The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What is Lancaster like for somebody who isn't a stereotypical fresher?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I'm not sure, I guess you could ask your porter and they'd be able to tell you, that's all I can think of this late. But as I said before, just hang in there for a bit and see if it's still as bad in a week or so.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 181
Original post by Envelopes
I don't think i can manage another hour with these people. Do you know where I have to go to ask for a change in accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think all non-drinkers are having this problem, but as Lorox said, just wait a week or so. They will soon realise that it can't be Fresher's week every week and things will begin to die down.

Not to mention, there is a 'quiet' period from 11 PM - 7 AM every night, which again, is enforced much more after the frenzy that is Fresher's week. If your flatmates continue to make noise at 2 AM every morning after Fresher's week, just report it to your college porter and they will deal with it. I'd say that changing accommodation is more of an absolute last resort.
Reply 182
Original post by Ariathax
I think all non-drinkers are having this problem, but as Lorox said, just wait a week or so. They will soon realise that it can't be Fresher's week every week and things will begin to die down.

Not to mention, there is a 'quiet' period from 11 PM - 7 AM every night, which again, is enforced much more after the frenzy that is Fresher's week. If your flatmates continue to make noise at 2 AM every morning after Fresher's week, just report it to your college porter and they will deal with it. I'd say that changing accommodation is more of an absolute last resort.

Would it not create more tension if the porters were called? The main reason i didnt bother calling last night was due to being way too tired (and it being freshers).
Reply 183
You can't change accommodation within the first month, so you'll have to wait for the 4 week mark at the very least.

To be fair, Fresher's Week isn't usually an accurate representation of how your flat lives day to day (though sometimes it can be)
Reply 184
I'm glad to see that there are other Lancaster Freshers who aren't into the whole "freshers" thing.

Is anyone else in this thread from Grizedale? It's the foam party tonight and i'd rather not go.
Reply 185
Original post by Routhy
You can't change accommodation within the first month, so you'll have to wait for the 4 week mark at the very least.

To be fair, Fresher's Week isn't usually an accurate representation of how your flat lives day to day (though sometimes it can be)

I haven't had a good nights sleep since I have arrived but last night was the worst. Maybe it is because of freshers but I have no doubt that weekends will be similar to the whole of freshers week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
Would it not create more tension if the porters were called? The main reason i didnt bother calling last night was due to being way too tired (and it being freshers).

Not at all. You're paying £9,000 a year to be here, you're more than entitled to having peace and quiet at night so that you can sleep, which is why the quiet period exists.

If your flatmates continue to get pissed every night, stumbling in at god knows what time after Fresher's week, they're the ones in the wrong. If it does continue, are your flatmates approachable? Can you not have a word with them and just let them know it's bothering you and that you don't want to bring the porters into the equation, but you will if you need to?

Personally, I don't mind the odd night here and there in which I get woken up, or just being woken up at weekends. I understand that it is their way of having fun and it would create unnecessary tension as well as a dick move for me to demand that they stay in every night and not make any noise so that I can sleep. I think it's part of the whole 'university experience' thing. Understanding people have different ways of doing things, finding compromises, communicating effectively with people etc.
Reply 187
Original post by calake
I'm glad to see that there are other Lancaster Freshers who aren't into the whole "freshers" thing.

Is anyone else in this thread from Grizedale? It's the foam party tonight and i'd rather not go.

I'm not sure what other things there are to do tonight, the events seem to have mostly died down (maybe in an attempt to get people to wind down?), of course that means my flat mates are having nights in in the kitchen with the seemingly endless supply of cans and bottles. I'm actually beginning to wonder how they're managing to afford all this. :confused:
Reply 188
Not at all. You're paying £9,000 a year to be here, you're more than entitled to having peace and quiet at night so that you can sleep, which is why the quiet period exists.

If your flatmates continue to get pissed every night, stumbling in at god knows what time after Fresher's week, they're the ones in the wrong. If it does continue, are your flatmates approachable? Can you not have a word with them and just let them know it's bothering you and that you don't want to bring the porters into the equation, but you will if you need to?

Personally, I don't mind the odd night here and there in which I get woken up, or just being woken up at weekends. I understand that it is their way of having fun and it would create unnecessary tension as well as a dick move for me to demand that they stay in every night and not make any noise so that I can sleep. I think it's part of the whole 'university experience' thing. Understanding people have different ways of doing things, finding compromises, communicating effectively with people etc.

That's a very logical answer.

I think I'll let it slide and put it down to freshers week. I can't see them doing this stuff when actual lectures and stuff start (lack of funds also comes into it).

If it carries on or I can't seem to get on with them I will ask to change accommodation. I really hope there are "quiet halls".

For now, I might have to invest in some ear muffs or something. Atleast then I can get a good nights sleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
There is another dilemma. They also play ridiculously loud music throughout the day aswell. I mean, they could atleast close the door and keep their music to them selves.

I think my only option is to change accommodation.

Have you spoken to them about it? I think changing accommodation is quite an extreme step to take and shouldn't be the first option on your mind. I'm not even sure they'd let you change for these types of reasons.

Stand your ground. As I mentioned earlier, it's all part of the experience. Learning how to deal with things and situations you don't like, compromising with people and understanding how different types of people work. I know this may be an extreme example, but when you graduate and get a job, there may be a colleague that you don't particularly like. Your first option is not to quit your job and find a new one. Instead, you talk it through with them, come to agreements and get along civilly. The same kind of thing applies here.

Just out of interest, what are you studying and what college are you in?
Reply 190
Have you spoken to them about it? I think changing accommodation is quite an extreme step to take and shouldn't be the first option on your mind. I'm not even sure they'd let you change for these types of reasons.

Stand your ground. As I mentioned earlier, it's all part of the experience. Learning how to deal with things and situations you don't like, compromising with people and understanding how different types of people work. I know this may be an extreme example, but when you graduate and get a job, there may be a colleague that you don't particularly like. Your first option is not to quit your job and find a new one. Instead, you talk it through with them, come to agreements and get along civilly. The same kind of thing applies here.

Just out of interest, what are you studying and what college are you in?

Work would be different since you dont have to live with them or share your kitchen with them. Plus you would be getting paid! :biggrin:

Its like im paying all this money just to be miserable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 191
Work would be different since you dont have to live with them or share your kitchen with them. Plus you would be getting paid! :biggrin:

Its like im paying all this money just to be miserable.

Regardless, it's the same principle and it's about how you deal with the situation rather than the situation itself.

I really would suggest just waiting a week or two. Join some societies, get to know people outside of your flat, speak with your flatmates and let them know how you feel. Speak to people at lectures, on TSR and get doing things you want to do. Don't end up isolating yourself and being miserable just because you've got flatmates that you don't like, because they will play a minimal role in your university life overall.
Reply 192
Regardless, it's the same principle and it's about how you deal with the situation rather than the situation itself.

I really would suggest just waiting a week or two. Join some societies, get to know people outside of your flat, speak with your flatmates and let them know how you feel. Speak to people at lectures, on TSR and get doing things you want to do. Don't end up isolating yourself and being miserable just because you've got flatmates that you don't like, because they will play a minimal role in your university life overall.

Fair point. Hopefully things will get better and soon. Let's see how things go this week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Well, we survived fresher's week. :biggrin:

So I'm wondering what everyone else is doing now in terms of events/societies, mostly out of boredom.
Reply 194
That was probably the worst (read: best) freshers week I've experienced yet. Ive been around for 3 of the last 4, and this one was the quietest by far. I heard very little, and my flat was as quiet as summer.

Was anything going on at all?
Original post by Lorox

So I'm wondering what everyone else is doing now in terms of events/societies, mostly out of boredom.

Well I'm going to the film society's first screening at 7:00 today... Only problem is, I don't know where the cinema is. Any help would be really appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
"The cinema is located in Bowland LT and the doors will open at 7.15 pm"

Enjoy. :biggrin:
Original post by Lorox
"The cinema is located in Bowland LT and the doors will open at 7.15 pm"

Enjoy. :biggrin:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Original post by Lorox

Dunno about you guys, but I've packed my evenings with about 7 different societies.

D'you guys fancy meeting in one of the college bars to play pool and chat sometime this week?
Reply 199
I'd be up for that, the only days I seem to have found stuff to do in are Thursday and Friday so I'm wondering what to do the rest of the week...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending