The Student Room Group

eBuyer phishing scam

Hi

I bought something from eBuyer last week, money's been processed, phoned them up today and it'll be arriving "as soon as possible"

but just checked my junkmail and i got an e-mail from them before i called them which goes as follows:

DearJohn ,

Customer security is paramount at Ebuyer.com. Therefore, in order to maintain a secure shopping experience for all our customers, all our orders are subject to security checks.

Before we process your order we require the following information:

A scanned colour copy of the full picture page of your passport OR picture card of your UK drivers licence along with your passport or drivers licence number.

A utility bill that is at least two months old.

Please note: Non GB passport holders will also need to inform us of the issuing country of their passport. Acceptable utility bills are gas, water, electric or council tax. We're sorry but we cannot accept telephone bills or bank statements.

Your order has been cancelled pending the information requested. Once we have received and verified your identification we will email confirmation and all further orders will be dispatched without delay. Please allow up to 48 working hours for your identification to be processed and verified. In accordance with the Data Protection Act your details will not be stored or shared with any third party companies and documents will be destroyed once the identification process is complete.

Please email your documents to [email protected]. Be sure to head your email as Security Check in the subject header and include your Order Number on each page. The above email address is for identification purposes only, unfortunately we cannot respond to general queries. If you have any questions about the identification process or general questions regarding your account, please contact our Customer Services Team on 0871 521 3300 or via the online Enote system.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. This process is designed to benefit our customers and with your cooperation and help we can assist in the fight to reduce online fraud.

Kind regards,

Ebuyer Customer Support

now surely if there was a problem, the person i was talking to would have raised it?

i dunno maybe im being paranoid, has anyone else bought something from eBuyer and got this e-mail?
It's not something I've heard of. What was the order? Is there any sort of tracking available for the delivery option you chose?

I would ring up the contact number on their website, not the one you were sent in that email, and ask for confirmation on whether or not this is necessary and for the status of your order.
Reply 2
Original post by TPJY
Hi

I bought something from eBuyer last week, money's been processed, phoned them up today and it'll be arriving "as soon as possible"

but just checked my junkmail and i got an e-mail from them before i called them which goes as follows:

DearJohn ,

Customer security is paramount at Ebuyer.com. Therefore, in order to maintain a secure shopping experience for all our customers, all our orders are subject to security checks.

Before we process your order we require the following information:

A scanned colour copy of the full picture page of your passport OR picture card of your UK drivers licence along with your passport or drivers licence number.

A utility bill that is at least two months old.

Please note: Non GB passport holders will also need to inform us of the issuing country of their passport. Acceptable utility bills are gas, water, electric or council tax. We're sorry but we cannot accept telephone bills or bank statements.

Your order has been cancelled pending the information requested. Once we have received and verified your identification we will email confirmation and all further orders will be dispatched without delay. Please allow up to 48 working hours for your identification to be processed and verified. In accordance with the Data Protection Act your details will not be stored or shared with any third party companies and documents will be destroyed once the identification process is complete.

Please email your documents to [email protected]. Be sure to head your email as Security Check in the subject header and include your Order Number on each page. The above email address is for identification purposes only, unfortunately we cannot respond to general queries. If you have any questions about the identification process or general questions regarding your account, please contact our Customer Services Team on 0871 521 3300 or via the online Enote system.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. This process is designed to benefit our customers and with your cooperation and help we can assist in the fight to reduce online fraud.

Kind regards,

Ebuyer Customer Support

now surely if there was a problem, the person i was talking to would have raised it?

i dunno maybe im being paranoid, has anyone else bought something from eBuyer and got this e-mail?

Doesn't seem genuine at all...........like really, why would they need that stuff, when your using a debit/credit card which has all your verified details on and goes through its own secure process.
Original post by Iqbal007
Doesn't seem genuine at all...........like really, why would they need that stuff, when your using a debit/credit card which has all your verified details on and goes through its own secure process.

Typically caused by having differing billing/delivery details.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Iqbal007

ill give them a bell this morning when they open
Reply 5
Original post by otester
Typically caused by having differing billing/delivery details.

This is quite likely. Especially if the address for your credit/debit card is different to what you've put in for the order. They'll want to ensure you live at the delivery address rather than it being some dodgy person using your card details to order stuff for themselves.

Asking your to email an @ebuyer.com address with the details suggests it's more legit (if it was a scam they would probably have a website). But as others have said, contact ebuyer with details from their site first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending