The Student Room Group

Studying Sociology in London

Hi everyone! I'm from Belfast and looking to study sociology at uni in London come September 2014. Are there any London universities with particularly strong sociology departments? Any you can recommend? It would be great to hear from some of you :smile: Thank you! x
Reply 1
Original post by emma37
Hi everyone! I'm from Belfast and looking to study sociology at uni in London come September 2014. Are there any London universities with particularly strong sociology departments? Any you can recommend? It would be great to hear from some of you :smile: Thank you! x

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE or Goldsmiths. It depends on what you wany really. Research universites tend to have little time for students. I took my students to Goldsmiths for a couple of open days and despite their reputation for research they seemed really interested in students.
Reply 2
Original post by risteard
Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE or Goldsmiths. It depends on what you wany really. Research universites tend to have little time for students. I took my students to Goldsmiths for a couple of open days and despite their reputation for research they seemed really interested in students.

I'd love to be able to consider those unis but I know myself that I wouldn't get the grades for them. In retrospect the subjects I chose for A Level really weren't right for me (apart from sociology of course!) so I'm probably looking at getting ACC/BCC :| I'd just like an all-round good modern university with a young diverse demographic :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by emma37
I'd love to be able to consider those unis but I know myself that I wouldn't get the grades for them. In retrospect the subjects I chose for A Level really weren't right for me (apart from sociology of course!) so I'm probably looking at getting ACC/BCC :| I'd just like an all-round good modern university with a young diverse demographic :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, okay. Have you considered City University? I dont know what their entry criteria is but you might get in there with ACC. It's in the heart of London, near the west end, loads of Irish people in Islington too - though perhaps you want new experiences. Met a 'chinese' fella from Belfast in a pub round there once. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by risteard
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, okay. Have you considered City University? I dont know what their entry criteria is but you might get in there with ACC. It's in the heart of London, near the west end, loads of Irish people in Islington too - though perhaps you want new experiences. Met a 'chinese' fella from Belfast in a pub round there once. :smile:

Yeah I've looked up City and it sounds incredible! I'd be veryyyy lucky to get in there! And I've spent time in Islington before and really liked it :smile: Haha well as long as it wasn't overrun with Irish people! But a few ones from home would be nice :smile: Thank you for your advice! Guess I'll know where I stand in a couple of days when results come out!
Hi,

We have a sociology and criminology combined course which sounds like it would be of interest to you. Your grades are also similar to what we look for in successful applicants. What has made you want to chose sociology and London? :smile:

We've got two open days in October (6th and 15th) so come and visit us!
Reply 6
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi,

We have a sociology and criminology combined course which sounds like it would be of interest to you. Your grades are also similar to what we look for in successful applicants. What has made you want to chose sociology and London? :smile:

We've got two open days in October (6th and 15th) so come and visit us!

Hi there, thank you for replying! I just looked up your course - it sounds really interesting! Your entry requirements say ABB though, and I only got BBC . But I would still definitely enjoy coming to the open day and finding out more. As for why I'd like to study sociology in London, well in my opinion it is the most relevant, interesting subject out there! And I've really enjoyed studying it at AS & A2 level. And London is such a vibrant city it would be amazing to study and live there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending