The Student Room Group

3 schools; which one to pick?

i applied to 3 instituitions, of which the three have given me an offer to study a levels. I will lay down the three, and the aspects which go with it, and you can tell which one i should attend to.

School A:- This one has an extremely good academic record; i.e. the best then the other three, that i have applied to, and is the second nearest to my house.

School B:- This one is a local college sixth form, which has the worst academic record, and is the closest to my house. It also has the lowest entry requirements.

School C:- This one is the furthest away from my house, and has the potential of being the best among the other instituitions, but is currently not as good as school A.

so which one would you choose, A, B, or C?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also would Unis favour School B, as it doesnt have as good an academic record?
Reply 2
Which one would you feel more comfotable going to? And how far away are they? "Furthest away" doesn't really mean anything, as long as it is in reasonable commuting distance.
Reply 3
A:- around 1 mile

B:- 1/2 mile

C:- 4/5
Kquishir
A:- around 1 mile

B:- 1/2 mile

C:- 4/5

That's nothing.

Unis don't favour sixth form colleges.

Go for the one with the best academic record, you'll thank yourself later in life.
OppressedMass
That's nothing.

Unis don't favour sixth form colleges.

Go for the one with the best academic record, you'll thank yourself later in life.

Agreed. Statistsics would say you're more likely to prosper academically at academically-better institutions.
Reply 6
hmmmm...i wasnt too reliant upon teacher support for gcses, so i guess it doesnt hugely matter as to if the teachers are good or not....but i guess its completely different at alevel, where understanding is stongly recommended to gain high marks.
Yeah, you can learn independently, but you need teachers who know their stuff. And there are some teachers out there who are appalling, seriously. Don't risk it.
Reply 8
School A - no doubt. All this bull about uni's preferring it is exactly that - bull. They just get encouraged (by money) to take more kids from "bad" schools. Uni's obviously would prefer kids from good schools.
Reply 9
no1mohsin
School A - no doubt. All this bull about uni's preferring it is exactly that - bull. They just get encouraged (by money) to take more kids from "bad" schools. Uni's obviously would prefer kids from good schools.

Have you thought that they may prefer good students instead? Regardless of school?
no1mohsin
All this bull about uni's preferring it is exactly that - bull. They just get encouraged (by money) to take more kids from "bad" schools. Uni's obviously would prefer kids from good schools.

I take issue with that statement, in fact you could call it ‘bull’. Universities aim to encourage the most intelligent students from all backgrounds and types of school. Hence why universities are trying to widen access to under represented groups in higher education. Why would they prefer the kids from the good schools? Perhaps you should consider the fact that the student coming from the bad school will have to be highly intelligent to succeed at a school with poor teaching and facilities.

Before this gets too off topic: OP go with the school you can picture yourself being happy at and working well in. The distances are not that great and shouldn’t make too much of a difference unless you are planning to go home during your free periods, or if public transport in your area is terrible.

Good luck deciding :smile:
Reply 11
If you want the good academic life with good support then go for School A, but it really is your choice, no one on this forum can make that for you. We can all give you our opinions but in the end you must make up you mind. If I were in your position I would choose School A.
Give us names, child.
Reply 13
The Ace is Back
Give us names, child.

why?
Easier to make a judgement of course.
Reply 15
DO you know me or somewhat, because i bunch of school names wouldnt really help you to judge anything.
Oh right. From the way you were talking about A & C it sounded like you were talking about some hot-shot private schools that a lot of people would have heard of. If not, nevermind then.

Oh and no I don't know you. I don't think.
Reply 17
The Ace is Back
Oh right. From the way you were talking about A & C it sounded like you were talking about some hot-shot private schools that a lot of people would have heard of. If not, nevermind then.

Oh and no I don't know you. I don't think.

A is not a "hot-shot private", but it is the best comprehensive in the country.
How about C, which one is that?
Reply 19
In the Top 10 comprehensive list.

Latest

Trending

Trending