The Student Room Group

Going from a small town to a big city!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
HELLO!
Sorry I haven't been updating so much! (boooo me!)
So, the Freshers uproar has well and truly died down, I only go out about once, tops twice a week, mainly because I have SO much work (which I usually end up not doing) or I just can't be arsed!

Had a few conflicts with my flatmates and even though the majority of those conflicts have been resolved I am pretty certain that I won't live with any of them next year!

It was carnage last Sunday (17th) and it was a little messy..l got rather drunk, to the point that I took myself home by 2am (I don't remember doing this) while the others stayed out until 5am. Managed to go to 4 out of the 5 clubs and was proud for drinking heavily for 8 hours solid!

Going away to Wales this weekend with some friends and I'm very excited for it!
However, my insomnia has got 10x worse, most nights I just don't sleep (like tonight).
However, the good thing is that I've showered and got ready, and at 7 on the dot I intend to go put some washing on, post some letter, have a wee shopping trip and start packing for the weekend before my lecture at 10am! I'm so productive in the morning! :biggrin:

Once again, I hope my fellow freshers are enjoying uni!
Reply 41
I've just read this thread from start to finish and it's making me look forward to Uni so much, but when I was reading about you leaving your home I nearly started crying thinking of myself in the same situation in just under a year!
I'm glad you're having a good time, I hope that I can end up being as productive as you're being!
Have fun and keep posting!:tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by jadej
I've just read this thread from start to finish and it's making me look forward to Uni so much, but when I was reading about you leaving your home I nearly started crying thinking of myself in the same situation in just under a year!
I'm glad you're having a good time, I hope that I can end up being as productive as you're being!
Have fun and keep posting!:tongue:

Bless you!
Don't get upset, it's a difficult thing to leave home, but also a very valuable experience! It just makes me appreciate my family more!
Reply 43
Okay, so it's been nearly a month since I posted...I am going to keep coming back to this blog and maybe even continue it through my other years at Uni (should I pass first year!)

I'm actually going to talk a little bit about my course so you can get a bit of insight on that rather than just the student lifestyle!

So, if you've been with me all the way, you'll know that I study law! (Whenever I tell anyone this they say 'oooooh, a clever one!' <-- they are SO wrong!)

So in my first year I study 4 modules: tort law, contract law, public law & law and society.
I have a lecture (1 hour) and a workshop (2 hours) in each topic every week...if you're not good at maths, that means I'm in 12 hours a week :wink:

My lectures give a general overview of a topic within the module and then we go off and do our prep work for our workshops (can take anywhere between 10mins-4 hours so far) which consists of reading and answering questions, then you take your work to the workshop where you go through your answers as a class and then do more activities based on that topic.
Many of my tutors will kick you out of the class if you haven't done the prep work, they sometimes turn you away from the class if you show up late too!

I am going to be honest, I've been so rubbish with my attendance...I haven't managed a full week yet and I've been here over 2 months...
So the fact that I have my real moot (mock court case assessment) in tort on Monday scares the crap out of me...I managed to wing my practice one but crikey...I haven't even started writing it!

I enjoy my course, it is demanding, very demanding, but I think if you do put the work in then you see the benefits! I just need to kick myself into action and go in more before I screw up everything!!

Now then, I have something to confess....I haven't been completely honest with you guys and it is possible that after this post, some of you will choose to stop reading my posts because they might become 'boring', but that's your choice!
I am a Christian, and I have been for just over 6 years...but when I got to uni, I pretty much abandoned my beliefs and went along with the crowd, which I regretted from the word go!

However, I am happy to say that I'm back on track with the Big G! I've joined my uni's Christian Union who are absolutely amazing and I see every Tuesday, I have joined a church which is mainly student based that I go to on Sunday, and that church also run Student Bible Study where about 80+ student go every Thursday to eat together, study the bible and have a barrel of laughs together.
I honestly couldn't be happier right now!

Tonight I sang in the choir at the church I've joined; I had to do a solo which was pretty terrifying but I didn't receive any bad feedback!

But I felt like I should tell you guys about that because that is who I am, I'm not a typical party girl, in fact I find going out very boring at the moment!! So I can't say that from now on this will be a typical getting-drunk-all-the-time-leading-a-crazy-life student blog!

One way in which I'm maintaining the student reputation though, is that I am a STUPID amount into my overdraft! DARN IT!!!

Hope you enjoyed the post, hope you are all well :smile:
Original post by ebduff
Okay, so it's been nearly a month since I posted...I am going to keep coming back to this blog and maybe even continue it through my other years at Uni (should I pass first year!)

I'm actually going to talk a little bit about my course so you can get a bit of insight on that rather than just the student lifestyle!

So, if you've been with me all the way, you'll know that I study law! (Whenever I tell anyone this they say 'oooooh, a clever one!' <-- they are SO wrong!)

So in my first year I study 4 modules: tort law, contract law, public law & law and society.
I have a lecture (1 hour) and a workshop (2 hours) in each topic every week...if you're not good at maths, that means I'm in 12 hours a week :wink:

My lectures give a general overview of a topic within the module and then we go off and do our prep work for our workshops (can take anywhere between 10mins-4 hours so far) which consists of reading and answering questions, then you take your work to the workshop where you go through your answers as a class and then do more activities based on that topic.
Many of my tutors will kick you out of the class if you haven't done the prep work, they sometimes turn you away from the class if you show up late too!

I am going to be honest, I've been so rubbish with my attendance...I haven't managed a full week yet and I've been here over 2 months...
So the fact that I have my real moot (mock court case assessment) in tort on Monday scares the crap out of me...I managed to wing my practice one but crikey...I haven't even started writing it!

I enjoy my course, it is demanding, very demanding, but I think if you do put the work in then you see the benefits! I just need to kick myself into action and go in more before I screw up everything!!

Now then, I have something to confess....I haven't been completely honest with you guys and it is possible that after this post, some of you will choose to stop reading my posts because they might become 'boring', but that's your choice!
I am a Christian, and I have been for just over 6 years...but when I got to uni, I pretty much abandoned my beliefs and went along with the crowd, which I regretted from the word go!

However, I am happy to say that I'm back on track with the Big G! I've joined my uni's Christian Union who are absolutely amazing and I see every Tuesday, I have joined a church which is mainly student based that I go to on Sunday, and that church also run Student Bible Study where about 80+ student go every Thursday to eat together, study the bible and have a barrel of laughs together.
I honestly couldn't be happier right now!

Tonight I sang in the choir at the church I've joined; I had to do a solo which was pretty terrifying but I didn't receive any bad feedback!

But I felt like I should tell you guys about that because that is who I am, I'm not a typical party girl, in fact I find going out very boring at the moment!! So I can't say that from now on this will be a typical getting-drunk-all-the-time-leading-a-crazy-life student blog!

One way in which I'm maintaining the student reputation though, is that I am a STUPID amount into my overdraft! DARN IT!!!

Hope you enjoyed the post, hope you are all well :smile:

You shouldn't feel the need to hide your religion from people lol, well done for just coming out and saying it. Always be true to yourself.

I'm an ex-Christian but I have Christian friends and they can be crazy sometimes but usually they are pretty normal people who are very nice and friendly. :smile:

Hope you're really enjoying uni, I can't wait to start uni next year! I was supposed to start this year but took a gap year instead so all my friends are kind of gone so it is a bit lonely. I'm really looking forward to it though. Oh, and good luck looking for a job! I'm also looking for a job now and its so competitive! Hopefully we'll get something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Hello again!
I have some nice news!!
I've found a guy who I really like!!!!!! :biggrin:
He's from my CU, and he's just lovely! He came round for some brews today and we're going to the cinema together soon when he gets time off work...I don't know if it's a date...it was never specified as a date but he did ask me!
We talk quite a lot really and it's making me feel like I'm back in year 9 or something where you look forward to their texts and what not!
Obviously I'm not sure if the feeling is mutual, but we'll see how it pans out!!

In other news I'm still stupidly ill! I've had a cough for quite a long time now, so the doctors have given me an inhaler (which does nothing) and I've had blood tests, so hopefully I'll have some answers soon about it :smile:

I also had my tort moot assessment on Tuesday which I think I did reasonably well in; I get my results next Thursday so I'll let you know!

(Sidenote: HE JUST TEXTED ME, YAYYYYYY (hahahaha I'm a loser)

But yeah, things are looking up :smile:
Reply 46
Hello there!
Hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas!
Fortunately I got lots of smelly stuff so I won't have to buy it for a while at uni! Woo!

Unfortunately, I have been ill pretty much constantly since August and I mainly put it down to moving to uni and being exposed to a lot more germs. My main issue is that I have been coughing constantly for about 3 months!
On Friday 19th I learned that I have a condition called A1AD, which affects your lungs and liver; a few people in my family have this condition and it unfortunately killed my Dad when he was only 41.
So, I'm being referred to consultants when I get back to uni, it's not curable but they can help me manage it, those appointments can't come soon enough!!!
My family took this news very hard as they fear that I too will be taken before my time like my Dad and they are being very protective of me at the moment.
It's been a very eye opening experience learning that I have the condition, it's made me look at my life and how I'm living it and I'm hoping to start making my life more exciting.

Sorry it's a little bit of a sad post! But I'm just happy to be with my family right now! :smile:

Have a great time over the festive season!
Adios :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
PS, in terms of the guy I like...I have NO idea what's going on there! He's very hot and cold like most guys! *le sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Hang in there sister! One glorious day, things will turn out how we want them to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Going back to uni tomorrow! I don't start lectures until the 13th but I have coursework to do and would prefer the peace and quiet in my flat (there's only one person in my flat atm).
I will be really sad to leave my family, it's been great being back with my nan!
I'm gonna go back to uni with a positive attitude and hopefully things will get better there :smile:
With the regards to the guy I like? No idea what on earth is happening there, he's been working everyday so he has hardly any time to talk as he's always tired when he gets home! Really hoping that that all works out!
I had a great Christmas and unfortunately a very boring new year!
Hope you've all enjoyed the festive season :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
WOW, nearly two months since I last posted! MY SINCERE APOLOGIES GUYS!

I'd say that I've been busy (which I have a little) but really I'm just lazy!

SO, what's happened in the last two months?

Well, I've done 3 pieces of coursework and managed to fail one, oops! I'm waiting to hear back about my other two, but I'm not hopeful that I've done well!
Note to you guys, don't do your coursework the night before/the morning it's due...you won't get good marks!!

I wish I could be positive and say I love uni like everyone else, but honestly I think I just got a worse case scenario where I just HATE where I'm living!
Most people move in with their first year flatmates in second year, but I'd rather scratch my eyes out with super sharp needles than do that!
One of the girls is moving in with other friends, the other 4 girls are living together, and the 4 guys are living together and then there's me! I'm living with my best bud and two other guys next year, we've found a house we love and we're gonna try to get it next week, YAY!

The past 6 months or so have definitely been mega challenging!
Before uni, I've NEVER had an issue with getting on with people, I'm just mega relaxed and get on with anyone! But this year...jees, these people just don't get me! I get on with all of the guys mega well, but not to the point where I'll choose to knock on one of their doors for a chat. And the girls? Don't get me started!
Basically one girl we never see. So out of the other 4 girls, 3 are stupidly nice and amazing on their own, but put them with the 4th girl (pretty much looks down on everyone, but in a very subtle way and is therefore queen of the flat) and they just snap into bitchy, drama, fake mode.
They all get on well, always in each other's rooms and here I am, allllll byyyyy myselfffffffff! Haha.

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy my own company, but the first few months I found it so hard living here, in no way am I over-exaggerating when I say I might as well be invisible. They just don't see me!

However, I have two amazing friends on my course who I hang out with all the time, the girl commutes so i don't see her outside of uni, but the guy lives up the road from me so I often go on nights out with him and his flatmates or he comes here and chills for a few hours.

So yeah, it's been difficult, but it's easier to deal with knowing that my first exam is in a little over two months so I need to revise and then after that I can go home for summer and then come back to live with people who I actually like and they actually like me too!!!

Please don't think that just because I hate halls that you will too! Chances are you will LOVE it, but I just genuinely got unlucky haha!

If you have any questions about anything, ask away, I'm all ears and I'm gonna be checking in more often here!

Over and out!
Reply 51
SO, WE GOT A HOUSE!
Wooooo!
So excited to move out of this place!

My only problem at the moment is I'm trying to get a job in Manchester so I can move into my new house over summer and work but I've applied to so many and heard back from none! Wah :frown:

All my coursework has been done and I managed to fail 1/4 but that was due to me being stupid and leaving it until the night before, but I got 2 2:1s and a 2:2 so I'm okay with that :smile:

Currently in a crazy situation with a guy as per. Unfortunately he has a girlfriend (who goes to a different uni) but all of our coursemates think we're together! (he's never cheated on her by the way!)
So he's super confusing but I think I can deal with us just being best friends, I dunno!

I get to go home in like 3 weeks, wooooooo.
But then I come back to exams......booooooo!
Reply 52
Okay, so I've been rubbish at updating this blog, VERY SORRY!

I am now at home for summer, eagerly awaiting September to come so I can move into my new house and start second year!

So here are a few things I've learnt over the past 10 months:

- You can buy as much stuff for uni as you want, you'll never bring it all home again as it all mysteriously disappears.

- At some point in the year you will find yourself having to eat something questionable from your cupboard/fridge because you've run out of money.

- You can't guarantee that you'll be living with people you'll like in halls.

- Don't leave coursework until the night before/day of the due date (you won't do as well!)

- Also, don't procrastinate revising just so you can hang out with your boyfriend. (I am having to resit an exam and a piece of coursework because of this!!)

- Always have at least one solid friend on your course, they're invaluable when you get stuck on your work!

- If you buy all the books you're "required" to, you probably won't even touch one of them.

- No matter how often you say that you're glad you moved out, you'll still miss home.

- Doing laundry is expensive.

- It is completely normal to have all nighters on a frequent basis.

- It is also normal to stroll to the 24 hour spar at 4am to do a shop because you can't sleep.

I have had a very strange year, it's been very difficult, but out of it has come friendships, knowledge and it also meant that I met a man who I love very much!

Here's to second year! (Providing I pass my exam and coursework :wink: )

As always, I'm always open to answering questions, now I'm home I have more time to check on here regularly :smile:
Reply 53
The holidays are so boring!
Only 6 weeks until I go back to Uni, woo!

One thing I have started as a project is building up my DVD collection....
Sounds like a strange thing to do, but when my older sister got married in April and moved out (taking all of her DVDs) I realised how small my own DVD collection is! So I've been buying DVDs really cheap so I have my own collection for when I eventually move into my on house!

Yep...that's how exciting my life is...hmmm.
Reply 54
Argh, today is a big day for me: resit time!

Handed in my coursework last week but now I'm currently on a bus on my way to the doomed examination room!

Considering I only needed 4% more in that exam to pass the whole year last time and I only revised on the day, I feel much more confident that I can definitely pass it this time round!

Fortunately my closest coursemate very, very kindly sent me some of his past exam paper essays that he had marked by our tutor, so from them I've managed I write out full skeleton answers for the questions I'm doing!

Fingers crossed I do okay so I can finally start buying stuff for September, I really wanna go back!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Think my exam was decent...I think I've passed anyway (I hope!)

Congratulations to all of those who received their results today! I can't believe it's been a year since mine, I cried so much!!
Definitely my proudest moment to date!

If anyone has any questions about uni that you wanna ask, go ahead and ask them, don't hold back! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ebduff
Think my exam was decent...I think I've passed anyway (I hope!)

Congratulations to all of those who received their results today! I can't believe it's been a year since mine, I cried so much!!
Definitely my proudest moment to date!

If anyone has any questions about uni that you wanna ask, go ahead and ask them, don't hold back! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with your results. :h:

How is Manchester Met? I think I might have to apply late through clearing.
Reply 57
Original post by kayleighisonfire
Good luck with your results. :h:

How is Manchester Met? I think I might have to apply late through clearing.

Thank you!

MMU is a great uni, well, I know it is with regards to law anyway!
You're located in a fantastic city and you have 3 universities within a mile of each other so it is student central!! Great for nights out!

What are you going to be studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
So a few months ago I chose my optional module for next year. I really, really wanted to do Business Law but the course filled up immediately so I ended up choosing Human Rights Law.
However today, uni emailed me to say that I can do business, HOORAH!

That is if I get into second year mind you.....

Only 12 days until I move out again, yay!!!!

So freakin excited to go back and be with my buddies :as

I hope everyone else's uni preparation is going well, as always, feel free to ask anything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Thank you! I'm excited!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending