The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by redferry
Me and my boyfriend live in Leeds and both have jobs....

Not the north but both my parents have lived in Birmingham their whole lives and always had jobs.

Where have you lived that's so herrendous?

Personally I'd rather be able to save up over 500 a month from a 16 grand a year job with quick access to the countryside and 2 cinema trips a week, meals out and night out, than live payday to payday in London.

Its about quality of life.

Look at the poverty stats. Birmingham is terrible. The north is very limited for jobs that'll lead to a career. I live down south and can do all that yet im an hour from London and all the best airports in the country.
Reply 81
Original post by geoking
Look at the poverty stats. Birmingham is terrible. The north is very limited for jobs that'll lead to a career. I live down south and can do all that yet im an hour from London and all the best airports in the country.

Just because a city has poor areas doesn't mean its a ****hole. It has loads of startup businesses and is a great city to grow up in. It has the youngest population of any city in the UK and has undergone a huge regeneration.

The highest child poverty rates are in Tower Hamlets...ooh where's that? Oh yeah, London. The lowest are Sheffield and York. Wait aren't they in the North?

Where's your proof that the North is limited in jobs that will lead to a career? In my career path Scotland is one of the best areas to work.

Heathrow and.... Hm pretty sure you aren't an hour away from Manchester!
Reply 82
Original post by geoking

You're right, London has a terrible poverty problem...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24517391

You're an hour from manchester airport and Gatwick? :s-smilie:

Which careers? Apart from IB I can't think of any which are an issue.
Reply 83
Personally i like London a lot as the city life appeals to me but in terms of moving for work after i graduate i'll probably limit myself to Edinburgh, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham and London.

Being in the south is overrated, as a location i love Leeds where i am now.
Reply 84
Just because a city has poor areas doesn't mean its a ****hole. It has loads of startup businesses and is a great city to grow up in. It has the youngest population of any city in the UK and has undergone a huge regeneration.

The highest child poverty rates are in Tower Hamlets...ooh where's that? Oh yeah, London. The lowest are Sheffield and York. Wait aren't they in the North?

Where's your proof that the North is limited in jobs that will lead to a career? In my career path Scotland is one of the best areas to work.

Have you been to Heathrow? Its horrific.

+1 for Scotland
Reply 85
Original post by Quady
Have you been to Heathrow? Its horrific.

+1 for Scotland

Sure as hell beats Gatwick though.

Manchester's definitely my preference.
Reply 86
Original post by Quady
You're right, London has a terrible poverty problem...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24517391

You're an hour from manchester airport and Gatwick? :s-smilie:

Which careers? Apart from IB I can't think of any which are an issue.

London also has the most expensive properties whereas Manchester just has varying levels of crap, same.with Birmingham.
You missed the busiest airport on the world. Good job. Gatwick, Heathrow and stanstead. Better than Manchester. Deal with it.

Enjoy doing law, it, eng, sciences etc in the north. Clearly you've no idea about any of this. North education for ya.
Reply 87

oh look another user getting angsty because "their childhood is being attacked"...I don't care. Startups don't beat the large corporations which have many more vacancies. And London also has the wealthiest areas in the country so lets look at the whole package.
My proof is in job vaccancies. Enjoy working in it, finance, law etc in the north. As in enjoy being unemployed.

Heathrow and Gatwick hammer Manchester airport. Deal with it.
Original post by WGR
We're just joking mate, Leeds is nice however i have genuinely heard that Birmingham is a ****hole.

London is ****ing grim. You couldn't pay me to live there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by geoking
oh look another user getting angsty because "their childhood is being attacked"...I don't care. Startups don't beat the large corporations which have many more vacancies. And London also has the wealthiest areas in the country so lets look at the whole package.
My proof is in job vaccancies. Enjoy working in it, finance, law etc in the north. As in enjoy being unemployed.

Heathrow and Gatwick hammer Manchester airport. Deal with it.

Solihull came out as the best place to live in the UK.

Its people like you that make the South ****. I went to uni an indifferent Midlander and came out vowing never to live in London.

My boyfriend works in finance in Leeds. We are saving soooo much money.

Gatwick was designed by someone who wanted to make travel as hellish as possible.

Stop derailing this thread why do you Londoners always have to turn a sensible conversation into bashing the North?
Reply 90
Original post by geoking
London also has the most expensive properties whereas Manchester just has varying levels of crap, same.with Birmingham.
You missed the busiest airport on the world. Good job. Gatwick, Heathrow and stanstead. Better than Manchester. Deal with it.

Enjoy doing law, it, eng, sciences etc in the north. Clearly you've no idea about any of this. North education for ya.

Well I was educated in the south...
And work in IT... I was offered either London or Glasgow when given the role. before that promotion I was in Warrington
The only barristers I know work in Birmingham...
Theres no science jobs in London, Stevenage, sure, Slough, sure, Cambridge, sure, London no... (apart from the Royal Soceity I guess)

I didn't miss it, its just a crap airport. Stansted? Are you joking? Thats on par with Glasgow (unless they've changed much in the 24 days since I was last at both.

Meh if you don't like warehouse conversions and new build flats then Manchester/Birmingham isn't for you this is true. But you can actually buy the places rather than rent with others.
Reply 91
Original post by sr90
London is ****ing grim. You couldn't pay me to live there.

This.
Original post by Quady
The landlords aren't crying. Enough demand from non-benefit claimants without taking additional risk.

Well if there's that much demand we need to build more houses then
Reply 93
Original post by scrotgrot

Yes...?
Reply 94
Original post by scrotgrot

We've known that for the past decade or so as population increased faster than builds even pre-recession. Its not something that benefits middle England though and all parties know that these people can win elections and they love rising house prices.
Original post by XYZero
Trappin

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by Quady

Theres no science jobs in London

Lies
Reply 97
Solihull came out as the best place to live in the UK.

Its people like you that make the South ****. I went to uni an indifferent Midlander and came out vowing never to live in London.

My boyfriend works in finance in Leeds. We are saving soooo much money.

Gatwick was designed by someone who wanted to make travel as hellish as possible.

Stop derailing this thread why do you Londoners always have to turn a sensible conversation into bashing the North?

According to? Certainly doesn't have anywhere nice to go and the entire of Windsor dicks on it. Ever been to Windsor?

People like me are realistic and people like you make the Northerners seem resentful and immature. I've lived in the north and south - have you? Or just making wild assumptions about places you've never been?

Oh brag about money all you want, I'll still have more and shows how mature you are :smile:
Gatwick has good flight routes. That's all that matters with an airport rather than some ridiculous subjective notion of "making travel as hellish as possible". Again, testament to your maturity.

I'm not a Londoner, I'm just someone who is well travelled. Try it sometime, may help you stop being a bigot.
Reply 98
Original post by Quady
Well I was educated in the south...
And work in IT... I was offered either London or Glasgow when given the role. before that promotion I was in Warrington
The only barristers I know work in Birmingham...
Theres no science jobs in London, Stevenage, sure, Slough, sure, Cambridge, sure, London no... (apart from the Royal Soceity I guess)

I didn't miss it, its just a crap airport. Stansted? Are you joking? Thats on par with Glasgow (unless they've changed much in the 24 days since I was last at both.

Meh if you don't like warehouse conversions and new build flats then Manchester/Birmingham isn't for you this is true. But you can actually buy the places rather than rent with others.

In precisely London, not many science jobs, but down south, that's where they are. Same with IT etc.
Why is it a crap airport? I'm guessing you're going on some weird personal opinion rather than looking at it's connections?
Original post by Quady
Meh if you don't like warehouse conversions and new build flats then Manchester/Birmingham isn't for you this is true.

I rent a flat to myself in a large residential Victorian house in a pleasant leafy area fifteen minutes out of Manchester for £400 a month. I earn £16,000 and still have enough left over to run a car, although I do also have the pick of several direct buses into the centre. My point being you don't have to live in a city to easily work (and play) in it, and the best finds are often when you look ten or fifteen minutes out of the centre :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending