The Student Room Group

Going from a small town to a big city!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
2 days to go!
Can I start panicking yet? Good, because I started doing that about a month ago!
I can't even begin to tell you guys how stressed I've been! My main worry is money, I'm having to go into Freshers week overdrawn and not much left to spend, and I have to live off that until around Friday 27th when my Student Finance comes in...should be interesting!

I already have trouble sleeping at the best of times, but when I have so much running around my mind I'm not falling asleep until 5/5:30am most nights :frown:

I'm pretty much packed! Managed to fit about 95% of the the clothes I own into one suitcase acheivement!) and then fill a slightly smaller suitcase with shoes and bags.
I'm leaving a few things at home, for example spare sets of pyjamas and clothing in case I forget to bring things when I visit home.

My moving arrangements are a little in the air at the moment; I'm supposed to be putting all my stuff into my stepmum's car and she'll drive my stuff there whilst I ride in my sister's car with her and my nan. However, my stepmum has now told me that she has to go to the bank on Saturday morning and said she might have to meet us at Uni later.....how does that even work? How am I supposed to move in with no stuff?!
Freaking out slightly!

I've said a lot of my goodbyes now, it's been difficult and it's been stressful but it'll all be worth it!

Might do a last minute blog tomorrow night to show you the end result of packing :smile:

Edit: Thought I'd let you know that a girl added me from the MMU Freshers Facebook page, she's in my halls (at the other end though) and we've been talking none-stop and actually gotten really close! So it's nice to know that I'll have a friend there already! It's not all doom and gloom :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ebduff
2 days to go!
Can I start panicking yet? Good, because I started doing that about a month ago!
I can't even begin to tell you guys how stressed I've been! My main worry is money, I'm having to go into Freshers week overdrawn and not much left to spend, and I have to live off that until around Friday 27th when my Student Finance comes in...should be interesting!

I already have trouble sleeping at the best of times, but when I have so much running around my mind I'm not falling asleep until 5/5:30am most nights :frown:

I'm pretty much packed! Managed to fit about 95% of the the clothes I own into one suitcase acheivement!) and then fill a slightly smaller suitcase with shoes and bags.
I'm leaving a few things at home, for example spare sets of pyjamas and clothing in case I forget to bring things when I visit home.

My moving arrangements are a little in the air at the moment; I'm supposed to be putting all my stuff into my stepmum's car and she'll drive my stuff there whilst I ride in my sister's car with her and my nan. However, my stepmum has now told me that she has to go to the bank on Saturday morning and said she might have to meet us at Uni later.....how does that even work? How am I supposed to move in with no stuff?!
Freaking out slightly!

I've said a lot of my goodbyes now, it's been difficult and it's been stressful but it'll all be worth it!

Might do a last minute blog tomorrow night to show you the end result of packing :smile:

Edit: Thought I'd let you know that a girl added me from the MMU Freshers Facebook page, she's in my halls (at the other end though) and we've been talking none-stop and actually gotten really close! So it's nice to know that I'll have a friend there already! It's not all doom and gloom :biggrin:

Glad you've found a friend who is living close :smile: You still sound so much more organised than me despite the fact that I'm moving on the same day as you aha
Can you defo post some pics of your finished packing? Am defo starting to panic that I have waaaaaaayyyy too much stuff, honestly its ridiculous...
Don't worry you are not alone with the panicking though, I am too now that its so near, my parents keep giving me random items like a spanner and screwdriver before announcing 'it might be useful', what, are they expecting me to start constructing my own shelves? Anyways it sure to say I do feel sorry for you with the car situation, how long does it take to go to the bank anyways? Good luck! I'm sure you will be fine with money as during freshers apparently most night are cheaper as loads of people share transport and everyone lives off of noodles before having 2 4 1 drinks so its all good :smile:
Reply 22
I MOVE TOMORROW! AHHHHH!
(excuse me whilst I go and freak out....)

Okay, so it is currently 1:55am, sat in bed with a billion thoughts running through my head...'Will I sleep tonight?', 'What if I sleep in late by accident?', 'Will I leave the house when I intend to?', 'Will all of my stuff fit into the tiny Corsa?', 'Where will I pick up my keys?', 'Will my flatmates like me?', 'Will my room look nice?', 'Will my room have enough space for my stuff?', 'Will I cry when my sister leaves me?'.

Yeah, they're just a few thoughts...notice how they go in chronological order though? Impressive.

So below is a picture of my packing!
DSCN0401.jpg

There are four large boxes, one medium, one small, two suitcases, my TV (which isn't in the picture), my laptop, a bag for life filled with food and my sewing basket (on the left of the silver suitcase).

Am I taking too much? Maybe. But I'd rather have too much than too little!

I'm (hoping to) set off at 11am tomorrow morning (technically this morning, urgh) which should get me to Manchester for about 11:40am depending on traffic! From there I have to go pick up my keys, drag my luggage to my room and take it from there!

Originally I was going to go in a car with my sister and my nan, whilst my step-mum, her husband and my little brother went in a van with my stuff in the back, however, my nan told me she didn't think there was much point in her going and I decided I wouldn't be able to deal with the stress of my 7 y/o brother causing mayhem (he has a habit of running off and getting lost) so now I am going to put everything into my sister's car which should be interesting to say the least!

I can't deal with tearful goodbyes! For example, my mum came to my house today to say goodbye to me and she started blubbering and I was just like 'erm...there, there?'

I am going to try and post on here as soon as possible with a before and after picture of my new room!
I can't guarantee frequent posts, but I will make mental notes of what I have done so I can give my lovely readers as much detail as possible!

So until my next post where I'm a fully fledged university student, I bid you farewell!
Reply 23
HEY GUYS! :biggrin:

SO sorry that it's taken me so long to blog!

So this might be a long entry as I'm gonna try and put as much detail in as possible!

Saturday 21st September
MOVING DAYYY!
So I had about 2 hours sleep because I was so nervous, but I woke up at about 8:30am, and the morning was a bit hectic! But we managed to get everything in the car and my sister and I set off at about 12:30. We arrived, had to get my car key and then do a lot of waiting to actually get into a parking bay to unload. When we did park, they said we have 15 minutes to get everything into my room and move the car, but fortunately it was easy as student reps were helping us move so it was really quick. Then when me and my sister went to move the car we decided it'd just be easier for her to leave me then to unpack, it was quite an abrupt goodbye but I wasn't too bothered.
Took me forever to unpack because I had no help but I got there in the end :smile:
Whilst unpacking I didn't get chance to talk to my flatmates because they were all unpacking too and still had their parents there, but in the end we met and found out that there were only 8 rooms filled out of 10 so assumed the others would move in the next day.
We're on the ground floor and everyone can see into our kitchen so everyone ended up coming into our flat for pre drinks (they aren't made to accommodate 50 people). Then we headed to 5th Ave where I got stalked by some guy and I literally had to run away! Ended up meeting another guy and bringing him home...oops!

Sunday 22nd September
The other two flatmates arrived, so now we have 6 girls and 4 boys, and we are actually lucky because apparently first year students are about 80% female 20% male!
We all started getting to know each other and I got to meet the girl who I had been talking to for a few weeks on Facebook! She's amazing and we're always together now! So we went to a mini freshers fair where we won Benefit mascara, sweets and a Uni hoody! Buzzing! We went out again that night and it got rather messy! We were at Factory and it was packed and SO warm! Ended up losing everyone but didn't mind in the slightest! I can't remember heading home or getting into bed, but the next day I was told that I brought a guy back but ended up kicking him out before we even got to my room! Hahahaha, he also has my number too...how?!

Monday 23rd September
Woke up with the mother of all hangovers, it was so bad and I had to be in Uni for 9:30, ahhhh. So I stayed for like an hour and a half and I was due to have two 2 hour lectures, but I felt SO rubbish and ill that I didn't go and ended up going back to halls and sleeping for a bit!
One of my flatmates is feeling a bit left out, I don't know what it is honestly, but she's just not clicking with everyone? So she came crying to me saying she doesn't think anyone likes her so I calmed her down and just told her that everyone feels the same but we all just make the effort! After that, I let the other girls know that she was feeling left out and they then made a bit more effort with her which is good. Then we went out to Gorilla which was amazing, proper bass music! However, just before I was leaving the club my purse got STOLEN. AHHHHHHHHHHH.
I didn't realise until I got to my halls, and because I'd already been a bit stressed (homesick and I kept losing my keys!) I just burst out crying! My flatmates were SO good with me though, they rang the club for me but they didn't have it and they took my make up off for me and gave me some munchies to calm me down and said if I needed any money to let them know! Ended up going to bed feeling a bit more at ease!

Tuesday 24th September, TODAY!
Today I missed my first lecture because I just felt crap and needed to sort out my bank cards and stuff. I've blocked my cards and they're sending me a new one to my local branch in Manchester which made me feel better. I have about £40 cash which should last tomorrow and Thursday night and I should get my loan on Friday, but I've stayed in tonight so I can get a good sleep!
The girl who was feeling left out yesterday has REALLY annoyed me though...I had bought a ticket for a TigerTiger event tonight, but because of the bank card thing, I decided to sell it because I need all the money I can get now. So this girl said she'd buy it off me, but then later in the day told the other girls she wanted a wristband and not a ticket (there's no difference and the wristbands had all gone), so the other girls were like "No, you have to buy it off her, help her out, you don't NEED a wristband" and she kept refusing, so when they told me I sold it to someone else.
Then about an hour ago, she said "Are you definitely staying in?" and I said yes so she asked if she could buy the ticket, and I told her that I knew that she didn't want to buy it off me and so sold it on. Then she went off on one at me!!
About half an hour later, the girls were ready to go and the guys were going off too, so this girl comes to me and says "Ebony, do you wanna come out with me? I'll pay for everything!"
This wound me up....why? She had a massive rant yesterday about how she's maxed out 3 different overdrafts and stayed in last night because she has 'no money at all'
Why would you just lie? Seriously? So she's currently in her room and I'm in mine. Everyone's out now and I can't be bothered with her at all.
To say I don't dislike people at all, she's REALLY winding me up!

Gonna watch a DVD in bed with a brew and chill!
Got Freshers Fair tomorrow :biggrin:

Will post some pictures soon! :smile:

Reply 24
What's a Freshers blog without a drunken post?
Had a weirdly good night!
Will do a detailed blog when I'm sober!
(This post took a lot of concentration!!!!!
haha really loving your posts and glad you are having a good time :smile:
Original post by ebduff
What's a Freshers blog without a drunken post?
Had a weirdly good night!
Will do a detailed blog when I'm sober!
(This post took a lot of concentration!!!!!

Sounds like you're having a good time. How are you getting on now?
Reply 27
My sincere apologies for being rubbish at blogging!

I'm not going to do a day by day of the last two weeks simply because it'd take me forever and I can't remember everything!

SO!
I've been here nearly 3 weeks now! It feels like I've been here forever though, it's weird!
Recently I have been wondering whether to move back home at Christmas or try to find a different room simply because it is so hard to sleep here! My window faces onto the 'courtyard' which is the centre of all the flats where everyone walks through to go home and where they all sit and shout at 5am EVERY night. I'd probably have a better chance of getting to sleep in a nightclub than here. Le sigh!
So because of the noise, it means I'm tossing and turning every night until about 5-6am, which consequently makes me sleep through my alarm and miss quite a bit of uni :/
I'm quite worried about the amount I've been missing; I have been ill for 2 weeks now, and with this noise added on top it makes it feel impossible!

I finally got a new bank card (YAY!) and I've just got a new iPhone on contract too! (Don't assume I'm blowing my money, I needed a new phone!)
Everyone is still getting on okay in the flat I think!

So far, so good :smile:
Reply 28
Good afternoon amigos!

Uni is still fab!
However, last night we went out to Factory Thursday (£1 entry and £1 drinks, you can't refuse), but for the first time I didn't really enjoy it! It already feels like we've gone out so much and it's become a little monotonous :frown:
So I'm now going to stay in until either tomorrow or Tuesday I think.
I have a new booty call it seems, nice guy actually so that's a positive!

I keep losing my swipe card to get into my flat which is really annoying me; I used it last night and I wasn't even drunk so goodness knows where I've put it!
Another annoying thing is that in my halls there are around 850 rooms, yet only 10 washing machines and 12 dryers between all of us....this is not cool! I've been handwashing socks in my room simply because I run out so quickly which is weird.
Alas, I am currently staring at the launderette from my window to make sure I see when someone picks up their washing!!

Not much else to say, will update again in a few days :smile:
Reply 29
FOUND MY SWIPE CARD, WOO!

And now...I'm going to show you my room!!! :biggrin:

1395871_393424814094375_132145820_n.jpg
This is the view as you walk in my door!

995517_393424887427701_1055920433_n.jpg
My bed and pinboard!

1383074_393424800761043_1629219645_n.jpg
Other side of my bed, little cubby hole area :smile:

1379371_393424810761042_1688564469_n.jpg
View from desk to door.

1382967_393424807427709_296250630_n.jpg
Sink area :smile:

YAY! I really like my room :smile:
cute room, ace blogging, please continue! Glad you have been enjoying freshers!
Reply 31
I'M GOING HOME TOMORROW! WOOHOO!
Missed my family so much! Staying until Sunday so hopefully I can get some decent sleep! :smile:
Went out last night for our flatmates birthday, watched the footy (YES ENGLAND) and ended up in The Deaf Institute and spent WAY too much money and got WAY too drunk!

Ah to be a student!
*subbing*
Reply 33
So the day i was going home had to be the day I got a massive ear infection!!
I had to beg to see the doctor who put me on 8 antibiotics a day for a week but after my first dose i was vomitting none stop for 48 hours (yay)! Consequently I have stopped taking them and am booking back in at the doctors tomorrow again!
Bar being ill it was lovely to go home but very hard to leave again!

I'm up to my ears in work (I know law degrees are demanding but COME ON!)

I haven't been out since last Wednesday so am looking forward to having a night out tomorrow!!
Tonight me and some flatmates sat around talking about relationships, sex, drugs and all that (what we'd done), and it was nice that we were talking about such personal things SOBER!!
Life is fab!
I want to sleep but I have two workshops to prepare for for tomorrow morning, BOO!

Ah well, to be a student!
Reply 34
Tonight has been one of those nights where you just can't be bothered being out :/

Applied for two bar jobs though, yay!
Reply 35
I GOT A JOB INTERVIEW !
AHHHH!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ebduff
I GOT A JOB INTERVIEW !
AHHHH!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! Good luck for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Okay so I went to the job interview and I thought I did really well! Then the guy told me that there were 35 applicants for 2 jobs...at which point I knew that I'd be lucky to get the job.
He said he'd call the successful ones at like 3pm on the same day and I never received a phonecall so I obviously didn't get the job (BOO YOU!)
However, he said he keeps our records on file in case he needs anyone else in the next two weeks or if the newbies don't like it or whatever so there's still hope!

What has annoyed me though, is that when I applied to that job, I applied to another nightclub too. I'd sent my CV over a Facebook message (they told us to do that) and they STILL haven't read it, whereas my flatmate emailed them two days later to apply and she got a trial THAT night and now she's currently working her second shift....WTFFFFFFFFF.

Not happy.
Oh well, just keep looking!
Reply 38
Well...last night was interesting.....

I decided I wasn't drinking and I was going to stay in. Two of my flatmates decided they were going to drink for a bit in the kitchen with some of our friends and then head to a flat party.
They left our flat a little tipsy and an hour later I ended up in an ambulance with my flatmate and friend because my friend has tripped and smacked her head on a concrete floor and consequently gone deluded.
Ended up sat in A & E until 6am this morning only for the doctors to be rubbish with her and give her a 'minor head injury' card and be told to stay around people for the next 12 hours.

Gah, I hate the NHS sometimes.
So I slept until around 3pm today and it was a very good sleep!
Now I have to tackle my uni work for tomorrow, wah :frown:
Reply 39
READING WEEK, YAHOOOOO.
How much reading will be done is a different matter entirely though!
Going up to Fallowfield tonight to watch the fireworks, I LOVE FIREWORKS! YAY. Mega excited haha!
Have to go to the doctors AGAIN today to see if they can fix me (being ill for 6 weeks isn't fun!)

Already been productive! Tidied my room, done some washing and did some food shopping and it's only 10:35am?! WTF?
Was home for the weekend which was great, got to see all of my friends and catch up! Now I have to wait 6 weeks to go back again at Christmas but I can't say that bothers me, I've become so used to doing what I want whenever I want haha.
Living at uni really does make you independent! Crazy!

Hope everyone else is doing well whether you are a fresher like me or are in the process of applying to uni!

PS 3000+ views?! Wow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending