The Student Room Group

Got a job on the tills at Asda. Really worried :(

Hey everyone,

I've got a weekend job at Asda where I'll just be on the tills, but this is my first job. I'm really worried about it, what if I mess up?! Are they easy to learn to use? I'm not stupid or anything, but I have anxiety so I just get really worried over things haha. I will probably be loosing sleep tonight over it :/

What's it like on the tills at Asda? What's the training like? I have the welcome day tomorrow and Thursday, and have my first proper shift Saturday 12pm-8.30pm.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I imagine they'll train you properly since afterall they want to give good customer service. It's just a till though, it's not rocket science :tongue: if you can use a PC, you can use a till.
Reply 2
Original post by Patched
Hey everyone,

I've got a weekend job at Asda where I'll just be on the tills, but this is my first job. I'm really worried about it, what if I mess up?! Are they easy to learn to use? I'm not stupid or anything, but I have anxiety so I just get really worried over things haha. I will probably be loosing sleep tonight over it :/

What's it like on the tills at Asda? What's the training like? I have the welcome day tomorrow and Thursday, and have my first proper shift Saturday 12pm-8.30pm.

I've never worked on a till in Asda but I wouldn't expect them to be difficult to use haha, you don't need to be a genius to use one. Don't worry about it, they wouldn't have given you the job if it was too difficult for you to manage. You'll be shown how to do everything you need to.
Reply 3
Hey! My first job was in George, so working on the tills there, and so my training was the same as asda staff but more clothes based! aha I loved it. I people were so friendly, and with the training you work through lots of videos and lots of 'quizzes' which are really easy, they are like 'oh if you don't pass this quiz you might not be able to work here' but they're easy!

The people you serve are lovely, just be relaxed and friendly and try to read them, if they're chatty, talk back! Obviously ask them if they have had a good day, and is there anything else you can help them with. Don't be embarrassed or anxious, all of the staff are lovely and are there to help you!

Good luck!
When I had till training at Waitrose- I was practically left to do it on the job, its the only way to learn to be honest.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Original post by james1211
I imagine they'll train you properly since afterall they want to give good customer service. It's just a till though, it's not rocket science :tongue: if you can use a PC, you can use a till.

Ergh you're right. I just worry about it. I don't wannt to mess up all the time as I'd just feel like walking out and crying haha :/

Original post by yepyepyep
I've never worked on a till in Asda but I wouldn't expect them to be difficult to use haha, you don't need to be a genius to use one. Don't worry about it, they wouldn't have given you the job if it was too difficult for you to manage. You'll be shown how to do everything you need to.

I know many people who work on tills and seem to be fine, so yeah I think they're pretty easy. Idk why I'm worrying so much?! :frown:

Original post by earthtome
Hey! My first job was in George, so working on the tills there, and so my training was the same as asda staff but more clothes based! aha I loved it. I people were so friendly, and with the training you work through lots of videos and lots of 'quizzes' which are really easy, they are like 'oh if you don't pass this quiz you might not be able to work here' but they're easy!

The people you serve are lovely, just be relaxed and friendly and try to read them, if they're chatty, talk back! Obviously ask them if they have had a good day, and is there anything else you can help them with. Don't be embarrassed or anxious, all of the staff are lovely and are there to help you!

Good luck!

What sort of things were you asked in the quizzes?

All the people I met on the day that worked there seemed really helpful, friendly and well trained, so I'm assuming most people who work there are like that! I'm quite shy, hence me going on the tills, but obviously I didn't seem it otherwise they probably wouldn't have given me the job haha.

I just hope I don't mess up and people get frustrated with me :frown: I think I'm mostly worried about it because this is my first job, even though I've done my A-Levels etc which are probably harder than working a till, but yeah lol.
Reply 6
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
When I had till training at Waitrose- I was practically left to do it on the job, its the only way to learn to be honest.

Oh great I hope this doesn't happen. One of my colleagues said that they just throw you straight into it :/

Did you get enough support though if something went wrong?
They'll teach you everything you need to know and if you have any questions, then just ask them. It's normal to have nerves on the first day of anything. Don't worry about it, seriously.
Original post by Patched
Oh great I hope this doesn't happen. One of my colleagues said that they just throw you straight into it :/

Did you get enough support though if something went wrong?

Yeah I did, if I was really struggling I told the customer I'm new etc they were understanding. Just relax, literally and be at ease. Tills are efficient work, so you need to comfortably concentrate and smile :smile:
Original post by Patched
Hey everyone,

Hey!

I started on checkouts at Asda at the beginning of September. Honestly, it does seem daunting at first, and it does take a while for you to learn the till in a way that makes you at a relatively fast speed. They do give very good training though, and you're buddied up with someone so that if you have any questions half way through a transaction you can just ask them. Now, the hardest thing I find about the job is opening plastic bags to give to customers. :tongue: But just remember to be friendly and happy and you'll soon pick it up.

Hope this helped. :h:
Reply 10
Original post by Patched
Thanks for the replies everyone!

What sort of things were you asked in the quizzes?

All the people I met on the day that worked there seemed really helpful, friendly and well trained, so I'm assuming most people who work there are like that! I'm quite shy, hence me going on the tills, but obviously I didn't seem it otherwise they probably wouldn't have given me the job haha.

I just hope I don't mess up and people get frustrated with me :frown: I think I'm mostly worried about it because this is my first job, even though I've done my A-Levels etc which are probably harder than working a till, but yeah lol.

The quizzes were basically about health and safety etc, so we watched a video, and then were asked questions like 'what kind of ladder do you use in the store room, who can operate a fork lift etc' nothing tricky!

And yes, everyone is friendly and you will do great, you must be what they need or else you wouldn't have got the job! But I know what you mean, The tills at the front are very modern, the tills I had, were the old ones, which didn't have a screen (http://www.cashregistergroup.com/acatalog/sharp_XEA102_large.jpg) compared to the ones at the front which seem easier, but on my first day I had the manager write me a set of instructions on the back of some till roll, and no one seemed to mind me carrying that around with me! It made me laugh, sure i can manage 6 subjects with the IB, but can't remember for the life of me how to do a return! But everyone is really accommodating, you will love it!
Original post by yepyepyep

Yeah... just look at some of the people who operate them. Dead as a doornail.
Original post by Runninground

Yeah... just look at some of the people who operate them. Dead as a doornail.

I didn't want to say it.:wink: Haha.
It's going to be horrible. You'll take ages which will just piss off the customers who will complain to your supervisor, then the supervisor will be all over you constantly putting more pressure on you. Then you'll fail a mystery shopper test so you'll have to face disciplinary action. It will cause you to dread going to work.
You don't even have to work out the change, it tells you and all you have to do is count the money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee

Same. Although was with John Lewis they pretty much dump you on the tills for the first few weeks without till training
Reply 16
Thanks for the replies everyone.

First day went well. Haven't even sat on a till yet though! It's one of the old fashioned types.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Hey!

I started on checkouts at Asda at the beginning of September. Honestly, it does seem daunting at first, and it does take a while for you to learn the till in a way that makes you at a relatively fast speed. They do give very good training though, and you're buddied up with someone so that if you have any questions half way through a transaction you can just ask them. Now, the hardest thing I find about the job is opening plastic bags to give to customers. :tongue: But just remember to be friendly and happy and you'll soon pick it up.

Hope this helped. :h:

As a customer of asda and supermarkets, I always struggle to open up plastic bags. Is there a trick to it, do they give you tips on how to open it? Your advice is also very good. :smile:
Original post by Kutie Karen
As a customer of asda and supermarkets, I always struggle to open up plastic bags. Is there a trick to it, do they give you tips on how to open it? Your advice is also very good. :smile:

What I usually do is pull downwards on the top of the pile with my four fingertips. Usually, that will pull the bag off already open and so it's so much easier. It is definitely a skill you have to master though.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
What I usually do is pull downwards on the top of the pile with my four fingertips. Usually, that will pull the bag off already open and so it's so much easier. It is definitely a skill you have to master though.

Cheers. Will definitely try that out. Hope I don't hold up the queues:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending