The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

PGCE Primary, University of Southampton, starting 2014

Hi,

I recently interviewed at Southampton for a place on their Primary PGCE course starting in September 2014, and I was wondering if anyone else had heard back about their interviews or was thinking of applying there? Anyone who's already on the course, would be great to hear feedback or any advice!

I'd really like to hear from people!

F

Scroll to see replies

May I ask how your interview was please?

I have an interview for secondary teaching scheduled soon and would like to know how it went.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Hi Guys,

I have also applied for Primary PGCE at Southampton starting for 2014 and have just accepted my offer after deciding it was the best option for me :smile:

My interview consisted of the 5 minute group presentation (very straightforward and everyone was very helpful and communicative), the 5 minute interview (again very simple questions, no tricks or anything) and the spelling/maths/written tasks (fairly simple although I myself struggle with maths so I found that one a little harder).

I think this would be fairly similar for secondary teaching although obviously slightly different interview questions I would imagine :smile:

Good Luck!
Reply 3
Sorry for the massively delayed reply, Oliver, I can see from another thread that you've been offered a place now, so well done! I hope you found the interview day ok - I was really happy with the relaxed atmosphere, so no hesitation in accepting the offer of a place!

Look forward to meeting you in September, possibly!
Original post by FreyaW
Sorry for the massively delayed reply, Oliver, I can see from another thread that you've been offered a place now, so well done! I hope you found the interview day ok - I was really happy with the relaxed atmosphere, so no hesitation in accepting the offer of a place!

Look forward to meeting you in September, possibly!

Hey Freya :smile:

Just noticed your message. I accepted my offer straight away as it was my first choice so I was really happy with that. The interview day was fine for me. I was a bit nervous as expected but other than that it went well. I just have to get my head down now and work hard towards getting good grades.

Good to hear you've accepted the offer of a place as well. Good start to the new year for both of us then. How are you doing with your eDBS and medical forms? Did you send your actual driving license or did you send a scan of it?

Regards

OQ.
Original post by GeorgiaPerrey
Hi Guys,

I have also applied for Primary PGCE at Southampton starting for 2014 and have just accepted my offer after deciding it was the best option for me :smile:

I think this would be fairly similar for secondary teaching although obviously slightly different interview questions I would imagine :smile:

Good Luck!

Congrats on your place :smile: I may be seeing you in September as long as I can get a 2:2 or above!
Reply 6
Hey!
I've got my interview for Secondary PGCE at Southampton on the 15th! Really nervous, Queen, how was your interview, how quickly did they give you an offer?
Ratchit :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Oliver Queen
Hey Freya :smile:

Just noticed your message. I accepted my offer straight away as it was my first choice so I was really happy with that. The interview day was fine for me. I was a bit nervous as expected but other than that it went well. I just have to get my head down now and work hard towards getting good grades.

Good to hear you've accepted the offer of a place as well. Good start to the new year for both of us then. How are you doing with your eDBS and medical forms? Did you send your actual driving license or did you send a scan of it?

Regards

OQ.

I replied pretty much straight away, because it was my first choice as well, so it couldn't have worked out better really! I live very close to Southampton, so I took my original documents in, as they said I had the option of either taking them in myself or posting them by recorded delivery. I didn't really want to trust the post with things like my birth certificate/driving license, so I took in the originals and left them with copies, but if you live some way away I'm sure recorded delivery of the originals would be fine - when I asked they said they'd return them the same way.

Exciting times!
Congrats on your place :smile: I may be seeing you in September as long as I can get a 2:2 or above!

Yes sure you will be then! I always seem to be on the end of a 2.2 / 2.1 so feel good to have a chosen a Uni that wants a 2/2 so I can breathe a little this year :smile: What are you studying now?
Original post by GeorgiaPerrey
Yes sure you will be then! I always seem to be on the end of a 2.2 / 2.1 so feel good to have a chosen a Uni that wants a 2/2 so I can breathe a little this year :smile: What are you studying now?

Same here :smile: I should be able to get a 2:2 so thats good news for me at least. Im currently studying computer science. How about yourself?
Hi I have just had my interview at Southampton for the Primary PGCE on Tuesday and I was wondering how long after your interviews it took for you to hear back from the University?
Original post by CharlotteEarl
Hi I have just had my interview at Southampton for the Primary PGCE on Tuesday and I was wondering how long after your interviews it took for you to hear back from the University?

I think it was about 5-7 days :smile: They say you will definitely know within 1 week (or at least they did with me)
Same here :smile: I should be able to get a 2:2 so thats good news for me at least. Im currently studying computer science. How about yourself?

History :smile: Looking forward to studying what I really want to do!
Thank you! I heard back yesterday and found out I got a place on the Primary PGCE course I am so happy! now just to pass the QTS tests!
Reply 14
Woop!!! Just got offered a place at Southampton for September! Now just need to pass my QTS :frown:
Anybody doing PGCE Secondary Geography next year? I'm under the impression there isn't that many of us - UCAS says its full now, and my interview was all with PGCE History applicants! Would be great to find some of you! Well done everybody else, will be seeing you all in September.

Also, who knows what the renting situation is like in Southampton? I'm currently at uni in London, where you can leave it to August and still pretty much be guaranteed to find somewhere to live!
Original post by CharlotteEarl
Thank you! I heard back yesterday and found out I got a place on the Primary PGCE course I am so happy! now just to pass the QTS tests!

Original post by Ratchit99
Woop!!! Just got offered a place at Southampton for September! Now just need to pass my QTS :frown:

Congrats both. Im in the same boat as both of you. I have my QTS tests coming up the end of this month. I've booked them both for the same day too. I'm nervous about them but have passed both when practicing them.

Original post by charlotteb14
Anybody doing PGCE Secondary Geography next year? I'm under the impression there isn't that many of us - UCAS says its full now, and my interview was all with PGCE History applicants! Would be great to find some of you! Well done everybody else, will be seeing you all in September.

Also, who knows what the renting situation is like in Southampton? I'm currently at uni in London, where you can leave it to August and still pretty much be guaranteed to find somewhere to live!

Firstly, congrats :smile: Secondly, I have no idea when it comes to housing but I might try and get a mortgage on a 2 bedroom apartment and then rent a room out rather than just rent myself and pay off somebody else mortgage. If I can put down a 5% deposit on a house covered by the help to buy scheme then that'll be much better although it'll most likely have to be on the outskirts of Southampton due to property prices.
Reply 17
Congrats both. Im in the same boat as both of you. I have my QTS tests coming up the end of this month. I've booked them both for the same day too. I'm nervous about them but have passed both when practicing them.

Firstly, congrats :smile: Secondly, I have no idea when it comes to housing but I might try and get a mortgage on a 2 bedroom apartment and then rent a room out rather than just rent myself and pay off somebody else mortgage. If I can put down a 5% deposit on a house covered by the help to buy scheme then that'll be much better although it'll most likely have to be on the outskirts of Southampton due to property prices.

My partner and I have been renting in Southampton for years. We finally bought last summer on the Portsmouth side in the outskirts.
Renting isn't too bad. Expect an average of about 600 -700 ish for a decent 1 bed flat in the city centre. Obviously sharing is cheaper. Couple of good agents about, we used st moores for the city centre who do student stuff and they were great, don't use countrywide as they were truly awful.
Original post by Ratchit99
My partner and I have been renting in Southampton for years. We finally bought last summer on the Portsmouth side in the outskirts.
Renting isn't too bad. Expect an average of about 600 -700 ish for a decent 1 bed flat in the city centre. Obviously sharing is cheaper. Couple of good agents about, we used st moores for the city centre who do student stuff and they were great, don't use countrywide as they were truly awful.

Thanks for the information :smile: Im hopefully looking at something even 30-40 minutes away possibly even near Portsmouth or Havant way. I'll see how the DBS and my results go first before sorting any of that out however.

When do we need to start sorting student finance out for this?
Reply 19
Thanks for the information :smile: Im hopefully looking at something even 30-40 minutes away possibly even near Portsmouth or Havant way. I'll see how the DBS and my results go first before sorting any of that out however.

When do we need to start sorting student finance out for this?

No problem, if you need any help, give me a shout.
No idea on finance, but I'm sure June, July time is fine if your waiting on results

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending