The Student Room Group

How to get cheaper motorcycles insurance in London? Quoted 2.8k a year...

How do you get cheaper motorcycle insurance in London?? This question seems rhetorical at this point but really, how? I'm 19 about to finish my A2 licence and have been looking for bikes more so old bikes from 400s to 650s and the insurance quotes I'm getting is at 2.8k upwards. Haven't been looking for expensive/new motorcycles mainly been looking at sv650s, Cb400 sf's, er-6's, other bikes with a price range of under 2k and I still get quoted almost triple the price. I'm a fairly new rider with 1 years ncb but even that hardly puts a dent in the prices? Any ideas? Thinking I just have to move out of London atp. Edit: I don't live in a high risk area.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Insurance is not a product of how expensive the bike is you are riding. It is a product of the damage and compensation claimed by others when you statistically cause an accident and your insurance has to pay out. Therefore, the smaller the engine, the cheaper the insurance. So forget your 400s and your 650s and stick with your 50cc jobbies. It is just to get around I imagine? Or as the old saying goes... on your bike son, until you get a bit older and are statistically less likely to cause morning rush hour chaos.

Good luck!
Reply 2
get a ,moped
Reply 3
If you're in London just stick to a 125 until you're older or move out, or both
Reply 4
Original post by hotpud
Insurance is not a product of how expensive the bike is you are riding. It is a product of the damage and compensation claimed by others when you statistically cause an accident and your insurance has to pay out. Therefore, the smaller the engine, the cheaper the insurance. So forget your 400s and your 650s and stick with your 50cc jobbies. It is just to get around I imagine? Or as the old saying goes... on your bike son, until you get a bit older and are statistically less likely to cause morning rush hour chaos.

Good luck!

I travel out of London often to areas such as Essex and Brighton/surrey where there's no transportation for where I need to go. Starting to think I'm killing my little r125 by hearing it readline for an hour on. But I get what you're saying. Probrably shouldn't of started doing my A2 then but oh well. Cheers for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending