The Student Room Group

Is it OK to cycle on public roads?

Cyclers dont bother me personally but plenty of people get really pissed off by them. What do you think, and why?

Scroll to see replies

Its cyclists you dumbass. Im a cyclist myself, do the maths.
Original post by Laomedeia
Cyclers dont bother me personally but plenty of people get really pissed off by them. What do you think, and why?

I think it's perfectly acceptable if you're going to be sensible about it. For example signalling and generally using the highway code, only taking up the 60cm on the left side of the lane that is yours*, making sure you can be seen**, not purchasing a flashing light which you put on your bike at night***, and not cycling in large groups*.

However motorists need to be more accepting as well. I'm currently learning to drive, and a basic issue with drivers is their attitude. Impatience and aggression lead to accidents, and can amplify the danger that someone else is causing. We all have to respect other road users, no matter how late we are for that meeting.

*I see so many groups cyclists next to one another so they can have a chat, which makes it so much harder to overtake them for the car behind. They're also more unpredictable because if they've claimed that much road as theirs then there's no way of knowing how well they're going to indicate their actions.

**It's rather scary when a cyclist pops up from nowhere

***Great to be able to see the bike, but you can't tell how far away it is or how fast it is moving, and you can't see anything else to concentrate on when there's a bright, flashing, red light in front of you!
Reply 3
We have just as much right to be on the roads as you do (unless it's a motorway of course). If you cycle responsibly no sane driver is going to take issue with you
Reply 4
Original post by carrotstar
I think it's perfectly acceptable if you're going to be sensible about it. For example signalling and generally using the highway code, only taking up the 60cm on the left side of the lane that is yours*, making sure you can be seen**, not purchasing a flashing light which you put on your bike at night***, and not cycling in large groups*.

However motorists need to be more accepting as well. I'm currently learning to drive, and a basic issue with drivers is their attitude. Impatience and aggression lead to accidents, and can amplify the danger that someone else is causing. We all have to respect other road users, no matter how late we are for that meeting.

*I see so many groups cyclists next to one another so they can have a chat, which makes it so much harder to overtake them for the car behind. They're also more unpredictable because if they've claimed that much road as theirs then there's no way of knowing how well they're going to indicate their actions.

***Great to be able to see the bike, but you can't tell how far away it is or how fast it is moving, and you can't see anything else to concentrate on when there's a bright, flashing, red light in front of you!

When overtaking a cyclist you should give at least as much room as you should a car which in theory means them riding two abreast shouldn't make it any more difficult on the majority of roads and in some cases (where all road users are using the roads as they should be used safer and quicker).

In many situations the entire lane is for the use of the cyclist too. Again this is often the safest way to ride and you already seem to have picked up the attitude you seem to dislike so much.

There are so many more problems with your post that I seriously suggest you change instructor, re-read the high-way code and attend a bikeability course.

Whilst I rarely ride two abreast I do often use primary road position which forces road users to overtake safely, the same is achieved by riding two abreast and most good cycling groups have practised ways to single out where appropriate in the same way I will take the secondary road position where appropriate.

Whilst you might get the impression I disagree completely with you from the above I do think your part about people being patient and accepting is very important and a good attitude to have :smile:
Reply 5
The majority of cyclists in student areas are idiots, outside of such areas they tend to be okay. As long as they adhere to the highway code, I'm cool with it; those who switch between the pavement and road are ********* though, it's my pet hate. Pick one, ********.
Reply 6
Original post by Lelcats
The majority of cyclists in student areas are idiots, outside of such areas they tend to be okay. As long as they adhere to the highway code, I'm cool with it; those who switch between the pavement and road are ********* though, it's my pet hate. Pick one, ********.

This post I almost completely agree with :biggrin:. Just the end, picking one shouldn't be an option, you ride on the road/cycle path. The only time you should be on the path is when it's a shared pedestrian/cycle path, when you're pushing your bike or (and this one is borderline) when you're learning to cycle or just learnt to cycle.
Reply 7
Original post by curtis871
This post I almost completely agree with :biggrin:. Just the end, picking one shouldn't be an option, you ride on the road/cycle path. The only time you should be on the path is when it's a shared pedestrian/cycle path, when you're pushing your bike or (and this one is borderline) when you're learning to cycle or just learnt to cycle.

If it were under the circumstances you stated I'd have no problem whatsoever, those are perfectly reasonable reasons to use the pavement. My last comment was in reference to those who decide to filter using the pavement / to advance through red lights
Reply 8
Original post by Lelcats
If it were under the circumstances you stated I'd have no problem whatsoever, those are perfectly reasonable reasons to use the pavement. My last comment was in reference to those who decide to filter using the pavement / to advance through red lights

In which case I absolutely agree with you :biggrin:. I sort of understand why some people go through red lights as it's safer than waiting if you've been stupid enough to filter to an unsafe place or not maintained a good lane position waiting at lights (central not in the gutter) and someone has squeezed next to you and will potentially sideswipe you but both those situations can be avoided by not filtering into the dangerous place and by riding in the primary position when approaching lights that are changing or are red. Advanced stop lines are a brilliant idea at lights though unfortunately near me they seem to be ignored :angry:. I'd like to see them have CCTV and a huge fine for anyone not using them appropriately.

Personally I do agree with you for the most part, but I don't have a problem with cyclists sometimes moving into the middle of their lane. There are plenty of roads where the edge near the pavement is crumbling away and dangerous to cycle on, or in busy cities when approaching junctions where if they don't take up a dominant position they are in a much more dangerous position.

The thing that annoys me most about cyclists is what I like to think of as "cyclists immunity", the belief that a lot of cyclists have that if anything happens to them while on their bike then it cannot ever be their own fault.

The example I give for that is that if you're a pedestrian and you walked out through a gap in traffic without looking at all and got hit then it would be your fault. If you were on a motorbike and pulled out around a parked car without looking and got hit it would be your fault. If you were driving and pulled out around a parked car without looking and got hit it would be your fault. But if you're cycling and pull out around a parked car without looking and get hit it will always be the fault of the person that hit you.
If cyclists follow the rules then I am fine with them. Since I've moved to suburban to central London recently, I have noticed why people find them so annoying. I sit on a bus and I just see some swerve out in front of it.

I am seeing a lot of cyclists not wearing any reflective clothing at night time; I see cyclists without helmets; cyclists in the middle of a lane; cyclists not indicating...you name it. Don't get me wrong, there are some really responsible cyclists out there, but I doubt most cyclists have taken a course or anything to know how to cycle safely. A bike lane is not enough to feel safe, and cycling down Euston Road like you own the carriageway is definitely not right.

My pet hate is cyclists thinking they can skip the red light. I mean, Euston Circus Junction is a dangerous place even for pedestrians so I am always ready to go into instant first aid mode when I see a cyclist jump the red light!

If the TfL gained any extra funds, I would love to see cycle lanes implemented in as many places as possible on the pavement like in Berlin or Amsterdam. :smile:
Reply 11
As a cyclist I believe that many motorists disregard cyclists' right to be on the road, likely because they're paying an extortionate amount to drive while cyclists are only maintaining their bikes and spending calories. What about the value of the environment and the planet that cyclists help to protect? Just because I'm responsible and only use my car for long journeys or bad weather doesn't mean I should be a second class road user. It's markedly worse in London, where it often feels like you're being bullied off the road by cars and buses coming up way too close and way too fast, even though they're only gonna have to stop again at the next lights in 40 yards. I actually took part in the London naked bike ride last june to protest against this car tyranny. Cycling is still the most energy efficient form of transport ever made, EVER. And cyclists deserve their place on the road alongside cars respectfully.

Just to explain why we cyclists sometimes do the things we do ...

Only taking up 60cm of the road is often extremely dangerous for a cyclist. When you overtake a cyclist, you should give at least as much room as you would a car - at least 1.5m, preferably more. If the cyclist could touch you, it's downright dangerous.

When a car driver overtakes you too close, it's downright scary. They come up very fast, and very close, and it's impossible to judge fast enough whether or not you're going to be hit. This is terrifying. Furthermore, if you cycle within a door-width of a parked car, then you open yourself up to the risk of having it opened into your path (commonly referred to as being 'doored') - which will either mean that you smack straight into it, or are knocked into the path of other traffic. Either has the potential to injure or kill the cyclist, and in the process close the road for several hours and so cause massive traffic delays. There are also some places (single track lanes, at traffic islands) where it is simply too narrow to overtake safely. In these situations, the DfT advice is to ride in the middle of the road.

To combat all of the above, sometimes cyclists need to ride out further into the road. The reasons relating to dooring and narrow roads are pretty obvious, but when it comes to overtaking it's less obvious. It's because when you move out into the road more, the car driver will notice you more, and realise that the do have to take specific action to avoid you. They then pull out properly, and you get more space than you ever would if you had stuck to the 60cm on the left hand side of the road.

With regards to flashing bike lights, you have to understand that the cyclist's first priority is to be seen, and flashing lights help with thhat. Not being see is really bloody dangerous. It's not a specific aim of flashing lights, but if it makes you pay more attention to how fast they're moving and how far away they are, it probably means that you've taken notice of the cyclist and will avoid them.

With the thing about groups of cyclists, then (a) it is entirely legal to ride two abreast, per lane (so on a dual carriageway you can ride four abreast, two in each lane), though I suspect that this law was primarily made with overtaking in mind, and (b) it may be that the outer rider is 'sheltering' a more vulnerable road user - someone disabled, new to cycling, or young. This can be impossible to discern without stopping to ask them. However, I will agree that cyclists who ride two abreast for extended periods of time to just have a chat are annoying.

However, this is spot on
a basic issue with drivers is their attitude. Impatience and aggression lead to accidents, and can amplify the danger that someone else is causing. We all have to respect other road users, no matter how late we are for that meeting.

If only all car drivers took this attitude!

I'm not going to say that all cyclists are great - I've had one or two cycle towards me on the wrong side of the main road before. Tonight, I saw a teenager on a BMX, no lights, riding one handed because he was drinking an energy drink, on the pavement, no helmet with a girl of about three or four balancing on the pegs and clutching his midriff. I haven't seen anything that bad in a while, but Jesus wept.

Anyway, I wrote this post because I think that car drivers often don't see the road in the same way as cyclists do, and so don't understand the things we do :wink:
Most cyclists on here acting like they are all innocent, lol.

One thing I don't understand is why cyclists, when they have a trail of cars following, don't pull into the layby that is approaching to allow the cars to pass.
Original post by curtis871
When overtaking a cyclist you should give at least as much room as you should a car which in theory means them riding two abreast shouldn't make it any more difficult on the majority of roads and in some cases (where all road users are using the roads as they should be used safer and quicker).

In many situations the entire lane is for the use of the cyclist too. Again this is often the safest way to ride and you already seem to have picked up the attitude you seem to dislike so much.

There are so many more problems with your post that I seriously suggest you change instructor, re-read the high-way code and attend a bikeability course.

Whilst I rarely ride two abreast I do often use primary road position which forces road users to overtake safely, the same is achieved by riding two abreast and most good cycling groups have practised ways to single out where appropriate in the same way I will take the secondary road position where appropriate.

Whilst you might get the impression I disagree completely with you from the above I do think your part about people being patient and accepting is very important and a good attitude to have :smile:

I've had a grand total of two driving lessons, and my instructor has had no input into that impression I have. I have not fully read the highway code, but I can remember clearly what I was taught about cycling at primary school, which was the introduction to general cycling rules. I guess my Dad has given me the impression I have, especially about the red flashing light. I understand that the majority of cyclists are considerate and aware, but some spoil it for the majority.
Original post by Origami Bullets

With regards to flashing bike lights, you have to understand that the cyclist's first priority is to be seen, and flashing lights help with thhat. Not being see is really bloody dangerous. It's not a specific aim of flashing lights, but if it makes you pay more attention to how fast they're moving and how far away they are, it probably means that you've taken notice of the cyclist and will avoid them.

Anyway, I wrote this post because I think that car drivers often don't see the road in the same way as cyclists do, and so don't understand the things we d

My attitude comes from living in the middle of the countryside on winding roads without markings, where things like parked cars opening doors aren't high up on the danger list. There are a lot of horse riders around as well during the day. Because of the winding roads, it takes you by surprise when there is a cyclist around the corner, but if there's two then it's harder to avoid. As the roads are almost empty it is usually safe to overtake straight away, but the lack of other cars means that cars are moving faster than they might in a city or town on smaller roads. I don't really blame either road user in most cases, and the majority of cyclists are fine, but a few spoil it for the majority.
Original post by officelinebacker
Personally I do agree with you for the most part, but I don't have a problem with cyclists sometimes moving into the middle of their lane. There are plenty of roads where the edge near the pavement is crumbling away and dangerous to cycle on, or in busy cities when approaching junctions where if they don't take up a dominant position they are in a much more dangerous position.

The thing that annoys me most about cyclists is what I like to think of as "cyclists immunity", the belief that a lot of cyclists have that if anything happens to them while on their bike then it cannot ever be their own fault.

The example I give for that is that if you're a pedestrian and you walked out through a gap in traffic without looking at all and got hit then it would be your fault. If you were on a motorbike and pulled out around a parked car without looking and got hit it would be your fault. If you were driving and pulled out around a parked car without looking and got hit it would be your fault. But if you're cycling and pull out around a parked car without looking and get hit it will always be the fault of the person that hit you.

Agreed.
My attitude comes from living in the middle of the countryside on winding roads without markings, where things like parked cars opening doors aren't high up on the danger list. There are a lot of horse riders around as well during the day. Because of the winding roads, it takes you by surprise when there is a cyclist around the corner, but if there's two then it's harder to avoid. As the roads are almost empty it is usually safe to overtake straight away, but the lack of other cars means that cars are moving faster than they might in a city or town on smaller roads. I don't really blame either road user in most cases, and the majority of cyclists are fine, but a few spoil it for the majority.

And this is why I hate cycling in the countryside :afraid:

I think my slightly jaded view comes from commuting down what has been called (relatively politely) "the epicentre of all crap driving" and "like cycling the gauntlet". It's like the rules of the road don't apply along there, more so than anywhere else I've ever seen. After that, cycling in central London is a genuine breath of fresh air (say what you like about Boris, but he seems to have done a lot of good for cycling).

However, I would suggest that if you don't think you would be able to stop in time if you came across a cyclist / pedestrian where there's no pavement / horserider then you're probably going too fast in the first place.

Original post by Harantony
If cyclists follow the rules then I am fine with them. Since I've moved to suburban to central London recently, I have noticed why people find them so annoying. I sit on a bus and I just see some swerve out in front of it.

I am seeing a lot of cyclists not wearing any reflective clothing at night time Entirely legal; I see cyclists without helmets Entirely legal, and indeed there is an argument (controversial, but with some merit) that you're no safer with one, because not wearing one makes both the cyclist and surrounding motorists more cautious; cyclists in the middle of a lane Entirely legal, and recommended in some cases; cyclists not indicating Crap cycling, by all accounts...you name it. Don't get me wrong, there are some really responsible cyclists out there, but I doubt most cyclists have taken a course or anything to know how to cycle safely. A bike lane is not enough to feel safe, and cycling down Euston Road like you own the carriageway is definitely not right Cyclists do have just as much right to be on the road as you do

My pet hate is cyclists thinking they can skip the red light. I mean, Euston Circus Junction is a dangerous place even for pedestrians so I am always ready to go into instant first aid mode when I see a cyclist jump the red lights I'm not familiar with that junction, but there are some arguments to suggest that it makes the cyclist safer in some circumstances (essentially, when their path isn't going to cross that of another road user, i.e. when they're not deviating from the kerb). It's legal in some French cities, Belgium, Germany and Scandanavia, and apparently it works well. Indeed, the Lords have recommended that we adopt the system too.

If the TfL gained any extra funds, I would love to see cycle lanes implemented in as many places as possible on the pavement like in Berlin or Amsterdam. Whilst admirable, I think that there is a significant problem with these: pedestrians. In my experience, pedestrians have no concept that they are on a shared path, or indeed wandering onto the wrong side of a segregated path, and can be a danger to themselves and others. IMHO, whilst fantastic along routes where the traffic is heavy / fast and there are few pedestrians, in areas where there are too many pedestrians, they can be downright dangerous to all concerned.

I'm not saying that cyclists should break all the laws, but I think it's important to note that there is a different perspective to be had on the idea that obeying the letter of the law is always best for everyone.
I've had a grand total of two driving lessons, and my instructor has had no input into that impression I have. I have not fully read the highway code, but I can remember clearly what I was taught about cycling at primary school, which was the introduction to general cycling rules. I guess my Dad has given me the impression I have, especially about the red flashing light. I understand that the majority of cyclists are considerate and aware, but some spoil it for the majority.

Ah okay then in which case early in your lessons is a good time to learn :P.

The old bicycle proficiency test (what I'm assuming you did) was incredibly outdated when I did it 14 years ago. It was designed for a time when there was less traffic on the road, it was often moving slower and generally speaking people were more patient. It was disgraceful that they carried it on as long as they did. Thankfully they have finally updated it to bikeability which is somewhat passable. Personally I'd still prefer it to be in more depth and it does have weaknesses but it's a huge improvement.

As far as the flashing red lights go I prefer solid ones (which I assume you also do if you don't like flashing ones) though I don't see it as a huge issue and I have spent a considerable amount of time on roads across the UK cycling (I am a national standard assistant instructor for bikeability), on motorcycles (4000-6000 miles a month) and a small amount in cars so I do understand it being more of an issue in some areas :smile:.
No, not because I have an issue with them, but the road conditions today just make it too risky to cycle on public roads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending