The Student Room Group

Will IB Math studies limit my chances of studying Business in respected universities?

I'm in DP1 and I take HL; Economics, Psychology and English A (lit&lang), SL; French B, ESS, Math studies.
I've taken Math Standard Level for the first semester of DP1 and just now switched to Math studies. Here's the thing. Math does not come naturally to me whatsoever, however if I put a large amount of time and energy into it (usually with the help of a tutor) I can succeed. That's what I've been doing for the past few years anyway. However this year, I have so much other work to do, and in order to get even somewhat good grades in math SL, I need to sacrifice time for studying for my other subjects, jeopardising my grades for them.
Here are my unofficial (teachers predicted, and I predicted) grades:
English HL: 6 or 7
Psychology HL: 6 or 7
Economics HL: 6 or 7
Math SL: 3 or 4
ESS SL: 7
French SL: 6 or 7
As you can see I'm a good (even excellent) student, except for math. In Math Studies I'm certain I'll get a 7.
Getting more points will raise my IB points (i'm aiming for a minimum of 38, but hoping for 40 or a bit above) but might make some unis look down on me for taking studies. It's not that I don't understand mathematics, I just have no passion or time to put in the energy needed for me to succeed. Keep in mind that all the mathematics needed in economics I have of course learned and find easy. It's just when I learn new things in Math SL I think how I'll never use them, and focus on my other subjects instead. I am committed to learning any mathematics needed for any business courses, in universities, or with extra math lessons if they so condition.
I'm interested in studying some type of business course (management, administration, marketing, entrepreneurship, etc) in London, specifically. I have looked at (and am interested in) King's College London, Cass Business School, Regent's European School of Business and Brunell. It's very important for me to go to a well known and respected university.
None of these require Math SL, however I know that if it comes down to it, they'll choose an applicant with the same points as mine, however with Math SL instead of Studies, over me. And that terrifies me.
I'm looking for some more opinions on this (believe me, I've spoken to every possible teacher, advisor, read probably every thread there is on this, emailed the schools (still waiting for response)) and advice.
If you bear bad news for me, don't criticise me too much for giving up, because yes, I know that that is what I have done. I'm already ashamed beyond words for switching to studies, I don't need to hear any more.
I'd just like to hear your experiences and opinions.
Thank you.
-i'm a british girl studying IB in sweden, in case anyone wanted some background information for whatever reason
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi,
It depends on the A Level requirements for your course. If a certain level of maths isn't specified then the Universities won't discriminate against you. I know you want to know about Business but I have applied for Natural Sciences and have received three offers.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending