The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Computing & IT - TU100, need some general advice

Hi

I started the TU100 module in October (yep not even 2 months into it) and to be honest I'm really disliking it as I'm finding it so boring. My primary reason for starting this degree was to do programming as I thought I might enjoy it (done some pascal at college) and again I'm not liking Sense at all. I think I've started this degree for the wrong reasons being possible future employment.

My educational background is in IT but that was over a decade ago and it seems I don't have the same enthusiasm for the subject any more. I was originally going to do a Natural Sciences (have an interest in Biology and Cosmology) degree but changed my mind and opted for IT because I thought it might of been a more natural fit based on my background

Does any one know if it's possible to start something else 2 months into the study year. Saying that I I'm not even 100% on what I want to do, that's always been my problem.

Thanks,
Reply 1
Do you think you'll be interested in any of the later IT modules? Level 1 modules are often pretty basic and personally I found M150 and T175 a bit boring (they are the two modules that merged to form TU100), but I was much more interested in some of the level 2 and 3 modules. I didn't do Sense as that wasn't included back when I did M150, but we did some basic Javascript and stuff like that. I much preferred the VB and Java programming modules (MT264 and M255 then - I think it's M250 now).

If you're sure you don't want to carry on in IT, then I still think it might be worth finishing TU100 as you may well be able to use some of the points towards another degree anyway. It may also have financial/funding implications if you drop out of it. It would be best if you gave the OU a call and discussed your worries with them, and they will advise you of the potential effects of dropping TU100 and how you can go about switching degrees.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Kate.
Do you think you'll be interested in any of the later IT modules? Level 1 modules are often pretty basic and personally I found M150 and T175 a bit boring (they are the two modules that merged to form TU100), but I was much more interested in some of the level 2 and 3 modules. I didn't do Sense as that wasn't included back when I did M150, but we did some basic Javascript and stuff like that. I much preferred the VB and Java programming modules (MT264 and M255 then - I think it's M250 now).

If you're sure you don't want to carry on in IT, then I still think it might be worth finishing TU100 as you may well be able to use some of the points towards another degree anyway. It may also have financial/funding implications if you drop out of it. It would be best if you gave the OU a call and discussed your worries with them, and they will advise you of the potential effects of dropping TU100 and how you can go about switching degrees.

Thanks for the reply Kate much appreciated.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what my options are, ideally I'd like to restart and do a different degree next October and in the meanwhile I'll do some short courses at OpenLearn to see what I really want to do.

Just hoping Student Finance won't reject re-funding me if I were to start again :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest