The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Elwyn
Glad to hear :smile:

I have no idea about EU qualifications I'm afraid. The admin team are very helpful though so if you send them an email explaining your situation they should be able to advise you.

I posted something about this a few pages back, I didn't fully understand it as it was sent to me by a member of the admin team. But, from what I gather if you have a GCSE score of 22 or above you should be fine.

damn...i have 19 points lol. 4A* 3A 1B
Probably best I dont apply here.
Thanks for the reply dude.
Reply 141
Original post by thefiretailedpony
Did you guys receive emails confirming receipt of your app?

Yep :smile: got mine on Monday morning after app was sent on Saturday
Reply 142
how do I enter my edxcel gcses in Core and Additional science on ucas? When i tried to, they only had additional science but no core science. Should I just pick science for core science.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 143
Original post by Angury
Your GCSEs should be fine to apply to Cardiff with (I think they'll give you 26 points), and Cardiff doesn't really place a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT either.
According to this article:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

The Applications:Place ratio was 7 for last year.

With regard to the interview, I had three people: a consultant, a fourth year medical student and a lecturer. I found the interview to be very relaxed, and even enjoyable. Most of the questions were based on my Personal Statement, along with a couple of ethical questions. I think they were looking for me to take the initiative and steer the interview, as it was all very open.

For your application, they will score your top 9 GCSEs, with A* receiving 3 points, A 2 points and B 1 point. I don't think they really look at AS Levels, or the UKCAT.

For your personal statement I would recommend reading this:
http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/medical-education/undergraduate/admissions/entry-requirements/non-academic-criteria/

A reflective PS will be a huge help, try not to just list everything you've done. You will be able to expand upon your PS in the interview.

Best of luck with the application process, feel free to ask if you have anymore questions. :smile: ]

Thank you! much appreciated :smile:
Hi again, would you recommend me doing a voluntary work related to children with special needs? (ie, whizz kids) I would like to apply to Cardiff and I was wondering if it was a waste of time since I already volunteer in a hospice.

Reply 145
I've posted a wee thread in the main forum but I should ask here of my chances. I'm a mature student (27) with little academic experience (Canadian high school at about 80%) and I'm currently on an Access to Medicine program. I have 4 years of clinical experience with a diverse background in the work force. I've scored a 2830 (707.5 average) UKCAT and Cardiff is one of the few Uni's that may accept an application from myself!

Anybody have any insight into the realistic chances of making it down for consideration by Cardiff? As per their entry requirements, I meet them as I've been out of study for 5+ years since my access course and my UKCAT is reasonable (I think?). Strategic applications seem to be the way forward but with few choices I'm struggling!!
Hi guys, is the course at Cardiff intergrated? How much of it is PBL? Do you start clinical hospital work straight away ie a few times a week.
Reply 147
Oh, what sort of course type does Cardiff do?
Reply 148
Original post by Voldermort
Hi guys, is the course at Cardiff intergrated? How much of it is PBL? Do you start clinical hospital work straight away ie a few times a week.

Original post by vasuki8
Oh, what sort of course type does Cardiff do?

It is integrated and systems-based. Cardiff have a small amount of what's called Case Based Learning (CBL) which is similar to PBL, but is more guided and doesn't leave all the work to you. You also start clinical stuff early on. At least this is what I get from what they said.
Reply 149
Original post by bubz.
I've posted a wee thread in the main forum but I should ask here of my chances. I'm a mature student (27) with little academic experience (Canadian high school at about 80%) and I'm currently on an Access to Medicine program. I have 4 years of clinical experience with a diverse background in the work force. I've scored a 2830 (707.5 average) UKCAT and Cardiff is one of the few Uni's that may accept an application from myself!

Anybody have any insight into the realistic chances of making it down for consideration by Cardiff? As per their entry requirements, I meet them as I've been out of study for 5+ years since my access course and my UKCAT is reasonable (I think?). Strategic applications seem to be the way forward but with few choices I'm struggling!!

If you meet Cardiff's entry requirements, what's the issue? You've got a decent UKCAT score, so nothing to worry about there.

Have you already done a degree? Thought about graduate entry at all?
Reply 150
I have not done a degree, I am a mature undergraduate thus the uncertainty. They claim access programs are accepted and the UKCAT is reasonable so I will be sending an application in and hope for the best.
Reply 151
W0000t, application has been acknowledged!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you send your application? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 153
Original post by bubz.
I have not done a degree, I am a mature undergraduate thus the uncertainty. They claim access programs are accepted and the UKCAT is reasonable so I will be sending an application in and hope for the best.

Original post by Hugby1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck guys :smile:
Reply 154
Original post by Flobie
When did you send your application? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Friday my end. Sent on Monday by School.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the medicine booklet from? I've only got last year's...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elwyn
Please do! :biggrin:

Us Cardiff medics are a bit thin on the ground on here and with me now being busy with placements and Angury sleeping all day we're not on here as much as we used to be :tongue:

Hope you've enjoyed your first couple of weeks, best of luck for the year. Let me know if you need anything.

Hi Elwyn!

I was just wondering when you got your reply from cardiff by? and when did you apply? if you can remember..

Thankyou!:smile:
Reply 157
Original post by studentt2013
Hi Elwyn!

I was just wondering when you got your reply from cardiff by? and when did you apply? if you can remember..

Thankyou!:smile:

I can remember :smile:

I had an interview invitation in early february and my interview was on the 11th of that month. I think it was a good few weeks later, possibly early april when I received an offer confirmation via email (not via track, which updated a few weeks later). That year they had some technical issues which is why it took so long for them to tell us about our offers, but I know the time between receiving an interview and getting a decision can vary from a around a week to a good few weeks.

My advice would be to forget about UCAS now that you've applied. It's easier said than done but worrying over these applications every day just makes you a nervous wreck. You should enjoy your final year in school and work as if you have that offer already so you have as much motivation to succeed as possible.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 158
Original post by hunteronetwo
Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the medicine booklet from? I've only got last year's...

Posted from TSR Mobile

What medicine booklet would that be? Do you mean the prospectus?

I think this is the latest one:
http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/media/filer/2013/01/23/c21_brochure_2013-14.pdf
Original post by Elwyn
I can remember :smile:

I had an interview invitation in early february and my interview was on the 11th of that month. I think it was a good few weeks later, possibly early april when I received an offer confirmation via email (not via track, which updated a few weeks later). That year they had some technical issues which is why it took so long for them to tell us about our offers, but I know the time between receiving an interview and getting a decision can vary from a around a week to a good few weeks.

My advice would be to forget about UCAS now that you've applied. It's easier said than done but worrying over these applications every day just makes you a nervous wreck. You should enjoy your final year in school and work as if you have that offer already so you have as much motivation to succeed as possible.

Good luck :biggrin:

thankyou! I got an email today from cardiff saying that the department has received my application and will be considering it carefully', so I should expect a reply around January/February? Thankss :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending