The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Do what you want to do because that will ultimately make you happy in the long term. I've met plenty of people who are crazy bad at maths but are high flying engineers in the disciplines of mechanical, electrical, structural, civil etc
YOU have nothing to prove to ANYONE other than YOURSELF! And the way you can do that is to keep working hard and doing it with willpower and perseverance; with just those 3 things, I'm telling you - the sky is your limit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
You are not that bad at maths!

I have retaken gcse maths 3 times and got a d every single time! :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by Willbean
I don't understand how people do it, I would like to do physics due to an interest yet I'm **** at maths, my GCSE in maths is diabolical. I'm doing engineering as well which requires maths! Every forum I sign up to, I get discouraged and made to feel like an idiot.

I want to follow a career in science yet maths and science go together, I feel like a spaz.

I was always so weirdo at school, I even had to have a brain scan and hearing tests because I day dreamed too much and apparently not responding.

Not only that, I have some intense rivalry with my cousin, and if I failed, he would know and laugh. His family has always succeeded whereas my family fails. My dad isn't intelligent and my mum is from some 3rd world country slum!

How do you all keep succeeding in life here people? I actually don't see life worth living if I'm going to work in some menial labour job like a press operator it isn't pretty! No, I'm not suicidal but logically, if my future is going to be stuck in a dead end job doing the same stupid **** over and over again? This is my worst fear, being a mong!

No matter what I do, two steps forward, one step back and then a **** load of bad news.

Maybe the teaching style is inappropriate for you, maybe you're IQ is limited, who knows? Take an official IQ test, not the cheap ones online, get some official Iq tests and see whehter your score is average.
Reply 24
Original post by Futility
Sorry to break it to you but it kinda does.

You know what context I meant it in lol
How "bad" are we talking about here? You don't have to be a maths whiz to be an engineer, but you do need to be quite numerical.
Reply 26
The truth is, Maths isn't that bad. The good thing about maths is that when you get the hang of a new concept, it is relatively easy to apply it to different situations. Just make sure you do a ton of practice.

Past papers will literally become your best friend. It's not just about doing the past papers as well, every time I finish a past paper, I write a list of all the topics that came out in the questions and I write the number of marks I lost for each question. Then I write some sort of comment about the questions I lost marks on, eg. "Revise Trigonometry" or "Make sure you give your answer in surd form (if the answer asks for exact values) rather than decimals" because little things like these do make you lose marks. This really helps me to consolidate my knowledge and I find that I don't make the same mistake twice.

Also, whenever you need help, ask somebody. If you don't understand something, ask. Don't ask for the answer, let them give you clues but try to understand why you're doing certain steps.

This is coming from somebody that got a D in January (no revision) and got 95UMS in June. (4 marks off full marks)

Good luck
Reply 27
THIS IS ME, THIS IS EXACTLY ME!
I'm preparing for a physics interview tomorrow and I'm pretty much having a panic attack about the same thing! :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by lilleylolly
you are not dumb. my mum always told me (because i was actually soooo bad at maths) try and find something else your good at because not everyone is absolutely amazing at maths. believe me i am soooooooooooo bad at maths i just don't understand any of it. and you said your parents were bad at math so that's probably why you aren't very good at it. that's why i'm bad at it my mum was really not good at maths but she was an amazing artist. so don't feel so down there's always going to be people in the world who are just amazing at everything. but why not try to find something you are good at there's got to be at least one

hope this helped p.s don't feel sad and down (maths doesn't run the world ) xxx

thx soo much whoever ya are - it did help!! - heaps...
i am - ridonkulously stupid at maths, and science for that matter...i jus can't do hardly any of the stuff the rest of my class can...
no! - maths certainly does not run the world!! - i'd be a dead dog if it did!!! - wud you?!?
God runs the world and that's how we all somehow keep going... and how we don't collapse in a heap on the floor in maths lessons!!! thx again! :smile:
Let me tell you now, you are definitely not alone I am bad at maths and it gives me a migraine just thinking about revising the subject it's so hard to find help these days sometimes I just feel like giving up but I revise everyday (RIGHT NOW I'M REVISING) and my revising actually comes to good use because sometimes the things I learn at home come up in class!~~TIPS~~1) Get a notebook to write down notes in class that you can revise at home like: the actual work and the title, to search it up when you need help.2) Go to Math Antics on YouTube he has great work and help just check out the videos, he also has a website with help for $20/£20 (the videos are also there!) Get a tutor if your really struggling, the website 'tutor doctor' does it for free!
I know exactly how you feel. My twin sister is the most intelligent person you will ever meet and got offered to do her maths GCSE early. Whereas I can beardy add two and two! My brain just doesn't get numbers they all jump about and look backwards and i can't retain anything i am taught. I constantly feel stupid and panic when i have to anything involving the tiniest bit of maths, even shopping is hard for me.
I have the math equivelent of a 4th grader I use khan academy and I like to gain the points and badges I got down rro ap calculus ab and decided to start a new because why am I so bad at calculating sums into fractions, decimals, cube roots why am I so bad at it? I can`t calculate a cube root into a square root and yet I can calculate a square root into a cube root. but I want to learn partical, auantum physics and how can I do it if im start a new in collecting points and badges on khan academy, I also use cosmolearn free pdf boojs and youtube,

Latest