The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
blone_bomb
Really? Do you no anyone who would activley employ someone who has a broken wrist? Especially as i have no use of my right hand so cannot write and can type only very slowly. I now i can do alot of stuff and i really want a job maybe it would be diferent if i allready had a job and an understanding employer, but i was trying to get a job before i broke my wrist with no luck. Im very glad you managed to do all that with a broken wrist, but it is not the same for everyone. Im just hoping when i go back for more xrays they find its not broken. And it has stopped me from doing two of the best things in my life playing my trumpet and ride my motorbike.

Well obviously you and i are at different ends of the country so i cannot recommend a company! lol!

But I worked at a supermarket on the tills, i had broken my right wrist so i could use my left wrist to like pick things up and scan them. Just send your CV to all of the shops/supermarkets and ring up personell of businesses and ask if they need any help! Sound charming, interesting and that they couldn't survive without your help...well ish!

Good luck, sorry about the previous rant!

Graham
Reply 21
Dez
If they refuse you work because you're in a cast, surely that's disability discrimination?

No, as it isn't a disability
i broke both my writs on the first day of the summer holidays, and one in 2 places like you!! :smile:

It took about 5 weeks to heal, and they have both grown back stronger!! my wrists are fine now!!

:smile:
Reply 23
Well went back today and got it put into a nice new cast, wwith my wrist bent upwards so it can heal better. if it works i have the cast on for 6 weeks. if not then i have to have an operation.

no swimming for me on holiday...

its not all bad though. i quite enjoy showing it off.
Reply 24
Ask your doctor about the swimming bags you can buy for casts. Sounds stupid, but I used them when I broke my ankle three days before going on holiday to Italy (we drove there...). The doctor recommended these swimming bags to stick over your cast which are waterproof (unless you punch them). I think it depends whether the cast is fibreglass or pot (plaster of parisesque stuff). Worth enquiring about though. They were a lifesaver for that holiday! They definately make them for wrists as well.
Reply 25
meepmeep
Ask your doctor about the swimming bags you can buy for casts. Sounds stupid, but I used them when I broke my ankle three days before going on holiday to Italy (we drove there...). The doctor recommended these swimming bags to stick over your cast which are waterproof (unless you punch them). I think it depends whether the cast is fibreglass or pot (plaster of parisesque stuff). Worth enquiring about though. They were a lifesaver for that holiday! They definately make them for wrists as well.

thanks meepmeep. i was thinking of doing that except when i asked the consultant whether i'd be able to swim he just said "no," without even mentioning a waterproof bag. dunno if this means my wrist just isnt strong enough to swim or not, will have to find out next time.

by the way - why were you punching the waterproof bags? :smile:

mine is the fibreglass type. well i think it is anyway. its not plaster of paris stuff, its harder and lighter and is a nice red colour (could have got glow in the dark but decided against it)
I broke my scaphoid and that took three months roughly, and i have fracture my right wrist I think the cast was on for about 6 weeks but usually with fractures well in my case they have always taken about 3 months before the strength and pain subsided, so they were feeling reasonably normal again. Some employers might not have insurance that will cover you, if you have a cast on already. I guess it depends on the company and their insurers as to wether you are employable.

Latest

Trending

Trending