The Student Room Group

Current Student Nurse Chat

Hello TSR!

When I was a prospective nursing student, I noticed a chat thread for student nurses. I can't seem to find it, so I thought I would make a new one! I think it could be a good way to share experiences (without breaking patient confidentiality of course), support each other and talk to like-minded people.

I'll start by introducing myself: My name is Alice and in September I began paediatric nursing at KCL. It's been hectic but great so far, and my first placement commences on November 4th, in Neurology and Metabolic Disorders. I've visited the ward and it has a lovely atmosphere and my mentor is lovely, but I am apprehensive about the complex patients and perhaps sad situations I may be facing. Nevertheless I cannot wait to finally get into placement! So how is everyone else doing? Where are you studying? What are your hopes and fears about the course? I hope we can make this a supportive and chatty thread!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hey! In Grace, I'm also a children's nurse, I started in September at Nottingham and go on placement in January. il be on children's surgical wards :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by graceey_bear
hey! In Grace, I'm also a children's nurse, I started in September at Nottingham and go on placement in January. il be on children's surgical wards :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello Grace, lovely to meet a fellow children's nurse! Sounds exciting! How are you finding Nottingham? I think surgical is a great place to start, because it's very general and you will see a variety of things.
Original post by Alice_95
Hello Grace, lovely to meet a fellow children's nurse! Sounds exciting! How are you finding Nottingham? I think surgical is a great place to start, because it's very general and you will see a variety of things.

it's brilliant thanks! my lecturers are so good! :smile: love clinical!! we've been playing on the sim dolls! our first year is mostly theory so that we do lots of clinical in yr 2 &3, the boring bits gone first :tongue: have you signs up to your union yet? I went with RCN :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
2nd year of Adult Nursing at Surrey. Am loving my current placement on ITU because it's 1 to 1 nursing so you have the opportunity to learn a lot and its my longest placement this year at 11 weeks. When you start a new placement always demonstrate you're enthusiastic by asking questions etc otherwise mentors may not bother trying to teach you.
Original post by Katiej3970
Hey everyone, i'm asking this question on behalf of my friend who has just sent her ucas off to study Adult Nursing. When do placements start? Is it in the first or second year?

Thanks

Both; you get placements every year it counts for half your grade each year at my Uni.
Original post by KingGoonIan
2nd year of Adult Nursing at Surrey. Am loving my current placement on ITU because it's 1 to 1 nursing so you have the opportunity to learn a lot and its my longest placement this year at 11 weeks. When you start a new placement always demonstrate you're enthusiastic by asking questions etc otherwise mentors may not bother trying to teach you.

Hello.

1st year of adult nursing, starting placement in Jan - Can't wait! How are you finding hours, is there a certain amount of hours per week you need to do etc..
Reply 7
Both; you get placements every year it counts for half your grade each year at my Uni.

Thank you for your reply :smile:
Reply 8
it's brilliant thanks! my lecturers are so good! :smile: love clinical!! we've been playing on the sim dolls! our first year is mostly theory so that we do lots of clinical in yr 2 &3, the boring bits gone first :tongue: have you signs up to your union yet? I went with RCN :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's great!! Ah ok, I like the simulation stuff too. I signed up the the RCN too :biggrin:
Reply 9

Hello, nice to meet you. That sounds wonderful, all the best with the placement :smile: Thank you for the advice!
Ah that's great!! Ah ok, I like the simulation stuff too. I signed up the the RCN too :biggrin:

it's all been very go go go! lectures started at 9am throughout freshers etc, :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
it's all been very go go go! lectures started at 9am throughout freshers etc, :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yes same!!! I was meant to have a lecture this morning but it was cancelled due to the weather.
Oh yes same!!! I was meant to have a lecture this morning but it was cancelled due to the weather.

I'm in 9-5 today, it's a killer walking in the rain & wind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm in 9-5 today, it's a killer walking in the rain & wind!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gosh of course! I'll be popping in later for my ward badge and placement folder, and doing some skill practice. All the best on a wet and windy day :biggrin:
Gosh of course! I'll be popping in later for my ward badge and placement folder, and doing some skill practice. All the best on a wet and windy day :biggrin:

I've got my badge it's hideous haha, and ooh tell me about it! I don't think many people realise how full in the course actually is!x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ITU is fabolous, all sorts of machines and 1-1 care!
I'm a healthcare assistant at ITU :biggrin: but I work bank shifts now.
Reply 16
I've got my badge it's hideous haha, and ooh tell me about it! I don't think many people realise how full in the course actually is!x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha oh no! All my lectures have been cancelled and my placement item collection because of this silly wind. Aha I agree x
Haha oh no! All my lectures have been cancelled and my placement item collection because of this silly wind. Aha I agree x

my nursing shoes are hideous 😳 they make me wana cry when I look at them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol am wearing the whitest nike trainers you have ever seen at the moment for placement.
Reply 19
my nursing shoes are hideous ������ they make me wana cry when I look at them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww no! I suppose I've got used to mine now :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending