The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Accommodation Dilema

Hi guys, really need some advice

I have been offered a self-catering en-suite room in Opal 2 for this year, but I had read bad reviews about the thin walls, noisy club nearby and the lack of social atmosphere

They have now given me the choice of that or a shared-bathroom, catered room in Endcliffe.

What are the shared bathrooms like and is it worth the sacrifice to be in Endcliffe?
Reply 1
I was in the same situation but have decided at the moment to keep my accommodation at Opal 2. You have to pay £45 extra a week for catered accommodation which you most likely won't spend on food a week at all in self catered. You also don't get a communal living area. I really didn't want to be in Opal but may as well make the most out of the situation and if you still don't like it after a few weeks then request to change accommodation as people will have probably dropped out by then :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
oh and by the way, if it's a shared bathroom it will be all male/female
Reply 3
Original post by iuytrewq
I was in the same situation but have decided at the moment to keep my accommodation at Opal 2. You have to pay £45 extra a week for catered accommodation which you most likely won't spend on food a week at all in self catered. You also don't get a communal living area. I really didn't want to be in Opal but may as well make the most out of the situation and if you still don't like it after a few weeks then request to change accommodation as people will have probably dropped out by then :smile:

Yeah, sounds like a good plan! The only other thing worrying me was how much extra internet would be at opal
Reply 4
Original post by Karl-m
Yeah, sounds like a good plan! The only other thing worrying me was how much extra internet would be at opal

what, we have to pay extra?? Also, what flat are you in?
Original post by Karl-m
Hi guys, really need some advice

I have been offered a self-catering en-suite room in Opal 2 for this year, but I had read bad reviews about the thin walls, noisy club nearby and the lack of social atmosphere

They have now given me the choice of that or a shared-bathroom, catered room in Endcliffe.

What are the shared bathrooms like and is it worth the sacrifice to be in Endcliffe?

Opal 2 is a good accommodation....Stay!
Reply 6
Original post by iuytrewq
what, we have to pay extra?? Also, what flat are you in?

Once again, I don't know for sure, but i've heard so :/ Sure it won't be too much. And I'm in G12, you?
Reply 7
Original post by Karl-m
Once again, I don't know for sure, but i've heard so :/ Sure it won't be too much. And I'm in G12, you?

oh that's not good..we also have to pay extra to use the pool, and I'm in E16 :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah, and the gym, not like that was likely anyway :/ Do you have any idea what other facilities there are, social rooms etc?
Reply 9
Original post by Karl-m

I think we do get internet included but if we want more data we have to pay more? Opal 2 used to be run independently from the uni's accommodation services so people used to have to pay for internet but apparently now it's included.
Reply 10
Original post by polichick
I think we do get internet included but if we want more data we have to pay more? Opal 2 used to be run independently from the uni's accommodation services so people used to have to pay for internet but apparently now it's included.

OK, that's a relief! Opal 2 not seeming so bad now :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Karl-m
Yeah, and the gym, not like that was likely anyway :/ Do you have any idea what other facilities there are, social rooms etc?

There's also a big communal area with a pool table, tv, sofas etc! I found this on youtube, it's one of those weird promotional videos but at least it gives you a good idea about what it looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQWhx8cv5w
Reply 12
I've rung them up to put my mind at ease. There are no extra broadband payments, a lot of undergrads and it actually looks quite nice. Actually starting to look forward to everything!
Reply 13
Original post by Karl-m
I've rung them up to put my mind at ease. There are no extra broadband payments, a lot of undergrads and it actually looks quite nice. Actually starting to look forward to everything!

ah that's good, I got an e-mail that was an attempt to reassure me I think which said that loads of other people were in the same position too so may as well just try and look forward to it now :smile:
Reply 14
Also in terms of noise; I lived at Endcliffe when I first came to Sheffield on exchange and I found it to be really noisy. Like yeah it was a good vibe for the first few weeks but eventually being woken up by my neighbours constantly and also having lots of people screaming and yelling outside at 4am can become a bit tiresome too.

I had a few friends at Opal 1 & 2 and they all seemed happy, and in the loop when it came to social stuff. Sometimes they came to Endcliffe or we used to go to their flats before we went out on the town.
Reply 15
Original post by polichick
Also in terms of noise; I lived at Endcliffe when I first came to Sheffield on exchange and I found it to be really noisy. Like yeah it was a good vibe for the first few weeks but eventually being woken up by my neighbours constantly and also having lots of people screaming and yelling outside at 4am can become a bit tiresome too.

I had a few friends at Opal 1 & 2 and they all seemed happy, and in the loop when it came to social stuff. Sometimes they came to Endcliffe or we used to go to their flats before we went out on the town.

thank you, that's really helped!
Reply 16
This is a weird question but does anyone know if the ethernet will require a password or will just be plug and go? trying to find a way to convert ethernet for my iPad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending