The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by legalreality

I still don't think they understand why I ran away and never returned :rolleyes:

I'm having sort of a same issue with my CU. Lovely people there, really, they're amazing, and we actually got to vote our new committee, but... I just disagree with them far too much. I would like a fellowship society, not a mission team. :s-smilie:
I've noticed a kind of fear of Catholics by OICCU. Why do you think that is? Personally I always put it down to the fact that typically the Catholics at Oxford properly integrate in their colleges and don't tend to form clicks that don't mix with 'outsiders'...

My understanding is that Catholics are not considered to be "proper" Christians, whatever that means. Personally I think my OICCU housemates might have been a bit scared that I could out-Bible-quote them, coz they knew I'd been to a convent school :teehee:

Glad to hear :smile: 1 more year and I'm hopefully going to be away from them for the rest of my life. Well except for gaudys, but I'm not letting them ruin that :tongue:

GAUDIES! :woo: :crazy: :party:

Original post by SaySaam
I'm a little nervous about asking my Mum though, because I know she'll want to know why. I'm too scared to tell her about being Christian because she isn't religious at all and most of the time takes the mickey out of religious people for being stupid. Tbh, she only really got baptised so I could be christened, because the good schools around the area I was born in are mostly faith schools. I don't want to fall out with my Mum because she can't accept my faith, so it's just easier to keep it a secret from my family :frown:

Is there any other way of finding out other than asking family? Also, do you actually have to join churches officially? I thought you just went forever and ever and people knew you went. I feel like such a noob :colondollar:

Ah OK, don't worry about that then. You don't officially have to join, no! It's just you can't always do everything if you haven't officially joined. Like in the Catholic Church, if you were to go to one, you wouldn't be able to receive the bread and wine :nah:
Wow. Just wow. You definitely get respect for having OICCU housemates though- not sure I could cope with that!

Fortunately the ones I lived with weren't bat**** crazy ones. They just made their faith known, went to OICCU/college CU events and gave us all Bibles with personalised messages in during Mission Week. It was funny though - they'd talk to anyone about their faith but would clam up when I asked questions. Still good friends with this particular couple. They're coming to my birthday party :h:

Had I had bat**** crazy OICCU housemates, there would have been some massive explosion :p:

I take it your a fan then? :tongue:

I've never been to one but they do sound quite awesome. Woosta takes them very seriously and provides top quality food for them :teeth:
Original post by FinnLassie
I would like a fellowship society, not a mission team. :s-smilie:
Does your church offer that sort of group? :smile:
:ninja:
Original post by Quornslice

Well now, what do we have here? :tongue:

:lovehug:
Original post by tasha96
Well now, what do we have here? :tongue:

I figured I should probably pop up because I was last here in May :ninja:

I figured I should probably pop up because I was last here in May :ninja:

Yeah, it was probably several threads ago. :angry: :dontknow: :tongue:

You aren't going to know who anybody is any more... :eek4:

:loveduck:
Original post by tasha96
Yeah, it was probably several threads ago. :angry: :dontknow: :tongue:

You aren't going to know who anybody is any more... :eek4:

I'll have you know it was in Thread number III :P

I know who you are :ninja:

:loveduck: <----- That is so cool
I'll have you know it was in Thread number III :P

I know who you are :ninja:

:loveduck: <----- That is so cool

Well I'm glad you've worked me out. :tongue: My username isn't exactly a give away or anything. :ninja:

I know! :ahee: 'Tis my favourite. :yep:

Original post by tasha96
Well I'm glad you've worked me out. :tongue: My username isn't exactly a give away or anything. :ninja:

I know! :ahee: 'Tis my favourite. :yep:

I've known who you are since before I disappeared though :P :ninja:

'Tis a good emote :yep:

I've known who you are since before I disappeared though :P :ninja:

'Tis a good emote :yep:

Yeah, I know. :tongue: You'll be pretty stuck on ~80% of the other regular posters though. :smug:

I'm off now, I'll leave you in peace. :ninja:

Original post by tasha96
Yeah, I know. :tongue: You'll be pretty stuck on ~80% of the other regular posters though. :smug:

I'm off now, I'll leave you in peace. :ninja:

Yeah I know :giggle: Well that's what I get for not poking my head in here for a while.

Seeya later :smile:

Do you think you're going to stop going or just try and put up with it?

Oh, I quit going there last year already. I don't think some of my friends that I've exclusively told that I'm quitting get it, they've been asking me to help out with the CU Freshers' Week stuff and all.

Original post by fluteflute
Does your church offer that sort of group? :smile:

I don't attend church. Nothing has appealed to me. And the nearest Lutheran church is much too unreachable for me as well.
Original post by FinnLassie
I don't attend church. Nothing has appealed to me. And the nearest Lutheran church is much too unreachable for me as well.
Ah sorry, I'd forgotten that. I think it's already having church groups that means CU members are usually happy (and sometimes keen) for it not to be another similar group.
Reply 915

I bet you don't know who I am :ninja:
Original post by Mazzini
I bet you don't know who I am :ninja:

:ninja: :teehee:
Does CU mean Christian union ? Sorry for the question :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ADAOBI123
Does CU mean Christian union ? Sorry for the question :tongue:
Yep :smile:

Where do you think is the better place out of St Aldates and St Ebbe's for someone interested but not quite ready to join something like a small group/pastorate to find out a bit more without being put under any pressure is?

What do you mean by 'find out more'? :smile:
I guess go to a few services and generally build up my bible knowledge a bit by chatting to a few friendly people about some of the fairly basic (and fairly stupid!) questions I have. There is only so far I think I can get by reading things on my own and I think hearing a few different perspectives might help. But then again I really don't want to feel like I'm 'fresh meat' for conversion or anything like that so somewhere welcoming but also relaxed and respectful of newbies is probably best for me. I've previously tried my college CU thinking that it would be the best place but I was pretty disappointed and kind of put off by the whole experience :frown:
That sounds like a great thing to try and do :smile:

I think the two are pretty similar (although for obvious reasons I have much more experience of one). I think the best thing would be for you to randomly pick one to email - try [email protected] or James/Sharon (James is new this term). Explain what you're looking for (as you just did above) and I'm sure they'll be sensitive and willing to meet and chat.

The other thing you might be interested in is the Friday Lunchtime Talks - the aim is to talk about those basic (but important) questions. They're organised by the CU (with external speakers) so I'm sure you'll see posters in college next term, directing you towards St Aldate's at 1pm each Friday :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending