The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
I found my book... :awesome:

Milton Jones
Christianity is like a Cornish pastie. There's something in it, but sometimes it's difficult to find out what it is exactly.
Christianity is like knitting. Basically good, but appears to be responsible for a lot of bad things.

People like Jesus because he hung around with drunks and prostitutes. So how come when I do that...?

The word 'gospel' means good news. But today it's more a type of music. So when Jesus said we should go into all the world and preach the gospel he didn't mean we had to dress up as Aretha Franklin. I know that now.

Once I had a really good book about forgiveness. But I lent it to a friend and they lost it. They're not my friend any more.

and possibly my favourite:
Milton Jones
Christians sometimes shout 'Once I was dead but now I'm alive!' But then so do zombies.

:mmm:
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I got an offer of accommodation at UCL :biggrin:

but they sent me a blank document it seems. Woo.

oh rite, it's meant to be blank. Thanks UCL for making me look stupid. Good thing I didn't email them about it.

:teehee:

PRSOM :sad:
Original post by Feefifofum
I agree too, though we don't really know what these people are like, just their public personas... It's true that it involves a lot of sin though. I have a lot more respect for musicians like the Civil Wars, who live Christian lives and even included a worship song on their latest album :smile:

:yep:

That's one of the things I love about Mumford and Sons, if you listen to their songs they are littered with great Christian imagery and stuff and they seem to be leading Christian lives from what you can see. Plus their music is just awesome in general :yep:
Original post by Aula
I found my book... :awesome:

Ohmygoodnesshe'sjustsowonderful :ahee:

Seeing we're on the subject, Tim Vine talking about Comedy and Religion: http://www.4thought.tv/themes/is-anything-sacred-in-comedy/tim-vine
Reply 424
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Ohmygoodnesshe'sjustsowonderful :ahee:

Seeing we're on the subject, Tim Vine talking about Comedy and Religion: http://www.4thought.tv/themes/is-anything-sacred-in-comedy/tim-vine

:giggle:

Apparently Milton Jones has written a second book of 10 second sermons. I now need to try and find this...
Reply 425
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Really sorry to hear about this, especially that he didn't make it for your nan's 80th. Will be praying for the whole family. I'm glad at least though that this gave an opening to chat honestly to your mum about your faith :hugs:

Thanks TLG :hugs:

Ooh, very impressive <3 Sadly all I know comes from the song 'Baba Yetu'which is the Lord's Prayer in Swahili. Christopher Tin/The Swahili Gospel choir do a wonderful rendition of it:

[video="youtube;IJiHDmyhE1A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A[/video]

Wow, I love that :biggrin: I found this version the best
just because of the pictures :smile: amazing how it's just the Lord's Prayer! Although, everything sounds great in Swahili :h: I have a few videos on my Facebook of the kids singing Swahili songs in Church, assembly, and even Swahili ten green bottles around the camp-fire :biggrin:

Really sorry to hear it man :hugs: It's weird though as mum said something very similiar when Grandad died all those years back, there's something weirdly restful about a body once the person has passed away.

I've never experienced it myself but maybe it is a common experience people have then.

Ha, why thank you, it's a relief to hear. I think he's probably the only philospher or theologian that I could make my mastermind subject so it would be bad if I couldn't even detail his ideas on the individual and self :tongue:

I don't know If I know that much about any particular philosopher/theologian... Might take a stab at St Augustine... and if you count C.S. Lewis I would be all over that :biggrin:

Haha I guess we know different ones then, I seem to only know the extremes like the conservatives who think everyone else is evil and the liberals who think everyone else is stupid.

You know liberal Chrstians like that? Wow, I've only ever met one liberal Christian, My Philosophy teacher who is the nicest, most 'Christlike' man I have ever known!

It is certainly interesting although I find the lack of mysticism in the religion to be the main turn-off for me. Everything is awfully literal in it.

Hmmm, I never thought of Mormonism like that, but I suppose it is actually...

I guess inerrancy would have been a better term :smile: I used to believe it was more God working within the society established (it's a fairly held belief among those who believe in inerrancy) and making the fairest laws out of them but know the idea of Him comprising like that doesn't make much sense to me.

Hmmm, I don't really think God compromised in working in that way; the OT achieved what it was meant to by acting as a foundation and a backdrop for the drama of the gospels and the rest of Christian history. I actually quite like the fact that in the inspiration of scripture, we already begin to see the first glimmers of heaven; a union between man and God in inspiration revealing the end goal of union between man and God. It's as though the invitation is written with the first act of the union to which we are being invited :smile:
Would you prefer revelation having been direct and 'Qur'an-style' so to speak?

Man I wish I had a creative brain which allowed me to think in analogies like that, it's much easier to engage people with ideas that away but alas inane ramblings with oddly placed comas are more my style it seems :tongue:

That analogy about the ship wasn't even mine :tongue: analogies were forced on me in a way by studying philosophy where the method of writing every paragraph is: point > explain > illustrate (with an analogy) > evaluate. So you have to use A LOT of analogies :biggrin:

I guess you could say that something like Psalms is divinely inspired in the way that good art and poetry is but they're all going to be through the medium of the individual who created it which is the main diffrentiator, afterall art would be boring if it wasn't :h:

I quite agree with that :smile:

Any time, it's the summer holidays, I need things to do so it was a pleasure :^_^: Anything to take the mind of college results and all that.

Ah yes; tomorrow is the day of our impending doom! :eek:

Yeah, I think it was the 1860-ish when the idea (or atleast the term) of homosexuality came about as until then you were assumed straight and anything else was just you being perverse. And thanks for the articles! The more the merrier.

You are most welcome :smile:

Original post by Mazzini
:jumphug:

Hope you're okay. Glad to hear that you talked to your mum about your faith :hugs:

If you don't mind me asking, was your grandad Christian or not? :hugs:

I'm fine thanks Mazz :h: He was really a cultural Anglican who I think did believe in God, but only went to Church on special occasions like Christmas.

Original post by Alice_95
Will be praying for you :hugs:

Thanks Alice :hugs:
(edited 10 years ago)
Praying for all those receiving results tomorrow! :yep:
Original post by Diety
just because of the pictures :smile: amazing how it's just the Lord's Prayer! Although, everything sounds great in Swahili :h: I have a few videos on my Facebook of the kids singing Swahili songs in Church, assembly, and even Swahili ten green bottles around the camp-fire :biggrin:

The whole album is pretty wonderful, it's thing like poetry, chants and songs from around the world. And that also sounds like the cutest thing in the world x3

I don't know If I know that much about any particular philosopher/theologian... Might take a stab at St Augustine... and if you count C.S. Lewis I would be all over that :biggrin:

I once got a question right on University Challenge about Kant, proudest moment of my life and then I realised it was also pretty much the most basic question they could have asked on him. St Augustine is a massive blind spot for me, mostly because i'm an idiot and always confuse him for Aquinas. I think you could probably call Lewis a theologian though I would say he was a Christian Apologist first and foremost, what he says is more reactionary than anything ala Chesterton. If I could choose anyone I would like a really in-depth knowledge of Pascal and Derrida, mostly as they're pretty impenetrable to start with.

Hmmm, I never thought of Mormonism like that, but I suppose it is actually...

Well I guess when we are literally the sons and daughters of God and Jesus is the literal son as well, you lessen the mystery and awe of the Bible I find. I think there's interesting things in there but all I've talked to think the Bible is inerrant and I find John rather hard to understand if we take their view of the Godhead. Generally pretty darn nice people though.

Hmmm, I don't really think God compromised in working in that way; the OT achieved what it was meant to by acting as a foundation and a backdrop for the drama of the gospels and the rest of Christian history. I actually quite like the fact that in the inspiration of scripture, we already begin to see the first glimmers of heaven; a union between man and God in inspiration revealing the end goal of union between man and God. It's as though the invitation is written with the first act of the union to which we are being invited :smile:
Would you prefer revelation having been direct and 'Qur'an-style' so to speak?

Not really as we got that in the NT through Jesus and if the Bible was too obvious I probably wouldn't have got into it in the first place :tongue: It does indeed work as a backdrop as other wise his teachings would be the insane ramblings of a crazy person as they wouldn't have the tradition to draw off but when the laws are quite so sexist and demeaning towards certain individuals I find it hard to believe that God would be entirely okay with it. Hence why i'm somewhat inclined to believe he set out the Ten Commandments but the others in places such as Leviticus are mostly man-made, although I still need to completely think out my position.

That analogy about the ship wasn't even mine :tongue: analogies were forced on me in a way by studying philosophy where the method of writing every paragraph is: point > explain > illustrate (with an analogy) > evaluate. So you have to use A LOT of analogies :biggrin:

Oh don't worry, I knew it wasn't yours :smile: Philosophy and literature are much better taught through analogies but I fear all mind will use analogies which are so niche I would have to write analogies for my analogies xD

All the best to everyone :yep: I actually had a nightmare about mine last night where the college couldn't find my results so that was.... not foreboding in anyway :erm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Just to echo what TLG said- good luck for tomorrow people! :grouphugs: Am praying.:yep:
Reply 429
Original post by Diety
I'm fine thanks Mazz :h: He was really a cultural Anglican who I think did believe in God, but only went to Church on special occasions like Christmas.

Ah okay. Glad to hear you're okay :hugs:

Thanks lovely. So nervous :eek3:

Original post by tasha96
Just to echo what TLG said- good luck for tomorrow people! :grouphugs: Am praying.:yep:

Thanks m'dear :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm neverous yet I'm 90% confident of my grades, it's slightly pathetic.

Original post by Mazzini

Thanks lovely. So nervous :eek3:

What course are you hoping to get into mate? :3
So, the main points from the last couple of days are as follows:

Tim Vine is Christian
Milton Jones is Christian

Didn't know about that!

I am in Bristol again. At last, I have got easy access to an Orthodox church!

Wishing you all a happy Feast of the Dormition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd really appreciate prayers at the moment. Having really bad money problems, can't move home/get any help from my family, and just have no ****ing clue what to do, basically.
Reply 433
Original post by AtomicTheory
I'd really appreciate prayers at the moment. Having really bad money problems, can't move home/get any help from my family, and just have no ****ing clue what to do, basically.

Will be praying for you :smile:
So I don't get that interview with Cullum afterall - turned out the slot scheduled for was Hylands park and my pass is for weston park :hmpf:

Really sorry to hear that. Will be praying :sadnod:

:hugs:

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
So I don't get that interview with Cullum afterall - turned out the slot scheduled for was Hylands park and my pass is for weston park :hmpf:

:console:
Reply 436
For all result-ees...
May you have received grades which will help you persue the end that will make you happy. Even if that means you have to stress in the short term to arrive at the course or institution you desire, things have a way of working out.

For those who used his intercession - font forget to thank St Joseph of Cupertino and make him known. A happy feast of the Assumption to you all.

Congratulations on finishing your A-Levels, it's quite an achievement just to survive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got this :biggrin: "Congratulations. This letter confirms your place and any agreed changes at The University of Manchester for the Mental Health Nursing yadda yadda ya".

And now to be incredibly stressed out for the next few years :yep: May go and see the Alan Partridge film to celebrate, help stop the fact my hands are still shaking.

Sorry to hear it, be praying mate :hugs:
Just got this :biggrin: "Congratulations. This letter confirms your place and any agreed changes at The University of Manchester for the Mental Health Nursing yadda yadda ya".

And now to be incredibly stressed out for the next few years :yep: May go and see the Alan Partridge film to celebrate, help stop the fact my hands are still shaking

Nice work - well done! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Nice work - well done! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thank ye, I could barely open the bleedin' letter my hands were shakin' so much, although it was cold so i'll make that my excuse :tongue: Best mate got into a Uni which is only a train ride away so we'll be able to go out together in the weekend still instead of seeing each other only once a year, so it's a blessed day all around =)

Hope everyone else's results day went well and to all those celebrating have a happy feast of Assumption and Dormition :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending