The Student Room Group

Can you ride a motorcycle with a suit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ok guys thanks for the advice :smile: Think I'm gonna wear the full kit over a shirt and smart trousers and I'm gonna pack away my tie and jacket - I reckon the trousers and shirt are thin enough to wear like a textile gear over it
Original post by Alleykat606
Ok guys thanks for the advice :smile: Think I'm gonna wear the full kit over a shirt and smart trousers and I'm gonna pack away my tie and jacket - I reckon the trousers and shirt are thin enough to wear like a textile gear over it

If the trousers you need to eat are pain Black trousers then you can buy reinforced Kevlar versions of these trousers. Or biker jeans which look better but you'd then have to change when you get there.

I'd go for biker jeans over textiles though for small journeys.

Biker jeans, leather jacket. Gloves. Helmet.

If you don't want to walk around all day in motorbike boots then hiking boots will offer some able protection and are more comfortable to walk around in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by rattusratus
after visiting a bike rally this weekend and seeing a photo of a women whose lower leg was ripped clean off then I would say wear correct clothing
Have we upgraded to plate armour to prevent such an injury or would the results have been the same if she was wearing normal protective trousers?

Some cyclists go quite fast on their bikes and only have lycra and a little helmet so i would say if he's only going around 30 mph on town roads he could get away with a suit and proper gloves on a scooter.
Reply 23
The only legal requirement is the helmet, but unless you wouldn't be too fussed about dying, I'd strongly suggest you wear leathers/kevlar. :h:
Original post by Coffinman
Have we upgraded to plate armour to prevent such an injury or would the results have been the same if she was wearing normal protective trousers?

Some cyclists go quite fast on their bikes and only have lycra and a little helmet so i would say if he's only going around 30 mph on town roads he could get away with a suit and proper gloves on a scooter.

yes actually, my brother sells custom bikes and rides them his suit has amour plates in it, he has had multiple suits like this since he started riding quads as a child and one saved his life when a motorist opened there door without looking and took him and his bike out (flipping him over the bike and into oncoming traffic) and that was on a 125cc so not a massively fast bike
Reply 25
Original post by rattusratus
after visiting a bike rally this weekend and seeing a photo of a women whose lower leg was ripped clean off then I would say wear correct clothing
)

Which is a bad example, because bike gear is pretty crappy at best.

A sandwich will offer more protection than most bike armours. Hard armour can exacerbate injuries as some types shatter and like a shotgun get 100s of splinters pushed into the skin and bone.

I sometimes wear my gear I sometimes don't. For instance when it is hot, as cooking in the heat can make you lose concentration. FYI I am an ex dispatch rider. The only major crash I had was when I was wearing a full leather suit. I felt invincible and took a bigger risk.
I've got 900,000+ miles under my belt. I've travelled the world on bike three times.

Secondly for city riding textiles are the preferred option why?

Leather sublimes when heat is applied, it liquidities as a sacrificial layer. This means that if you crash you SLIDE.

With textile such a codura it grips the road causing you to roll. This is why a leather bottom and textile top combo is not recommended as you will twist.

Wearing leather if you low side or highside, or get shunted you will slide. Frank lost it on a greasy left hand corner. He slid under a lorry and died. Jase lost it on a right hander and slid into a wall and died.

Textiles grip slowing you down in a shorter distance and time.

Similarly open face helmets are safer than full face, even though there is a chin bar. Why? Because of reduced visibility of a full face as well the head turning effect. You have to turn your head further to see blind spots meaning checks take a fraction of a second longer.
(by suit I mean blazer, tie, smart trousers etc.)

Basically I live the perfect distance from school for driving (or riding a motorcycle) and it's cheaper to do so than catch the bus (even with a student fare card). I was just wondering, because for sixth for we have to wear suits, if anyone has any experience with riding a motorcycle in a suit? Would you wear full motorcycle gear over it or everything but trousers or any other combination?

If your in school then you aint old enough to ride a motorcycle legally. You can ride one illegally tho. You do want decent leathers and a tidy helmet not just for crash protection but to keep you dry and warm. In fact you will want a separate wetsuit to go over your leathers if its raining. If its cold your fingertips WILL suffer and I dont suggest heated grips coz even the good ones are, in my experience, unreliable. Bar muffs are great as they protect against both the cold wind chill and keep your hands dry. They look pigs arse ugly tho. A Honda CBF 125 is about the cheapest new bike on the market.
Reply 27
Original post by Laomedeia
If your in school then you aint old enough to ride a motorcycle legally. You can ride one illegally tho. You do want decent leathers and a tidy helmet not just for crash protection but to keep you dry and warm. In fact you will want a separate wetsuit to go over your leathers if its raining. If its cold your fingertips WILL suffer and I dont suggest heated grips coz even the good ones are, in my experience, unreliable. Bar muffs are great as they protect against both the cold wind chill and keep your hands dry. They look pigs arse ugly tho. A Honda CBF 125 is about the cheapest new bike on the market.

What.... I'm 17 :congrats:
What.... I'm 17 :congrats:

From your OP: "Basically I live the perfect distance from school for driving".

This strongly implies that your still in school and therefore 16* or younger. Im not gonna judge you for being stupid if you were held back a year tho, im not like that.

*You leave school at 16 in the UK. Maybe different in other countries.
Reply 29

This strongly implies that your still in school and therefore 16* or younger. Im not gonna judge you for being stupid if you were held back a year tho, im not like that.

This may be hard for you to hear, but some of us stay until we're 18 because of these things we have to do called A levels. Fascinating, isn't it?
Original post by Justpin
Which is a bad example, because bike gear is pretty crappy at best.

A sandwich will offer more protection than most bike armours. Hard armour can exacerbate injuries as some types shatter and like a shotgun get 100s of splinters pushed into the skin and bone.

I sometimes wear my gear I sometimes don't. For instance when it is hot, as cooking in the heat can make you lose concentration. FYI I am an ex dispatch rider. The only major crash I had was when I was wearing a full leather suit. I felt invincible and took a bigger risk.
I've got 900,000+ miles under my belt. I've travelled the world on bike three times.

Secondly for city riding textiles are the preferred option why?

Leather sublimes when heat is applied, it liquidities as a sacrificial layer. This means that if you crash you SLIDE.

With textile such a codura it grips the road causing you to roll. This is why a leather bottom and textile top combo is not recommended as you will twist.

Wearing leather if you low side or highside, or get shunted you will slide. Frank lost it on a greasy left hand corner. He slid under a lorry and died. Jase lost it on a right hander and slid into a wall and died.

Textiles grip slowing you down in a shorter distance and time.

Similarly open face helmets are safer than full face, even though there is a chin bar. Why? Because of reduced visibility of a full face as well the head turning effect. You have to turn your head further to see blind spots meaning checks take a fraction of a second longer.

when did I mention leather :confused:
Reply 31
Please wear leathers/protective gear. Saw the state of a friend's leg after he came off at 40 in jeans. He was lucky no breaks but shredded skin very painful!
(edited 10 years ago)
This may be hard for you to hear, but some of us stay until we're 18 because of these things we have to do called A levels. Fascinating, isn't it?

First time I heard of it. Always thought you had to go to college or somethin to get those. So what bike would you like to have in the future? Suzukis Hayabusa and BMWs S1000rr are very popular ones atm. If you do geta busa tho, get one of the early models as from 2001 they were restricted to 186mph
Reply 33
First time I heard of it. Always thought you had to go to college or somethin to get those. So what bike would you like to have in the future? Suzukis Hayabusa and BMWs S1000rr are very popular ones atm. If you do geta busa tho, get one of the early models as from 2001 they were restricted to 186mph

Normal sixth form schools run A levels too (along with colleges).

Not sure if I want to dive straight into a litre bike (let alone the busa :tongue:) - probably go with a 600 first after my 125 (like a Honda CBR or Kawasaki). Definitely want to head into the supersport direction (anything you'd recommend?). But yeah eventually I might want a busa or zx-14r something like that.

PS thanks for that point about restricted busas (I never actually knew that!)
(edited 10 years ago)

I stayed in school til 18. I thought that's what people do if they want to do A levels :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending