The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

-x-buttercup-x-
We currently have one 20 year old dude whos going out with a 15 year old, it's just sick

Why? Is she unhappy? Is he forcing her into something she doesn't want. Assuming nothing illegal is happening.
Fluent in Lies
Why? Is she unhappy? Is he forcing her into something she doesn't want. Assuming nothing illegal is happening.

Sleeping with someone under the age of 16 is illegal.

I don't think it helps that she's so tiny and looks even younger!
Yes thanks. I did know that.

I wasn't sure 'going out' necessitated sexual intercourse, but in any case I did specify assuming that this was not the case.
Do you want a donut or soemthing? :donut:
Reply 44
Anonymous
In my teens, I had a fair few relationships that never became sexual: either because neither of us were comfortable enough, we felt that we weren't ready...
Not everyone just goes and has sex as soon as they have their first relationship, because that's what all the cool kids are doing and because, well, a relationship is an opportunity to get rid of the V plates. Having innocent teenage relationships is all part of a healthy youth. Before experimenting with sex, you should first understand relationships.

But this guy will be 18 or there abouts, and generally speaking, if you're 18 and in a long-term relationship the issue of sex will probably come up. And he's not mentioned anywhere that I can find that this is his first relationship.

Perhaps it's hers, and perhaps she won't ever want to have sex with him. But I'm finding it very difficult to see how these people would be compatible sexually, since there's such a difference between the mentalities of a 14 year old and an 18 year old in terms of sex.
Reply 45
This is a job for the A-team
Wow wow, try this one ... "If they're old enough to crawl they're in the right position". I think that answers all your questions or even "If it smells like fish, batter it!".

Two timelessly disgusting jokesone of my mates whos in the army came out with... harmless banter really.

Worst one ive known is 32 yr old and 17 yr old. Personally I would go by a 2 yr rule until im older (my parents are 7 yrs apart though)... therefore for 18 its 16, 19 its 17 (possibly get away with 16, if ur a legend)... etc.
I'm probably gonna get loads of **** for saying this buttt.... whenever I see 6th form or older going out with lower school girls I think 'can they just not do any better?' or 'they must be desperate'....
Just think of all the girls your age, why do you have to go for someone that much younger and that much more innocent?

However if you really really want it I suggest you make it clear to her parents your intentions are ... uh ...'honorable'?
Maybe they can't do any better.
Fluent in Lies
So when he was 18 you were 11 :smile:

More interestingly, I am not 11 and he is not 18. When my dad was 18, my mom was 12...

Next.
more adventurous
More interestingly, I am not 11 and he is not 18. When my dad was 18, my mom was 12...

Next.

Oh, curses you can do sarcasm too.
Reply 51
If you think that is a big age gap, my ex who is 16 is now going out with a 26yr old,who has been in love with her since she was 14!! now that is sick! She is a model, but its still disgusting!
Reply 52
The general rule of thumb that i think works is +12 to the older persons age and half it. so a 25 year old could perhaps get away with going as low as 18 and a half or so? etc. I still think its unacceptable for an 18 year old to go out with a 15 year old, their minds are about as developed as their bodies.
Reply 53
I'd say 2 years younger is as far as I'd go. My brother is 18 and it just seems like if I was going out with someone younger than him it'd be a bit weird.
Reply 54
more adventurous
I'm 18 and wouldn't date anyone younger.

Why is that though?

I bet her reasoning would be similar to yours. Am I right in assuming you've applied that rule for a little while? Just speculation.
Reply 55
I think that's pretty dodgy, since my brother is in Year 9. That's just...wrong, in my eyes. I wouldn't be able to go out with someone the same age as my brother..

I'm in Year 12, and wouldn't be interested in anyone below Year 11...although I generally don't like guys younger than me anyway. Quite a few of my (male) friends have girlfriends in Year 11 and that's okay, any younger and it's a bit odd though.
Eww. Don't do it!
Reply 57
i went out today and got the numbers of two 9 year olds!! woooo!
I dunno, I think it would be weird. You might not notice it at the time, but you grow up so much during your teenage years. I've just finished my A Levels and I'm not the same person I was in year 9/10/11, or even year 12 really by a long way. Even people in the year below say things that make me think they're slightly immature (and I'm sure that's what the year 13s thought about us last year, etc), so I couldn't imagine going out with someone much younger at all. When you get to sixth form your priorities are completely different to that of a year 9 or 10, or even 11 really. Unless she is exceptionally mature for her age, I don't think that you'd ever really find the understanding of one another necessary for a proper relationship.

Also, when I turned 18 my social life changed quite a lot. I can now just go out to the pub or a bar with my friends for a few drinks and to catch up, and ditto with my ex-boyfriend. She won't be able to do any of that, at the moment she technically can't even go and see anything rated more highly than a 12A at the cinema for god's sake, and I think all of that could get really frustrating.

And like others have said, even if you did manage to overcome all those obstacles and your relationship progressed to a stage where you were ready to have sex, etc, then you would be breaking the law. And also, I think at 17/18 you're going to reach that stage a lot quicker than she would, it's just natural, and that too could get frustrating for you. I know you've said you don't want that from a relationship, but sex, etc, is a big part of a serious relationship, starting from people aged about your age, and I do think it would become an issue at some point, even if you're not thinking about that now.
only my opinions...

i think sleepy person made some great posts! i think ages gaps are less significant the older u get, like my grandad and grandma are 6 yrs apart, it doesnt seem like anything, but thinking of him being 18 and her being 12 is just weird to me. i agree with posters who say thinking about the different stages in life you'll be going thru. i'm 19, and have taken a gap yr so am in the yr below (if u follow that) so i'd probably date from my yr now (a yr younger than me for the most part) and up (not too far up bcos of the whole life stages thing!). hmm, you could always be friends with the girl, both carry on with your seperate lives but stay in touch, and then if the feelings were still there it could be a different story =) in yr 9, even if i thought i was, i probably wasn't ready for any sort of serious relationship or sex

Latest

Trending

Trending