The Student Room Group

Dental school interview

Hey every one
can any one guide me about the factor important for dental school for calling for interview ?
last year I finished my AS level with A in math one grade below the A in chemistry and one grade below the B in biology and B in physic
i dropped my physics this year
and my teacher predicted me AAA*
Is any one know is it possible that leed , liverpool , birmengham and queen mary dentak school calling me for interview or not?
i am really worry about it
Reply 1
So you got ABCB..
How many weeks of Work exp did you do?
What was your UKCAT?
No one will know if you will get an interview. But I will say that your grades aren't good enough for Dentistry..
Reply 2
ABCB at AS are not great and I also think they aren't good enough for dentistry.
That said, Liverpool and I think Sheffield don't look at AS grades and only look at predicted grades. So I think you should look into the dental schools who will only look at your predictions. Look at the websites of the unis you've listed and if it doesn't say, phone or email them.
Reply 3
Original post by bumbakrak
So you got ABCB..
How many weeks of Work exp did you do?
What was your UKCAT?
No one will know if you will get an interview. But I will say that your grades aren't good enough for Dentistry..

Hey
I had one week in dental practical and 3 week in dental lab and one months in care home
my UKCAT was medium but only Queen mary want UKCAT and rest of them don't!!
I know my grade wasn,t very good! but my Chem and Bio are only 2 and 1 mark below A and B
I will be also do an other laungage A-level this year!
I sent my application last friday !
the only thing i can do is prayer the god to help me:redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Lanfan
ABCB at AS are not great and I also think they aren't good enough for dentistry.
That said, Liverpool and I think Sheffield don't look at AS grades and only look at predicted grades. So I think you should look into the dental schools who will only look at your predictions. Look at the websites of the unis you've listed and if it doesn't say, phone or email them.

thank you for your guide
but it is late
I heared LEED looking to work expeience person had more than grade!
I feel confused:confused::confused::confused:
Reply 5
Queen Mary also ranks applicants according to both UCAS Tariff and UKCAT. the minimum is around 460 points. so an average UKCAT can be compensated by a gd UCAS tariff
Not sure abt birmingham but they also take GCSE into account too when ranking applicants.
Leeds focus more on non academics i think so if your ps is really gd with a large variety of work exp and long term volunteering it shud be fine.
I heard that liverpool also looks at GCSE quite a lot too and pbl personal statement, but again I'm not too sure abt liverpool.
Reply 6
With effectively ABC at AS (since you dropped physics) I don't think you will get an interview sorry. :frown:

But you should try anyway.

If you manage to get A*AA at A-level, take a gap year and re-apply with A2 grades in-hand you should get a place anyway. :smile:

Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by koyyj127
Queen Mary also ranks applicants according to both UCAS Tariff and UKCAT. the minimum is around 460 points. so an average UKCAT can be compensated by a good UCAS tariff
Not sure about Birmingham but they also take GCSE into account too when ranking applicants.
Leeds focus more on non academics i think so if your ps is really gd with a large variety of work exp and long term volunteering it shoud be fine.
I heard that Liverpool also looks at GCSE quite a lot too and pbl personal statement, but again I'm not too sure abt liverpool.

Hey dear . thanks for your attention:smile:
in fact i had 7 A* in my GCSE also my average was A*.
also j had very strong personal statement and lots of work experience
because English is my third language as result my UKCAT result was 2200
i think it was medium ,
do you how long take normally to know about the university decision ?
Reply 8
Original post by Scott.M
With effectively ABC at AS (since you dropped physics) I don't think you will get an interview sorry. :frown:

But you should try anyway.

If you manage to get A*AA at A-level, take a gap year and re-apply with A2 grades in-hand you should get a place anyway. :smile:

Best of luck. :smile:

thanks alot dear Scott
but still i will be have 4 A2 and 5 As , do you think predicting me to AAAA* won't have any effect on there decision?
Reply 9
Original post by sana1994
Hey dear . thanks for your attention:smile:
in fact i had 7 A* in my GCSE also my average was A*.
also j had very strong personal statement and lots of work experience
because English is my third language as result my UKCAT result was 2200
i think it was medium ,
do you how long take normally to know about the university decision ?

idk about liverpool,leeds, birmingham, pretty much depends on the quality and quantity of applicants tbh. You need a lot of ECAs for leeds though. Queen mary is unlikely to interview you because they have a cut off score of 600 for ukcat. (And the average score for UKCAT this year is 660:/)

I guess you can use this thread as a reference about the replies:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2143823
Reply 10
Original post by sana1994
thanks alot dear Scott
but still i will be have 4 A2 and 5 As , do you think predicting me to AAAA* won't have any effect on there decision?

Dental schools don't seem to look at predicted grades - they look at actual grades.

Someone I know got rejected for getting AAB at AS, even though his B was 1 UMS off an A!

Quick Reply

Latest