went to my first appointment and he was really good at explaining things in a more scientific way to me. I've grown really tired of the usual worksheets about anxiety and the anxious response and he did well in changing it to suit my type of thinking. I've never really bullet pointed when going in to discuss my anxiety, but I might try it. That worked well when I had to keep a migraine diary for her, she actually spent time reading through it. I don't know why I haven't done it before, actually.

And thank you, I might take you up on that :smile:

Glad the first appointment went well - that sounds promising indeed! :smile: And no worries whatsoever :h:
Original post by navarre
Just thanking God so much recently. He has done awesome things in my life, and I have faith that He will continue to do so.

Listen to this fantasticness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg5qDljEw7Q

Yes indeed, how GREAT is our God :smile::smile::smile:

People from all around the world worshipping Jesus, a taste of heaven.

Another couple of my favs at the moment:smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kmPZywtN4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtmA3ji8RkY

'Jesus love never fails, never gives up and never runs out on me...'
(edited 10 years ago)
Since gay marriage comes into legislation tomorrow, may we pray for all the gay community, for their wellbeing and that we may act as evidence of Jesus' love for them, through all our dealing with gay people in our communities

We in Cath Soc continue to pray all previous intentions and invite you to join in with our prayers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending