The Student Room Group

Attending Enrollment Day, then dropping out, do i pay?

Im in a dilemma as im not sure to go uni now as the course i chose i have no expertise in, which im sure i will struggle in as i barely understood the basic, now my student finance application is all approved, but its to go a different uni to the one i will be intending, i hear i have to fill in a 'Change of Circumstances' Form to notify them, if i enrol online my uni's website, and go to the enrollment on the day (which is a week before course starts) and decide not to go their, would i be liable to pay for Term 1?

What about the Change of Circumstances form, say i fill it in so money goes to the correct uni, and by the time it comes i no longer attend?
Reply 1
Original post by PataynaRolaay
would i be liable to pay for Term 1?

What about the Change of Circumstances form, say i fill it in so money goes to the correct uni, and by the time it comes i no longer attend?

If you get any loans from Student Finance, then you will have to pay them back.

It depends when your uni becomes aware that you won't be attending, as to how that would be treated. If you enrolled but just didn't turn up for lectures/tutorials, then it might take a while for the uni to catch on and your liability could be greater.

If you enrol and then immediately inform your uni that you won't be attending, then they can make sure that they never trigger the payment of SF in the first place, and you'll have no liability.

Basically, if any money reaches either you or any uni in the form of a loan, then you will have to repay it at some point.

If you're that sure that you don't want to go to uni, just cancel everything now. You can avoid having a debt around your neck for no reason, and also potentially using up one of your funded years, in case you ever decide to go to uni.

In answer to what appears to be your unspoken question from this and other threads that you've posted - there's no way you can get money from Student Finance, then decide not to go to uni, and keep the money.
Im in a dilemma as im not sure to go uni now as the course i chose i have no expertise in, which im sure i will struggle in as i barely understood the basic, now my student finance application is all approved, but its to go a different uni to the one i will be intending, i hear i have to fill in a 'Change of Circumstances' Form to notify them, if i enrol online my uni's website, and go to the enrollment on the day (which is a week before course starts) and decide not to go their, would i be liable to pay for Term 1?

Your finance is approved for one university, but you will actually be going to another?

If you go to your online student finance account you can change the course and University you're attending online - this is the quickest way.

The university the application is approved for won't receive any money, until you enrol there. The first tuition fee and maintenance instalment will reach you/the university about a week after enrolment. The university has to scan your notification letter to confirm your attendance. HOWEVER, some universities keep hold of them at enrolment, and confirm peoples attendances once term starts (so the first couple of days of lectures).

If you enrol at the university you actually intend on going to, they will not receive any money from student finance, nor would you. And you will be liable to pay the tuition fee's yourself.

I hope this has answered your questions.
Original post by Klix88
If you get any loans from Student Finance, then you will have to pay them back.

It depends when your uni becomes aware that you won't be attending, as to how that would be treated. If you enrolled but just didn't turn up for lectures/tutorials, then it might take a while for the uni to catch on and your liability could be greater.

If you enrol and then immediately inform your uni that you won't be attending, then they can make sure that they never trigger the payment of SF in the first place, and you'll have no liability.

Basically, if any money reaches either you or any uni in the form of a loan, then you will have to repay it at some point.

If you're that sure that you don't want to go to uni, just cancel everything now. You can avoid having a debt around your neck for no reason, and also potentially using up one of your funded years, in case you ever decide to go to uni.

In answer to what appears to be your unspoken question from this and other threads that you've posted - there's no way you can get money from Student Finance, then decide not to go to uni, and keep the money.

Im 90% sure i dont want to go uni, as i would really struggle with the course if i barely understand the basics of it right? I dont want to keep any of the money or grant, my question is say if i enrol online, and enrol on the day at the university, but then at the end of that day i decide that no this aint the course for me, i would still be liable to pay for the tuition fee of Term 1, as they would confirm my attendance to SF.

Even though my student finace isnt upto date with the correct university, is there a point in me notifying them i am going to be going to a different university, because i might be going just one day and dropping out, that would cause a lot of hassle later on, am i right

Also, how do i cancel it all? Thanks

Original post by Knalchemist
Your finance is approved for one university, but you will actually be going to another?

If you go to your online student finance account you can change the course and University you're attending online - this is the quickest way.

The university the application is approved for won't receive any money, until you enrol there. The first tuition fee and maintenance instalment will reach you/the university about a week after enrolment. The university has to scan your notification letter to confirm your attendance. HOWEVER, some universities keep hold of them at enrolment, and confirm peoples attendances once term starts (so the first couple of days of lectures).

If you enrol at the university you actually intend on going to, they will not receive any money from student finance, nor would you. And you will be liable to pay the tuition fee's yourself.

I hope this has answered your questions.

Yes i was trying to change the course online my account, but the course i applied to isnt coming up on the system, a problem which i had before when applying for it in the first place, should i even change it because i might just be attending the enrollement day and dropping out, or should i just cancel it all now and save the hassle later on, how would i go about cancelling my student finance application?

Thanks for the responses
I think you should take a couple of days to decide what you want.

If you don't want to go to university at all, then phone student finance and get them to cancel the application.

If you want to go to university, you're just worried about the course, perhaps look at a different course to study? IE a foundation course in the subject you want to learn?

Not knowing the basics is no reason to not do a degree. I am going to do Law, yet didn't do it at A Level or anything. Most degree's assume that you have no previous knowledge of the subject anyway.

University doesn't start for another 3 - 4 weeks, so take a week or so to think about things :smile: Once you have decided then we can help with the appropriate course of action for you. Don't cancel student finance altogether unless you're 100
% sure you don't want to attend this year as if you change your mind, it'll take ages to get the money.
I think you should take a couple of days to decide what you want.

If you don't want to go to university at all, then phone student finance and get them to cancel the application.

If you want to go to university, you're just worried about the course, perhaps look at a different course to study? IE a foundation course in the subject you want to learn?

Not knowing the basics is no reason to not do a degree. I am going to do Law, yet didn't do it at A Level or anything. Most degree's assume that you have no previous knowledge of the subject anyway.

University doesn't start for another 3 - 4 weeks, so take a week or so to think about things :smile: Once you have decided then we can help with the appropriate course of action for you. Don't cancel student finance altogether unless you're 100
% sure you don't want to attend this year as if you change your mind, it'll take ages to get the money.

I'm thinking of not going to university at all, I chose computer science, yet I have no interest in programming, and I'm not good at maths, this will make it really difficult for me to do, I don't like the idea of changing course because it will be done in a rush, 3-4 weeks isn't enough to decide what degree u want to do for next 3 years.. Also I don't have a clue what a foundation course is, so that's out the question
I'm thinking of not going to university at all, I chose computer science, yet I have no interest in programming, and I'm not good at maths, this will make it really difficult for me to do, I don't like the idea of changing course because it will be done in a rush, 3-4 weeks isn't enough to decide what degree u want to do for next 3 years.. Also I don't have a clue what a foundation course is, so that's out the question

A foundation course is a one year course that you do before a degree (funded by student finance) and it is the most basic elements of the degree.

By sounds of things you do not want to do that degree.

Why not take a gap year and re-apply for 2104 entry (if you want to go to university). There is no point in going to enrolment if you don't want to do the degree anymore. Phone student finance and ask them to cancel your application.
A foundation course is a one year course that you do before a degree (funded by student finance) and it is the most basic elements of the degree.

By sounds of things you do not want to do that degree.

Why not take a gap year and re-apply for 2104 entry (if you want to go to university). There is no point in going to enrolment if you don't want to do the degree anymore. Phone student finance and ask them to cancel your application.

Yes that's what I was thinking but dont know how to go about it, gap year is the one for me, how would I go about reapplying next year, would I have to apply as an individual and go through the whole process, however this time I already have grades? Please help me out on this
Yes that's what I was thinking but dont know how to go about it, gap year is the one for me, how would I go about reapplying next year, would I have to apply as an individual and go through the whole process, however this time I already have grades? Please help me out on this

You apply through UCAS still, it will be one of the first pages on the application that you click to apply as an individual.

You will need to find someone who can give you a reference, you could ask your old college tutor or something. If they agree, you have to give UCAS their email address (it is in the application, you don't have to send it separately), and then UCAS will get in touch with them to write the reference for you.

The good thing is that you will get unconditional offers, rather than conditional, which means you can get finance and everything sorted in good time.

You need to make sure you make the most of your gap year with volunteering or work or work experience or something, as it'll strengthen your application. Otherwise doing absolutely nothing on your gap year looks bad to potential universities.

Phone student finance and tell them you won't be going University this year, so can you cancel your application. Make sure you keep checking your online account for when it's cancelled too, as otherwise you'll run in to problems next year.
You apply through UCAS still, it will be one of the first pages on the application that you click to apply as an individual.

You will need to find someone who can give you a reference, you could ask your old college tutor or something. If they agree, you have to give UCAS their email address (it is in the application, you don't have to send it separately), and then UCAS will get in touch with them to write the reference for you.

The good thing is that you will get unconditional offers, rather than conditional, which means you can get finance and everything sorted in good time.

You need to make sure you make the most of your gap year with volunteering or work or work experience or something, as it'll strengthen your application. Otherwise doing absolutely nothing on your gap year looks bad to potential universities.

Phone student finance and tell them you won't be going University this year, so can you cancel your application. Make sure you keep checking your online account for when it's cancelled too, as otherwise you'll run in to problems next year.

That process seems quite easy, thanks a lot for that, however I hear that universities teach you the course from basic, but as I'm down for computer science and I have no programming skills or maths skills, then I'd definitely struggle without doubt am I right?
(edited 10 years ago)
That process seems quite easy, thanks a lot for that, however I hear that universities teach you the course from basic, but as I'm down for computer science and I have no programming skills or maths skills, then I'd definitely struggle without doubt am I right?

I don't believe so. They wouldn't have let you on the course if they didn't think you could do it. But that is why some people choose to do a foundation year, as it is in between A Level and year 1 of a degree, a bit more of a better transition for some.
I'm 50-50 about university now, I just need to know what the course is about, and what kind of stuff it covers, i am bright in IT, Got Distinction Star recently in BTec IT, it's just I have no idea what computer science is and if its for me that's all otherwise I would go and do it, I do want to go uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending