The Student Room Group

How to get out of doing my christmas hours?

Ok, so i work at river island 4 hours a week. My contract states this. I work at CEX the rest of the week. I got the job at cex 2 months later from when i started at river island. It will come as no suprise that i love my job at cex. It is fun, lively the time flies by so fast and my co workers and managers are very friendly. River island is the complete opposite. I want to quit river island once my probation period is over at river island because i cant stand the 4 hours that i have to do each week.
Im am in a dillema where i have been given christmas hours for both jobs and it is obvious that i want to do the CEX hours rather than river island. I cannot spend more than 4 hours at that place. I did tell my river island deputy manger that i have another job but i have been still put down for christmas hours. I am dreading the call i have to make to my manager at river island telling her that i cant to my christmas hours.

Has anyone been able to cancel their christmas hours without having their head bitten off? Thanks
Reply 1
Why not just quit? You have another job at CEX and can't that partly tide you over until you find a new one? I'd get out of there quicker than you could say Christmas if I had another job.
If you're only contracted to do 4 hours a week and nothing says you have to do extra hours over Christmas, they cannot force you to do overtime. You'll just have to stand your ground and tell them straight that you aren't available and can only do your set shift. In retail this kind of thing happens all the time, they sneak hours on you without asking first and you have to tell them you can't/won't do it. If they are a decent manager they should be able to sort it, if they are incompetent they will have pinned all their hope on you doing those extra hours and have to scrabble around to find cover, which isn't your fault or your problem.
(edited 10 years ago)
Tell them you aren't available

Or you can quit....if you're gonna quit after your probation, you might as well do it now..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending