The Student Room Group

Girlfriend keeps nicking my ideas!??! What do i do

Hi,
Me and my partner are both in the same class (graphic communications at A level). We've been dating for a good few years now and it's really healthy. But I've been hesitant to communicate this because I, frankly, feel a bit insane about it.

Both of our projects have centered around character design and we love talking about that as a whole but it seems like every time I make a good design they make a watered down version. This isn't a one time thing.

I know it seems strange to mention but she is autistic and has a lot of trouble with creativity so I've tried hard not to mind. I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but it's come to a point now that I've started to resent the characters I've created as a result of it. But if I mention, she'll get upset and will be for a few weeks.

I want to figure out a way to ask her to tone it down without upsetting her. I really do love her, seeing her upset because she can't make ideas is something I really feel deeply about. She says I make her creative too but I feel like she's just stealing aspects of my stuff.

It's not a huge issue, still does anyone know what I can say? Or if this is even a valid issue at all?
Reply 1
Well you need to look after your own interests right now, and be gently protective about your own talents.

Where will you be 2 years down the line when you are no longer together? There are some fracture lines starting in this relationship which are unlikely to stop. Be aware they exist because your gf may not wish to want to do anything to change this. You are very useful to her.

Yes it is a valid issue. You risk a break up but she still needs to know that she cannot copy your work. She has to find her own lines of creativity.
Reply 2
The way you consider the fact that she gets upset when you mention it, you should also consider your feelings. If she's refusing to change or listen to how you feel that's not really healthy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending