The Student Room Group

Is this a common problem with universities in the city/ metropolitan areas ?

At universities in main cities (Newcastle,UCL) do many of the students spend their time outside the university compound ?

I only find this to be a problem because I don't want it to be a case of me staying in the university compound, whilst everybody is spread all over Newcastle or London for instance. If this is the case it would kill the atmosphere on campus
In London, it can be a problem - the sheer price of rents mean that students find themselves scattered across the city once they move out of halls.

However, in other large cities (inc Newcastle), you tend to find that once students move out of halls they all live in the same suburbs eg Jesmond in Newcastle, Clifton / Cotham / Redland in Bristol, Headingley in Leeds, Fallowfield / Rusholme / Withington in Manchester, which gives a nice 'student village' effect. In some ways, these suburbs become an extension of the university itself. Whilst it might not be owned by the university, it's relatively close to the campus, everyone lives near each other, the local businesses are all set up to cater for students, and in some places most residents are students (I'm aware of streets in Manchester that are genuinely 90% student).

You'll find that people always leave the uni campus for some things though, and you will too. For instance, the bigger clubs will be off campus, as well as the shopping district.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
In London, it can be a problem - the sheer price of rents mean that students find themselves scattered across the city once they move out of halls.

However, in other large cities (inc Newcastle), you tend to find that once students move out of halls they all live in the same suburbs eg Jesmond in Newcastle, Clifton / Cotham / Redland in Bristol, Headingley in Leeds, Fallowfield / Rusholme / Withington in Manchester, which gives a nice 'student village' effect. In some ways, these suburbs become an extension of the university itself. Whilst it might not be owned by the university, it's relatively close to the campus, everyone lives near each other, the local businesses are all set up to cater for students, and in some places most residents are students (I'm aware of streets in Manchester that are genuinely 90% student).

You'll find that people always leave the uni campus for some things though, and you will too. For instance, the bigger clubs will be off campus, as well as the shopping district.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

Any tips on Reading uni ?
In somewhere like Reading, you will probably find most of the students live in certain areas near the university in second year/third year. You'll find where those places are, because other students will tell you and they'll be the places with the most shared houses available.

People will obviously leave campus, to go clubbing, to go shopping and to do activities, university campus' tend to be pretty compact in most cities (or else they have buildings spread across an area of the city). You wouldn't spend three years in an area that's say 500m from end to end. People do hang out on campus a bit, some will eat in the cafes for lunch for example, but if you are close to the city centre, you'll find most people will go there as there's more choice.

They won't be spread all over the city, but they certainly won't confine their lives to campus, and you shouldn't either- it'll make for a pretty boring three years. If you really want an experience where most people stay on the campus the majority of the time, you need a university like Keele, where there is very little to do nearby off campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending