The Student Room Group

Considering dropping sixth form, not sure what else there is to do

I'm very uncertain that I should stay in sixth form, as my grades are dropping rapidly, and so is my attendance. I've got very bad anxiety and possible, undiagnosed bi-polar disorder, so when I had a week off with an illness, it ended up snowballing into a massive episode of depression and worry.

THe problem is that I don't know what to do outside of sixth form. The whole reason I came to sixth form in the first place is due to a lack of information - this was the only place I was told I could go to, and my parents didn't help when I said that I wanted to go open days and they didn't take me.

I'm in desperate need of help. I'm so far behind with my work that my subject teachers are considering dropping me, and I feel like a huge embarrasement and a failure. I'm not comfortable being me - I want to be comfortable in my skin once again.

Thanks to all who read this, and post help/replies. Thank you all.
Reply 1
Original post by Shima33
I'm very uncertain that I should stay in sixth form, as my grades are dropping rapidly, and so is my attendance. I've got very bad anxiety and possible, undiagnosed bi-polar disorder, so when I had a week off with an illness, it ended up snowballing into a massive episode of depression and worry.

THe problem is that I don't know what to do outside of sixth form. The whole reason I came to sixth form in the first place is due to a lack of information - this was the only place I was told I could go to, and my parents didn't help when I said that I wanted to go open days and they didn't take me.

I'm in desperate need of help. I'm so far behind with my work that my subject teachers are considering dropping me, and I feel like a huge embarrasement and a failure. I'm not comfortable being me - I want to be comfortable in my skin once again.

First of all, you're not a huge embarrassment and failure. It's okay that you're struggling because A levels are hard. They honestly are, I remember my teacher telling me that A levels were the hardest part of her entire education.

There's a lot of options and choices out there, you know. It's just finding the right one that suits you. I understand what you mean about not knowing what was going on. Teachers and parents these days force students/kids to go onto higher education without telling them about the choices that they are able to make.

All these people keep saying that you HAVE to do A levels and you HAVE to do a degree to get a decent job - it's not always true. If you feel like it isn't the right path, then just go with your gut feeling. It's true that many people say that university is an incredible experience, but hey. If you don't want to do it, then you don't want to do it.

Now, as for the options available to you out there. You have the option of going straight into work if you would like, then perhaps work your way up? Then there's apprenticeships which are more suited for vocational courses such as baking, designing and such. I'd recommend you visit their website where they will tell you what's available and how to apply. You get paid alongside studying and doing practical work when doing apprenticeships, and at the end you receive a certificate BUT you will also have experience which employers would look for when searching for workers. (You could even go to university with an apprenticeship - but I think you should research into it more as I'm not sure myself).

It's a possibility that you want to re-do your A levels somewhere else and choose different subjects this time - the kind that you love and enjoy. When you finish your A levels, you could do an Apprenticeship from there, and then continue higher education, or again, go into working.

My advice would be to give yourself some time and see what you want to do. And remember that just because you decide upon a certain route, doesn't mean you HAVE to stick to it. People change their mind all the time, and that's okay because the whole idea is to do something you love with everything you have. It's all part of "living the dream" as they would like to call it. And experiencing different situations is part of that too.

Once you find yourself with a pathway that's a little more clearer, you'll see the improvement in the things you do. It feels good to know what you want, and you're not the only person who feels this way.

I would also advise you to join and participate in more things. Stuff like, I don't know... learning a musical instrument? Reading more, getting involved in activities, meeting more people and such. You'll get a better sense of what it's all about, and you'll make greater connections. Who knows, maybe someone you'll meet will have other connections to the people who can help you get that career you've always wanted!

I hope this helps a bit, I know it's easier said then done with all the giving advice. But please don't lose hope, you are meant for great things. We just have to look and search a little deeper.

Focus on what you are good at, and if you feel like you don't know what that is, then maybe it's a talent you haven't discovered yet!

I truly wish you all the best! Have fun through the journey, take care and good luck. :smile:
Original post by Shima33

You are absolutely not a failure! Plenty of people struggle with sixth form for a huge variety of reasons. It is completely not your fault if you can't cope with it right now.

Without going into details for privacy reasons, a friend of mine dropped out of sixth form two weeks ago because of ongoing issues with mental health, including anxiety, self-harm and anorexia. She has been suffering with this since the start of year 11 and even with a huge amount of support, she decided that she couldn't continue with sixth form. She is now taking a year away from everything to try and get help managing everything, and plans to enrol in a college course next September.

Now, obviously you are not her. But I hope that her example shows that you are not alone in this, it is much more common than you'd think, and there are plenty of things you can do. If you aren't feeling happy, I would recommend dropping out and taking a break. Just take some time away from the stress and pressure and try and find something that helps you with that. That might be counselling, a relaxing activity, anything. It's all individual. But finding something to help you cope will ensure that you can start something new refreshed.

It may be daunting just dropping everything, and you may think you will have issues with friends, parents, etc. But friends should support you through everything and hopefully your family will understand that this is necessary for you. If your teachers know what you are going through, they may even be able to help talking to your parents if that is necessary - alternatively, a doctor or therpaist or similar professional may be able to.

Once you feel ready - and don't feel pressured to rush into anything, go at your own pace - you can decide where to go next. You could go to a sixth form, the same or different, to study the same or different subjects. You could go to college and take either A levels, a vocational course like a NVQ, or a combination of the two. You could get an apprenticeship for a vocation or trade. The rules vary, but you may even be able to go straight into work. It is absolutely up to you.

Open days for sixth forms and colleges will start again soon for next year, so you could always go to those and see what you think. I don't know your individual circumstances but you may be able to get a bus or train if your parents cannot take you. You may even be able to find a friend or a friend's sibling who is going and could give you a lift. Even if you can't get to open days, browse the internet, because all of these places have websites which are incredibly informative.

It sounds like you were never given adequate information or support, so this is not your fault in the slightest. Just do what you think is best for you and hopefully everyone else can understand and help you through it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest