The Student Room Group

UWE (BA Economics), Kingston (Bsc Econ) or Brighton (Bsc Business with Econ)?

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong place, however this looked the busiest part of the forum and I'm in need of some sort of help or advice pretty soon, as I haven't got long to decide.

Basically I didn't do enough to get into my firm choice (Sussex), but got a place at my insurance choice (UWE) to study BA Economics. I've heard decent things about the Uni, and Bristol is by all accounts a good city for students, so I would be quite happy to study there. However I have been informed that it would be impossible to live on campus, and as they heavily oversubscribed they had to allocate students the Unite halls in the city centre, leaving me no option but to house share with other first years. This is proving to be problematic as housing near the campus I will be studying at (Frenchay) seems scarce. I have managed to contact a few others in the same situation in the hope of arranging something.

Meanwhile I looked through clearing and contacted both Brighton and Kingston regarding their respective courses, and have been informed by both they would make me an offer should I request to be released by UWE. Of the three Brighton is the city where I would most like to live, however the course is obviously different. Kingston from what I've read is highly regarded by those who have studied there, though I've heard if you do not live on campus you will spend a lot of time commuting, so I'm not sure if I'd just be swapping one headache for another.

So basically I'm stuck in a quandary as to what I should do.... while the academic side of things is obviously more important than the social, I am going to be at one of these Uni's for the next three years, so I don't want to be isolated in a house miles away from Campus, possibly living with people I have next to nothing in common with.

If anyone could offer some insight to any of these Uni's or courses, or any advice on my predicament, it would be hugely appreciated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I study at Brighton, so I'd say go there! Only like 60% of first years get halls (from what I've heard, don't shoot me if I'm wrong but it seems right from experience), so it's not like there's nobody to live with. Where all the student housing is is pretty much in a few areas around where the unis actually are, so even if you don't get on with house mates, there'll be plenty of students around. Also, as you're doing business, I'm guessing you'll be at the moulsecoomb campus? This is good as there's loads of student accommodation around Bevendean and moulsecoomb, and isn't far from other student areas such as elm grove and Hanover.

The teaching, in my experience, is just like any other uni with around the same reputation. It's been really good, and communication is great, although there are a couple of lecturers who I didn't particularly like. Although I think it was more the style and the subject rather than the actual people.

Whatever uni you go to though, you'll love it. I was disappointed I had to go to brighton rather than my firm choice but I've not looked back since. It's a brilliant city and there's things to do for everyone, and I mean everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending