The Student Room Group

Gym Apparel??

Yo! I am starting the gun in the new year and I was wondering what is the best thing to wear. I have been to the gym with my mate and he has wore vest and like spandex shorts is that a good idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IrishStallion
Yo! I am starting the gun in the new year and I was wondering what is the best thing to wear. I have been to the gym with my mate and he has wore vest and like spandex shorts is that a good idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wear whatever you want mate, it doesn't really matter. Obviously make sure your clothes don't restrict your movement. I usually just wear tracksuit bottoms with a plain t-shirt. Then if I'm doing CV I'll wear a vest top with shirts to help with the sweat. If you're worried about what you'll look like to others, you shouldn't be. People go to exercise not to judge you on your fashion. wear whatever's comfortable!:tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Frannoooooooo
Wear whatever you want mate, it doesn't really matter. Obviously make sure your clothes don't restrict your movement. I usually just wear tracksuit bottoms with a plain t-shirt. Then if I'm doing CV I'll wear a vest top with shirts to help with the sweat. If you're worried about what you'll look like to others, you shouldn't be. People go to exercise not to judge you on your fashion. wear whatever's comfortable!:tongue:

Okay, should I wear anything tight as I don't want things to be jiggling around?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, should I wear anything tight as I don't want things to be jiggling around?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to yeah, I'm guessing you mean during cardio. I personally don't like tight things it just feels to tight and weird around my 'area':colondollar:. But if its comfortable for you, wear it:smile:
Reply 4
Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, what would you suggest like material wise?
I'd recommend tight fit boxers to keep your bits in place. I personally prefer everything else light and loose for comfort.
Reply 6
Original post by WoodyMKC
I'd recommend tight fit boxers to keep your bits in place. I personally prefer everything else light and loose for comfort.

Okay, I don't really wear boxers but will try them out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, what would you suggest like material wise?

So you don't get too hot I wouldn't recommend fleece tracksuit bottoms. There's that other thin shiny-ish material I can't think of atm for some reason I think it's polyester. That's what I wear anyway. And like the guy above I'd say tight boxers as well then you don't need to worry about any bits swinging about :cool:
Reply 8
Wear whatever you feel the most comfortable in. I myself like to wear running shirt and trousers. They're very unrestricted and breathable - suitable for both cardio and weightlifting. :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Frannoooooooo
So you don't get too hot I wouldn't recommend fleece tracksuit bottoms. There's that other thin shiny-ish material I can't think of atm for some reason I think it's polyester. That's what I wear anyway. And like the guy above I'd say tight boxers as well then you don't need to worry about any bits swinging about :cool:

Original post by VannR
Wear whatever you feel the most comfortable in. I myself like to wear running shirt and trousers. They're very unrestricted and breathable - suitable for both cardio and weightlifting. :wink:

Okay, I am planning on doing weights. There is a swimming pool in the gym so what do you advise to wear Speedos or Trunks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
personally i wear a t shirt under a hoodie and jogging bottoms. Like the others have said, wear whatever you feel comfortable in but obviously dress according to exercise. i see guys (and its always guys no idea why) come in with jeans and a jumper to do weights and leave. good luck with it.
Reply 11
Tracksuit and jumper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Okay, I am planning on doing weights. There is a swimming pool in the gym so what do you advise to wear Speedos or Trunks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, whatever you feel the most freedom of movement in - that is what is most important. However, insecurities about you shape may lead you to choose trunks (No judging, mate! You're going to the gym to get better, right?).
Reply 13
I really recommend you get a tshirt that is specially made to wick away sweat and doesn't end up sticking to your back.
http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/pd/tailwind-short-sleeve-v-neck-running-shirt/pid-753478/pgid-498378
Reply 14
Original post by VannR
Again, whatever you feel the most freedom of movement in - that is what is most important. However, insecurities about you shape may lead you to choose trunks (No judging, mate! You're going to the gym to get better, right?).

I am going to build muscle, I am really skinny so speedos are okay but like don't want to look to odd tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am going to build muscle, I am really skinny so speedos are okay but like don't want to look to odd tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't look odd - if it's a pool at the gym everyone will be there to workout. If I'm swimming lengths I always wear speedos as it's considerably more comfortable.
Reply 16
Go for those Dri-Fit material. They really make a difference and keeps your body dry.
Reply 17
Does it matter? The new year crew never last longer than a few weeks anyway ^_^
Reply 18
I get my stuff from here if anyone is interested http://www.herculeangymwear.com
For the love of everything that is good, do not wear gloves.

Quick Reply

Latest