The Student Room Group

A*BC A-Levels. Worried.

At A-Level I got A*BC (maths, physics, further maths) and ended up (thankfully) studying physics at uni.

But I'm worried these grades are going to really hinder my future job prospects as employers seem to be looking more and more at A-Levels, and practically everyone in my future field(s) will have better if not fantastic grades.

I plan on hopefully doing a Masters and PhD. Will I be disadvantaged? What can I do to rectify the situation? Is there a way?

Thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by w1270
At A-Level I got A*BC (maths, physics, further maths) and ended up (thankfully) studying physics at uni.

But I'm worried these grades are going to really hinder my future job prospects as employers seem to be looking more and more at A-Levels, and practically everyone in my future field(s) will have better if not fantastic grades.

I plan on hopefully doing a Masters and PhD. Will I be disadvantaged? What can I do to rectify the situation? Is there a way?

Thank you.

They are what they are. Why worry now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by w1270

Thank you.

My Dad's a physicist and he got ACE at A level and a 3rd class degree...then he got a good masters and won an award for his PhD and he's now got an excellent job at Oxford Uni. He's got lots of other scientist mates in the same situation. I know it's only one example, but A levels really, really, really don't matter if you do well higher up. Keep on moving up. Forget about the A levels - they're for kids. Do well in your degree - that will 'rectify' the situation.
you could just redo modules in f-maths/ physics... so learn the material etc on your own and then sit the exams whenever, at a centre and then get higher grades! Although, I'm not sure if it matters, but there's no harm in doing them if you think it will help you :smile:
Reply 4
I'm in a similar position, lower A Levels but on a AAB course due to work experience. Try not to worry about it. I've contacted many prospective employers who say it's not that important, and just to email them when you are applying to make sure you're not filtered out. End of the day if you're a great candidate with a good CV people aren't going to say because of what you did between the ages of 16-18 means you won't be hired. And those that do aren't worth worrying about.

Chin up. See that spilt milk over there? No use crying about it! :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you very much everyone!
I'll speak to my teachers when I go to pick up my A level certificates, but I don't think I really want to retake any exams when I have uni ones as well.

That's reassuring. Thanks again!
Reply 6
Original post by BeautifulPotato
My Dad's a physicist and he got ACE at A level and a 3rd class degree...then he got a good masters and won an award for his PhD and he's now got an excellent job at Oxford Uni. He's got lots of other scientist mates in the same situation. I know it's only one example, but A levels really, really, really don't matter if you do well higher up. Keep on moving up. Forget about the A levels - they're for kids. Do well in your degree - that will 'rectify' the situation.

Agree.
Education means little. Who is teaching you? Academics? Pfftt, most of them apart from the top tier ones like the ones from Oxbridge are not worth listening to. If you really want to learn in life, you will do anything and everything to learn as best as possible.

Example of someone in my generation of the family. Went to Sunderland University and got a diploma. If at 18-21 she came here on tsr and asked for advice she would get laughed at and most likely be told she will amount to nothing. Well, these days she owns a restaurant/fast food franchise with multiple properties both here and abroad. She didn't need anyone to hire her and tell her she is clever, she grafted away and hired people herself instead.

I got a 2.1 from a Russell Group University in Law, so you would think I would be biased towards the more academic people, but no. I was struggling at first in trying to get the grad schemes I wanted, i finally got 2 offers in fact from two of the big four i had been preparing for, for weeks. I remember getting a lot of stick on here for my admittedly light cv. But, I said **** it and i was determined to prove to myself it was all a lot of b.s.. I passed everything and then i realised that going there is my idea of hell, i declined their offer because i know i would not be happy in that environment. I just cannot pretend to like working in such a corporate structure for however many years they wanted me there. I don't know how to 'learn my place'. I now have my own startup business and I love working, I plan to own a second business eventually.

I think that people in Europe are heavily reliant on just doing what others are doing (e.g. settling for a 9 to 5 in a corporate enclosure). I think it is probably the most anti-entrepreneurial place i've been to. Everyone seems keen to hide behind a big brand company and earn their average salary.
It's like if you did not go to a certain uni, get certain grades and work for a certain company you've failed. It is such robotic bull****. Essentially, I speculate that it is like people are being put through a production line and programmed to all think in the same generic way. I know for a fact that your Dad would never have got where he is if he listened to the foolish advice bandied around these places. Thing is, he had the balls to actually do what he was destined to do.

Anyway, it takes a tough skin to come back when people are doubting you and saying how you won't amount to much. But, how you respond to it is the real mark of the man or woman in question.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Just a caution against the stories from generations past.. It's a different world now and university education is perceived very differently now to how it was then.

Plus let's not get started on grade inflation...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Mr_Vain
Agree.
Education means little. Who is teaching you? Academics? Pfftt, most of them apart from the top tier ones like the ones from Oxbridge are not worth listening to. If you really want to learn in life, you will do anything and everything to learn as best as possible.

Example of someone in my generation of the family. Went to Sunderland University and got a diploma. If at 18-21 she came here on tsr and asked for advice she would get laughed at and most likely be told she will amount to nothing. Well, these days she owns a restaurant/fast food franchise with multiple properties both here and abroad. She didn't need anyone to hire her and tell her she is clever, she grafted away and hired people herself instead.

I got a 2.1 from a Russell Group University in Law, so you would think I would be biased towards the more academic people, but no. I was struggling at first in trying to get the grad schemes I wanted, i finally got 2 offers in fact from two of the big four i had been preparing for, for weeks. I remember getting a lot of stick on here for my admittedly light cv. But, I said **** it and i was determined to prove to myself it was all a lot of b.s.. I passed everything and then i realised that going there is my idea of hell, i declined their offer because i know i would not be happy in that environment. I just cannot pretend to like working in such a corporate structure for however many years they wanted me there. I don't know how to 'learn my place'. I now have my own startup business and I love working, I plan to own a second business eventually.

I think that people in Europe are heavily reliant on just doing what others are doing (e.g. settling for a 9 to 5 in a corporate enclosure). I think it is probably the most anti-entrepreneurial place i've been to. Everyone seems keen to hide behind a big brand company and earn their average salary.
It's like if you did not go to a certain uni, get certain grades and work for a certain company you've failed. It is such robotic bull****. Essentially, I speculate that it is like people are being put through a production line and programmed to all think in the same generic way. I know for a fact that your Dad would never have got where he is if he listened to the foolish advice bandied around these places. Thing is, he had the balls to actually do what he was destined to do.

Anyway, it takes a tough skin to come back when people are doubting you and saying how you won't amount to much. But, how you respond to it is the real mark of the man or woman in question.

That plus the development of a huge chip, apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeautifulPotato

You really think this is common? One personal anecdote does not negate the worth of A Levels. This sounds like something someone would say to themselves because they performed poorly at A Levels to feel better about themselves. :wink:
Original post by Ordinary guy
You really think this is common? One personal anecdote does not negate the worth of A Levels. This sounds like something someone would say to themselves because they performed poorly at A Levels to feel better about themselves. :wink:

Definitely not made up this time. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending